Ntsb Notes First Officer's Failure....in 2003 Fedex Crash

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
nimtz said:
Agreed on the narrow minded sexism here, but I am also tired of the whole WOMEN FLY thing. The junk on that website is exactly what I'm talking about. Or how about the "Chick Flights" to Oshkosh every year. Yeah big fr*cking deal. It's a hobby/job, not your life. I could care less how your equipped as long as you know what your doing. Maybe male nurses need to start wearing big stickers that say MEN NURSE TOO... :rolleyes:

Ok, now that is funny

Generaly I would have to agree with most of you regarding fed-ex and ups's policy when hirirng female pilots. Alot of these girls did not have the best backgroung to make the jump to a Md-11 or B757. I know of one girl who got on at U.P.S. with a couple of thousand hours right seat time in a gulfstream. That being said though we have two female pilots at our supplemental who are among the best pilots I have ever seen. One is a captain and is the smoothest pilot in the fleet. She runs a great ship.

SUNDOWN:

I agree that most of us know equally capable female aviators.

I am not voicing support for either side in this issue, but not knowing how long you have been in the business I would be careful about espousing your knowledge of history.

I remember a time during the late 80's to 1994 when a large number of S/MWM (Single/Married White Males) were sent a no thankyou letter from United because someone from the EEOC decided to threaten UAL if they did not hire more minorities. The pilot application was changed sometime in 1990 (if memory serves) to mandate a total time of 400 hours with a Commercial Pilot Certificate ... That was IT !!!

Go and speak with any UAL Check Airman who was on the B-73/75/76 during this time period and they should be able to tell you in detail some of the 'situations that were forced upon them by the EEOC'

I challenge you to find many 600 hour caucasian males in new hire class at UALat the time.

What gets experienced pilots wound up is the fact that these weak pilots have the arrogance to put up websites, become poster children for the 'you can do it too crowd long before you are ready' and then expect to be afforded extra training to achieve that ends even if it means resorting to legal action. It's been my experience that being a good pilot has nothing to do with your skin color, sex, creed, religion and everything to do with physical and mental ability that has been modified via training.

Putting up this FO's name was not over the top ... it was cited in numerous web based news articles.

Personally, I am curious what was done to the Check Airman

I don't think it's a question of ability. I've flown with men who didn't have any business flying a kite much less an airplane. I've also flown with women who taught me quite a bit. The thing that ticks most guys off (myself included) is how easy and quickly women get the job. If FEDEX hired her right from a DHC8 they should hire me from my ATR. Right, and monkey's might fly out of my butt. Also, I shouldn't be overly concerned about passing checkrides since multiple failures don't seem to be a big deal. Affirmative action is crap, especially in a field like aviation. WE SHOULD ALL BE HELD TO THE SAME MINS/QUALIFICATIONS/STANDARDS regardless of sex/color, yadda, yadda, yadda. I'm all for equal rights, but let's remember equal rights are NOT special rights.

Putting up this FO's name was not over the top ... it was cited in numerous web based news articles.

Personally, I am curious what was done to the Check Airman[/QUOTE]

My only point was that a weak pilot is a weak pilot, man or woman. I was not at United in the 80's so I am unfamiliar with their hiring practices. If she was a result of some softened training program that that is unfair to everyone. I have to admit, I did not read her website so I do not know her career history.

SUNDOWN said:
You came out of fighters, what kind of time did you have?

My point exactly. I did not have thousands of hours, but I had been trained in a high performance jet.
When I said all you need is hours and being the right gender to be hired , I meant she had thousands of hours, but in slow moving, much lighter and smaller airplanes.
Believe me, I was glad I flew several years medium size jets, before jumping to a widebody.

720degpersec said:
My point exactly. I did not have thousands of hours, but I had been trained in a high performance jet.
720degpersec said:
When I said all you need is hours and being the right gender to be hired , I meant she had thousands of hours, but in slow moving, much lighter and smaller airplanes.
Believe me, I was glad I flew several years medium size jets, before jumping to a widebody.

720 this was not an attack, just an observation,I have flown with pilots who have gone from a DHC8 to a much larger A/C and they seemed too have done just fine.

Latest resources

Back