• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

'Not as talented'...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
More experienced pilots would never break sterile cockpit-oh yeah; I guess they forgot about the whole Delta 727 crash in DFW due to them forgetting to put the flaps down while flirting with the FA.

Didn't happen. I personally know the guy who was the F/E on that.

They two engine taxiied out and the Capt. gave them a grand total of 90 seconds to get the third engine started, do the checklists as he pushed the throttle forward. Unfortunately, they missed the flaps.

More experienced pilots would never break sterile cockpit-oh yeah; I guess they forgot about the whole Delta 727 crash in DFW due to them forgetting to put the flaps down while flirting with the FA.

That accident was almost 21 years ago... those that don't learn from accidents are doomed to repeat them. (also note the contributing factors here...this happened just after the Western merger...)

Biggest difference I see between the 727 and the Q though is that the 727 had a mechanical failure (takeoff config was found to be inop) , the Q however was a perfectly working machine that got too slow then stalled.

From the NTSB site on the DAL accident:

(1) THE CAPTAIN AND FIRST OFFICER'S INADEQUATE COCKPIT DISCIPLINE WHICH RESULTED IN THE FLIGHTCREW'S ATTEMPT TO TAKEOFF WITHOUT THE WING FLAPS AND SLATS PROPERLY CONFIGURED; AND (2) THE FAILURE OF THE TAKEOFF CONFIGURATION WARNING SYSTEM TO ALERT THE CREW THAT THE AIRPLANE WAS NOT PROPERLY CONFIGURED FOR THE TAKEOFF. CONTRIBUTING TO THE ACCIDENT WAS DELTA'S SLOW IMPLEMENTATION OF NECESSARY MODIFICATIONS TO ITS OPERATING PROCEDURES, MANUAL'S, CHECKLISTS, TRAINING, AND CREW CHECKING PROGRAMS WHICH WERE NECESSITATED BY SIGNIFICANT CHANGES IN THE AIRLINE FOLLOWING RAPID GROWTH AND MERGER. ALSO CONTRIBUTING TO THE ACCIDENT WAS THE LACK OF SUFFICIENTLY AGGRESSIVE ACTION BY THE FAA TO HAVE KNOWN DEFICIENCIES CORRECTED BY DELTA AND THE LACK OF SUFFICIENT ACCOUNTABILITY WITHIN THE FAA'S AIR CARRIER INSPECTION PROCESS.

Mr. Yurman was a Vietnam-era helicopter pilot and Army O-4 and was an NTSB investigator, but does not hold an ATP and has never flown Part 121.

If one were to research the catalyst for the sterlie cockpit rule, it can be traced directly to an Eastern Airlines DC-9 that crashed while exectuting an non-precision approach to Charleston, SC. I might be wrong about the destination, but I know that is where it can be traced back to. Correct me if I am wrong, Eastern Airlines was the airline that Eddie Rickenbacker built and was full of so-called "talented real airline pilots".

My trombone professor in college had a saying that he often repeated; Talent and 75 cents will buy you a cup of coffee. (that was in 1986)

Every pilot group has extensive crash histories. The military, the majors, the regionals, corporate, and general aviation all crash airplanes. No group is immune from pilot error, mechanical failure, or unprofessional conduct.

I think the pay at regional airlines should doubled, so we can act like those real professional pilots at the majors. Then there will be no more crashes at the regional airlines, ever again, and then we will never have casual conversation below 10,000 feet. Just like the majors, gosh they are so perfect and wonderful!

Hey Rez, I'm doing pretty good...Still digesting the hearing. I've listened to both of the morning sessions in their entirety. Hopefully, we can all make something good happen out of something really tragic. I hope that the responsible journalists and
experts will recognize the plight of the regional airline pilot. Rather than just bash us for our lack of training, lack of experience ad nauseum...

Regards,

ex-Navy Rotorhead

Latest resources

Back