• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Ntsb Notes First Officer's Failure....in 2003 Fedex Crash

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
"The MD-11, like the DC-10, requires a tremendous amount of study. The cockpit is entirely glass, six screens across. Aircraft systems and navigation are computer-controlled and managed. None of the other airplanes she had flown, including the comparatively large Dash 8 and F27, was anywhere near the size and complexity of her new plane. Fortunately, Robyn’s habit of quickly reading and assimilating information served her well as she pored over the mountains of manuals for the new plane. With this combination of skills and focus, and a lot of application, Robyn earned her MD-11 type-rating in October of 1998, and was back at the controls."

--Larry Newman (writing for Woman Pilot magazine)

yay, i may have a chance at flying night cargo after all

instead of wasting seven grand on that pft outfit out of dallas,
i'll just get a prosthetic vagina and fail a bfr

You probably shouldn't post the individuals name. I don't know how you got it, but there is a reason it is absent from the NTSB report. Also, there is a lesson to be learned here that wasn't addressed in the summary (which I kinda find hard to beleive). On the transcript, the WAGS (Windshear Alert and Guidance System) in the MD-11 alerted "Tail Windshear, Tail Windshear". Since, the throttles never got to 95% it never went into the go-around mode and stayed in the landing mode. Since the accident FedEx has made some modifications to the MD-11 CFM, especially concerning WAGS and PWS. Hopefully, this accident can prevent further ones when dealing with "windshear" during final.

This is just too easy. It would not be fair, it would be like piling on in football. This chick should be a poster girl for what is wrong with airline affirmitive action programs.

I am glad to see a lot has changed in this buisness. I remember when pilots use to have certain biases against women. This thread makes me sick. I have flown with just as many weak dudes as chicks. Karma is a B1tch guys. You know what they say about judging other pilots. If she was weak....as it apears, I am sure she will or has been dealt with. But does this really need to turn into a "girls aren't qualified to fly" thread. I mean when is the last time you heard of pilot in the Mil or Civ doing something stupid in his plane ( almost weekly). We all have friends who are chicks that fly, and I am sure most of us know some pretty fre@k1ng good women pilots so lets lay off that issue, it's old. And if you are gonna post a name put yours up as the author..that seems fair.

Last edited:
Someone should at least take her webpage down. It's not helping at this point. The opening line says "OK, we all know women can fly airplanes." That's certainly gonna be fodder for the cannon.

Last edited:
SUNDOWN said:
I am glad to see a lot has changed in this buisness. I remember when pilots use to have certain biases against women. This thread makes me sick. I have flown with just as many weak dudes as chicks. Karma is a B1tch guys. You know what they say about judging other pilots. If she was weak....as it apears, I am sure she will or has been dealt with. But does this really need to turn into a "girls aren't qualified to fly" thread. I mean when is the last time you heard of pilot in the Mil or Civ doing something stupid in his plane ( almost weekly). We all have friends who are chicks that fly, and I am sure most of us know some pretty fre@k1ng good women pilots so lets lay off that issue, it's old. And if you are gonna post a name put yours up as the author..that seems fair.

Agreed on the narrow minded sexism here, but I am also tired of the whole WOMEN FLY thing. The junk on that website is exactly what I'm talking about. Or how about the "Chick Flights" to Oshkosh every year. Yeah big fr*cking deal. It's a hobby/job, not your life. I could care less how your equipped as long as you know what your doing. Maybe male nurses need to start wearing big stickers that say MEN NURSE TOO... :rolleyes:

720degpersec said:
Fedex hired her after flying the Dash-8 ???

Kind of a big jump in size, speed and complexity, between a Dash-8 and an MD-11....Oh well all that counts is the number of hours and the right gender, to be hired I guess...

Check this video and compare it to a medium turbo-prop landing...

http://www.flightlevel350.com/public_viewer.php?cat=76&pic=2569

You came out of fighters, what kind of time did you have?

Latest resources

Back