NW scabs

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Lear 70'

Takes 20 years as a cleaner to make 40 k.

By the way, many F/O's who have flown with you consider you a "TOOL"

20 years or 20 minutes experience in cleaning an airplane - a cleaner is a cleaner is a cleaner. Sorry... a minimum wage job.

Unfortunately, these guys are lumped in with the mechs who, unlike the cleaners, are truly worth every dime they make and then some...

Freight Dog said:
20 years or 20 minutes experience in cleaning an airplane - a cleaner is a cleaner is a cleaner. Sorry... a minimum wage job.

At least we agree on something. I feel the same way about F/O's like you.

freight dog isn't an FO...he's an escapee.

With UAL in Ch-11 for 3 years, not paying much if anything for leases, flooding the industry with below cost tickets, NWA revenues at 1999 levels when fuel was .38 cents and now is $1.54 ( 2.09 BILLION annual INCREASE ) it was crunch time. Pension reform close, things will get going again next year.

Diesel - 9, bullsh$t. Time after time United has either started or jumped right in on a fare increase, and guess who either doesn't go in at all, or increases fares only to pull back at the last minute - INCLUDING LAST WEEKEND!!! Not paying for leases - read the monthly SEC filings. Do a little research before posting that tired nonsense.

psycho said:
Freight Dog said:

At least we agree on something. I feel the same way about F/O's like you.

Remember that the next time you go to the sim and your FO hangs you out to dry because you're an a$$hole.

Freight Dog said:
Cleaners making around 40k a year?!?!? Holy cow!

I'm all for the mechs and keeping their pay at current levels and even higher, but how do you justify cleaners making 40k??? Isn't that normally a non-skilled labor minimum wage job for high school and college students??

---
Northwest Airlines Brings in Replacement Workers
Two Northwest Jets Suffer Mishaps in Detroit
By JOSHUA FREED, AP

MINNEAPOLIS (Aug. 20) - Northwest Airlines jets roared into the sky over the heads of striking mechanics Saturday as the nation's fourth-largest carrier turned over its maintenance to replacement workers on Day 1 of the industry's first major walkout in seven years..............................

After talks broke off just before midnight Friday, union negotiator Jim Young said the mechanics would rather see the airline go into bankruptcy than agree to Northwest's terms. The Aircraft Mechanics Fraternal Association represents 4,427 mechanics, cleaners and custodians, about 11 percent of Northwest's 40,000 employees.

The mechanics average about $70,000 a year in pay, and the cleaners and custodians can make around $40,000.

Does anyone know what percentage of the 50% (approx) job cuts that NWA was demanding would have been cleaners and custodians?

Is it possible that the A&Ps represented by the AMFA fell on their sword to protect a bunch of overpaid maids? Man I hope not

Or, is it possible that those "cleaners" are in fact mechanics who happen to work in NWA's cleaning shop. NWA has always had some of the cleanest airplanes in the business. If given the choice, I'll always (up til now of course) buy a ticket on NWA just because I like clean aircraft.

I'm not proud of it, but I happen to have experience flying around dirty, nasty, airplanes. Maybe the NWA execs need to take a trip from DTW to FLL on one of their LCC competitors dirty old MD80's; that might give them some perspective.:D

enigma

Though it's not a major I did have an interview with Mesaba in Minneapolis this past week. The CP doing the interviewing (and this was verified by several others there including average-joe line pilots) went over the situation with us. As he said it, the cleaners are the only ones being lopped off. NWA wants to outsource the job cheaper than they can do it in house. That represents the 50-some percent of the union as the cleaners/wrench turners are in the same union. As I understood it, they don't want to fire any wrench turners, but do want them to take roughly a 1/4 pay cut.

Mesaba mechanics aren't walking, never intended to. F/A's and Pilots never intended to as I understand either.

That's all I know and it isn't much...but hopefully it will help.

Latest resources

Back