• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

NTSB info on SWA at LGA crash

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
If the captain was nervous about this airport, he must really hate MDW and the River Vis in DCA.

Anyone know when the A/P was disconnected?

Based on a reported 11 kt tailwind below 1000' and a 11 knot headwind on the runway, the aircraft would have experienced a significant increase in ias and would go high on glide path at the point where wind shift occurred if it was a shear rather than a gradual change. If that's what happened, "go-around" rather than "I've got it" would have been the correct call. We'll see what the NTSB comes up with.

C'mon....Seriously?!?!?!?!

Severe weather that close to the airport MANDATES the decision not to even land at the airport let alone attempt an approach! Remember DL 191 landing at DFW?

i remember 191 I had departed earlier in the day, they encountered weather on final, mandates and realistically are two different animals.... more details will emerge

All I've got to say is tops at something....avoidance bid. I think we've got to wait and see what her rationale was taking a plane at 400 feet that was stabilized and on speed. It will be interesting to see what the NTSB has to say about her actions or what actually was said and done.

All I've got to say is tops at something....avoidance bid. I think we've got to wait and see what her rationale was taking a plane at 400 feet that was stabilized and on speed. It will be interesting to see what the NTSB has to say about her actions or what actually was said and done.

I don't think it wasn't necessary to point out the sex of the Captain. Its irrelevant!! Eventually some idiot will start making male chauvinistic comments. What should be relevant discussion are the decisions and actions the crew took as a cohesive unit. We can all learn from other pilots mistakes therefore keeping us, our families, and the people who entrust their lives in us safe!

The NTSB report says that the winds went from a 10 knot tail to a 10 knot headwind during the approach. If for some reason you aren't situationally aware of the effect that this would have on the aircraft it might seem that your FO keeps "getting fast" or even "getting fast and high on glideslope".

I think there's a good chance that she was actually given the aircraft control rather than the case being that she took control of it.

If she (the capt) was riding the controls excessively in her role as the pilot monitoring the situation may have progressed to the point where the pilot flying (the FO) could no longer determine what were his inputs vs. her inputs vs. the weather or wake turb. He may have "opted out" of the situation by handing the whole thing over to her.

Maybe the FO was a Kernal and thought he was still in the f-14 and tried pulling the ejection handle and nothing happened.

Not my intent to point out if its a male or female. I've flown with more than my fair share of dudes who were bad. As a FO I question her taking the control at 400ft...If you don't like it then go around. Being a member of the avoidance group though should give you insights on the type of person you're dealing with. And are there FOs that are the same way? Sure....and according to the NTSB the aircraft was on Path and on Speed until just above the numbers (when the captain took control).

Can some explain "being a member of the avoidance group"? Is it a formal thing or just someone a lot of folks bid around?

Latest resources

Back