• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

NW scabs

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
scab is an easy term to use when you have a job, but if your unemployed and a chance comes to support your family, you have little choice. The striking NWA mechs may some day cross some one else's picket line becasue of economic reality.

DDpaysoff said:
Did I hear that right? Analysis interviewed on CNN said they had 14,000 replacement mechanics, mostly made up of furloughed U.S. Air, American, and Delta mechanics were going to do the replacement work. That can't be the true number. I couldn't believe there would be that many scabs out there.

Those who do not learn from history are bound to repeat it. Apparently the AMFA has not learned the lessons that ALPA still refuses to believe.

You can only hose people so many times before they don't care about crossing your picket line. What you are seeing here is no different than the hundreds of ALPA members that crossed ALPA picket lines to scab.

If ALPA had any spine they would of supported their fellow unionists at NWA. But then again, after the way ALPA on a national and local level has acted over the years, this is no surprise.

TonyC said:
There is no NWA pilot picket line.

Which is why this strike will fail. Unionism means that all groups stand together as a unified force. The comment made by NWA ALPA that it was not in their best interests to strike is disgusting.

They are going to be under the crosshairs of Steenland again soon. They deserve everything that happens to them.

filejw said:
Because the pilot group has spent ton's of money researching the economic health of the company and came to the conclusion now is not the time.ALPA's plan is to live to fight an other day.AMFA's is to burn and pillage.

Sorry, but ALPA has been giving ground to "live to fight another day" so long that there is little ground to give.

Tony C.--while I sympathize with COpilot and agree that ALPA is worthless, I do not believe you are full of $h!t. ;) You are right on the legal issues of crossing a picket line, etc. But realize that when they are done with the pax carriers, the cargo ops will be next. They will have perfected their attack plan by then. Supporters will be few and far between at that point. JMO.

COpilot--I feel your pain. ALPA did my career in and is busy working on the rest of the pax carriers. I'm just glad that Woerthless is still getting his $400k/yr. and his pension is still secure just like Duffy and Babbitt. Take care.TC

Nice nwa alpa you will be the first crying when it's your turn. And the f/a's what do you bring to the table? You 2 work groups will have fun when NWA takes 50% of your pay and lays off half of your membership. And no retirement . NWA pilots First to take concessions and first to think about them self. Rember in the unemployment line no one cares what you did for a living.

Just to clarify:

The recent reports are that NWA was able to get 1900 mechanics from various other airlines to take the mechanic jobs in case of a strike. Just wanted to clarify not 14000.

In the end I feel for the mechanics, it was a tough choice. Approve a crap contract and vote away 50% of the jobs, or fight. Hard to say what alot of us would do under the same circumstance.

Good luck.

Ualexpress said:
They didn't need to, the airline was shutdown.

Mechanics were still turning wrenches when the pilots were walking a picket line and the airline was only shut down for revenue service.

Simon Says said:
Mechanics were still turning wrenches when the pilots were walking a picket line and the airline was only shut down for revenue service.

While true, 2005 is a much different time than 1998. I believe the NWA mechanic strike is vastly critical to the entire unionized airline industry.

If the mechanics fail, ALPA, AFA or any other union will be seen by management as having little if any leverage to disrupt operations in the future. I think ALPA has very little leverage to begin with (mostly do to corruption and incompetence within its governing levels), but if the mechanics strike fails it will be a death blow to the pilots. I think ALPA would still exist, but aside from legal and medical advice they would be a lame duck organization. Pilots are harder to replace than mechanics, but if NWA can successfully pull this off I'm sure the pilots will eventually be next.

Unfortunately there is a part of me that believes the mechanics will fail and ultimately the entire unionized industry will go through somewhat of a collapse (and hopefully a re-birth).

I think if Bush and "his" NMB thought the mechanics were likely to succeed they wouldn't have released them from mediation. If the mechanics are shutting down operations and the company is beginning to fail I guarantee a P.E.B. will be put in place by Bush and he will force them back to work...but at this point I think there is another plan.

Latest resources

Back