Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
VaB said:
:rolleyes:
Ya'd think the NTSB would know why those guys were throwing there bags out. Unless, of course, it's another conspiracy which I believe to be true.

Then I can sleep easy and thank God every night that good "men" like you are looking out for me.:rolleyes:

DC8 Flyer said:
Wow, you're an ass. I got hired and typed in a DC8 after only 1000 hours of DHC8 time. I thought it was actually easier to fly the DC8 than the Dash.

Thanks for the sweet words.

Read again. I said from turbo-prop to the wide-body with the fastest approach speed....Now that is a nice transition...
Not from turbo-prop to a medium-jet....

NTSB said:
Aviation Week & Space Technology
FedEx Crash Highlights Need to Correct Performance Deficiencies
05/22/2005 12:31:36 PM
By Frances Fiorino

Evacuation, however, was impeded by crewmembers attempting to retrieve personal belongings before exiting. According to the NTSB, most of the pilots on board exposed themselves to unnecessary risk by doing so.

As long as they cling to this falsehood, I will have to consider the entire report suspect. I would like to believe they are an objective body in search of truth. Alas, this isn't the first, last, or greatest disappointment in my life.

Tony,

I've always felt that the final report form the NTSB was like a spoiled kid trying to make all his views known. One of the "irrelevant facts" that has stuck with me was the FO on the SKYW Metroliner that was crushed by the US 737 in LAX fourteen years ago--the report notes in four places he had sudafed in his system. They do note that it played no factor in the accident (of a 20x larger plane coming out of the dark from above and behind!) but they still mentioned it four times--in the same context as the US captain's unauthorized use of phenobarbitol--pilot self-medication. Bet his family appreciated that.

It seems they aren't happy unless they can get everyone a little dirty. June 13-15th is PCL's hearing--bet that will be just as unpleasent and irrelevant.

How long does it take an MD11 to spool-up to GA Power (95%) and why was the PIC/Check Airman not reacting in words or actions at the WS alert? FAR's clearly define satisfactory performance as when the successful outcome of a maneuver is never in doubt. Since 2000, has there not been sufficient AC's and FAA guidance on Wake turbulence and Wind shear avoidance? I can recount with not enough fingers and toes the number of times this has been addressed in training with flight departments and FAA check rides in the last few years. Seems the PIC let this get away from her, the aircraft and his capabilities.

The PIC is there to assure the safety of the flight. The Check Airman is there for evaluation of a flight crewmember(s) proficiency, judgement and skill. Female, Shemale or Hemale.

PC issue is benign though well extrapolated on all viewpoints. If it is true and her record was shady at best with previous employers and it was documented, why was she hired? If her performance and unsatisfactory checkrides were justified and documented, why was she not fired? If there was not a valid, in depth and justified record of her performance, then shame on her supervisors, check airman and chief Pilots. This is where PC goes bizzerk. When we get paranoid about putting anything in anyone's record for fear of reprisal. It becomes a runaway train wreck, no one knows where or when the individual will run out of track or luck.

It is with great comfort that the Non Revs made it out alright with their christmas goodies, though. It could have been alot worse, I am sure.

Just because someone else is running a person through the mud by posting their name, doesn't make it right for you to jump in. Consider the source and their character and class (or lack thereof) of those individuals and their venue. We are professionals and we have character and class. We are supposed to be set apart and rise above that type of behavior. AND, Smacking down a brother who has slipped up in this regard is not any better. We are too, quick to tear each other down as is easy to do behind a keyboard.

This woman's career is likely over and we should not joy in any persons' premature departure from the industry. It is unfortunate that some folks just don't belong in the cockpit and too, many instructors are too, wrapped up in the moment to honestly assess an individuals skill, talent and aptitude as unadaptable and unsafe recreationally or otherwise at the controls of an aircraft. The industry failed this woman and not the other way around.

100-1/2

Last edited:
100-1/2 said:
How long does it take an MD11 to spool-up to GA Power
Pssssst... It was an MD-10.

The windshear "event" was long before the landing, and was not a factor. That's why the report reads, "the board ruled out wind shear as a factor." Of course, if you missed the MD-10-10 part, I shouldn't expect you to catch that detail.

100-1/2 said:
... why was the PIC/Check Airman not blah blah blah? FAR's clearly define blah blah blah. Since 2000, has there not been sufficient AC's and FAA guidance on blah blah blah? I can recount with not enough fingers and toes the number of times this has been addressed in training with flight departments and FAA check rides in the last few years. Seems the PIC let this get away from her, the aircraft and his capabilities.

It is unfortunate that some folks just don't belong in the cockpit and too, many instructors are too, wrapped up in the moment to honestly assess an individuals skill, talent and aptitude as unadaptable and unsafe recreationally or otherwise at the controls of an aircraft.

-----------------------------------------

Smacking down a brother who has slipped up in this regard is not any better. We are too, quick to tear each other down as is easy to do behind a keyboard.
So, which is it? Do we condemn the Captain, or to we reserve judgment? I know what I'm doing.

100-1/2 said:
If it is true and her record was blah blah blah and it was documented, why was she hired? If her performance and unsatisfactory checkrides were blah blah blah, why was she not fired?

------------------------------------------

This woman's career is likely over and we should not joy in any persons' premature departure from the industry.
So, is her departure from the industry overdue, or premature? I'm having a hard time interpreting your opinion.

100-1/2 said:
The industry failed this woman and not the other way around.
I don't know whether to laugh or cry, that is such a profoundly ridiculous thing to say.

:shakin' head:

By the way, who taught you to put a comma after too?
( too, quick ... too, many ... too, wrapped up ...)

Last edited:
100-1/2 said:
The industry failed this woman and not the other way around.

100-1/2

Political correctness and equal opportunity let the aviation industry down. Could anybody imagine how this whole incident would have been reported if it was a passenger carrying accident?

First off, the ignorant media would have falsely reported that the "pilot" (in other words the captain, since as far as the media is concerned they are the only people that fly the airplane) used improper technique, ect and was solely responsible for the mishap.

Second, other than the NTSB report there probably would not be one mention that a pilot that had no place on the front of any airplane was actually at the controls, nevermind an unqualified minority.

I wonder how many people this pilot interviewed with when they got hired, as well as the qualifications of the ones that didn't get hired that day, week, month, whatever.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back