Ntsb Notes First Officer's Failure....in 2003 Fedex Crash

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Falconjet said:
Could have happened to any number of people landing jets that day in Memphis, particularly old ones with many, many cycles on the landing gear.

FJ

Nope, it happened to just one!

If you read the report the company sent us on the basic findings (crash analysis) the LEFT main touched down something like 25 ft RIGHT of centerline. What is more amazing is that you NEVER hear the check airman on the CVR saying "more rudder" or "get on centerline". I know this was a training flight and that this particular crewmember was not liked by many but the check airmen, IMHO, should have stepped in.

I might bang it on but I'm on centerline with the proper wing down...at least that gives me the greatest chance of survival:)

Would be nice if this could be a non gender issue. I would also like to see somebody come to her defense and say "good pilot, bad day". Anyone??

If the pilot stinks, they shouldn't be there. But, way too much political correctness these days, and somebody is going to get killed. Again.

But I did like the comment about the bags, at least the riders had their acts together!!

Hung start:
Someone did come to her defense on wreg (MEM ch 3):

In 1994, an unidentified previous employer indicated that her poor proficiency ratings at that company were the result of her "generally poor airmanship."

This is a total non-gender issue until you realize that it a possibility (only a possiblity) that some are given chances that others are not. Until there is proof of that FedEx and she should be given the benefit of the doubt.

SUNDOWN--You've been in this business a long time if you have 8,000 hours. How can you not be aware of UAL's deplorable hiring practices in the '90's? (And the equally deplorable record of UAL management forcing people through training to the line who should have still been instructing on 152's...)TC[/QUOTE]

My point is that most of the pilots with whom I've flown with and come across during this period are qualified professionals and solid pilots.

Last edited:
Phaedrus said:
Hung start:
In 1994, an unidentified previous employer indicated that her poor proficiency ratings at that company were the result of her "generally poor airmanship."

That employer was Mesaba and I have talked to people that flew with her and said she was terrible.

I think that is the point of most people's frustration. If she got fired/resigned from a regional what the heck is she doing at Fed Ex? There is a pattern of bad airmanship yet she gets hired at a major. It points to one thing...her gender.

For the record, I posted her name, and that info is all over the news media anyway.

Also, I put a page I found about her through google.com. All I quoted was a funny statement that her boyfriend A320 pilot made.

That's it. I have not bashed her flying skills. I personally don't know enough about her to make those kind of comments. Now if there are any (ex)-Mesaba or Fedex pilots here who flew with her, and have known her for a while, then feel free to comment.

Google is amazing. I never even knew the WISHList existed until this thread. The things you don't know...

I know of several female pilots who are among the top pilots I have ever seen in 30+ years as an airline pilot, instructor, check airman and examiner.

I also know of several male pilots that couldn't pass a training program where they were given every conceivable "remediation" possible.

All this has absolutely NOTHING to do with anything. Those of you playing the "gender" card here are only showing your own narrow-minded, simplistic view of your OWN shortcomings.

Sad. Very sad.

Come to think of it, it was a MALE whose repeated failures, poor performance and subsequent FATAL ACCIDENT was the driving force behind the PRIA. Of course, his gender had nothing to do with it. But had he been something other than a white male (of which I am) then all the simpletons would have come out from under their rocks screaming about how it is the fault of the new PC world.

Ignorance comes in many forms, however most of them are as predictable as the sunrise.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back