• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

NWA CEO Steenland letter to employees

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
So what you are saying is that these guys need MORE than an MBA to run Northwest. Unbelievable!I especially like how they initially tried to blame the whole event on weather initial. They knew that was an out right lie. The next day, they had to admit it was due to pilot shortage. These guys are really out of touch. No wonder NWA stock is down......

"2. In the spring of this year, recognizing that summer weather might be challenging and that this would be the first summer operating in our post restructuring environment"

so didn't they have weather the other 75 years of operating?

and what does the first quarter in the "post restructuring environment" have to do with anything?

couldn't the bonehead in charge summarize this diatribe of propaganda by simply saying: 'i don't know what the he11 i'm doing running an airline?'

Yeah, airline has problems, blame the employees that do the work that makes the airline run.

Of course. It is Never management's fault when things go bad and are all screwed up.

-Airline goes into BK, Airlines losing money, doesn't have enough people, bought the wrong planes for the the route system, took on too much debt, didn't look forward and anticipate future events/economic conditions; none of it is Ever management's fault, so must be a problem with those 'damn pilots' and other employes, Naturally.

What I have always told people is; "I just fly the airplane (and they don't even pay me enough to do just that), if they really wanted me to manage the company, they'd have to pay me 'a lot' more money,
and of course to be fully qualified, I would have to be only half as smart as I am right now, and of course, 'rid myself of that pesky Common Sense.'

Good luck to you guys as NWA, you've already given them enough (too much), let them figure it out, or just 'quit' (not that they will do that).

Just my $0.02, for what's it worth.

DA

In my 19-years here, I've seen us staffed correctly (ie: few cancellations due to lack of pilots) for maybe 4 Summers.

In '94, our management flexed the airline illegally to cover the staffing screw-up, and we won a grievance that led to nice settlement checks for all our returning furloughed pilots.

In '96, they were so desperate they gave us something they swore they'd never allow: Time-and-a-half pay. We also used our leverage in '96 to lock the Cargo operation into our fragmentation language...meaning Dasburg couldn't steal it when he went to DHL.

In other years we've gotten minor quids that either worked their way into the contract permanently...or gave us more $$ in the short term.

Sounds like our MEC is insisting on permanent quids for any help we give.

Good.

If pilot absenteeism is a huge part of the problem, why doesn't Steenland address a solution in his letter?

Executive bonuses, $400mil, is based on delivering the performance presented during the CH11 exit strategy, and NWA is not hitting these numbers. So, to save their bonu$e$, the executive management team is using all their leverage to find a way to shift the poor performance of the airline to anyone else and protect their performance based bonu$e$.

Good luck with that... I predict that pilot absenteeism will only INCREASE the longer the Company stays away from the table... not as a direct result of course, but simply an indirect result of being flown to the point of fatigue and having to take time off for personal medical issues.

Unfit to fly for mental fatigue is just as grounding an issue as being physically fatigued and, with the schedules I've seen from some DC-9 guys, I'd be fatigued as HELL if I had to fly those pairings. :(

Good luck guys & gals!

What's going to happen when the B787s are ready to be delivered...I really don't get the warm fuzzy...

Latest resources

Back