Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Jimdandy said:
Thanks to George W. Bush!

Labor will never have a chance to stand up to mgmt with guys like him in office appting. judges and magistrates and making policy - we are all FUBARed

Why is it Georges fault??

It is the state of the industry, it has arrived at this point through many administrations, to blame George is a little short sighted. The industry didn't arrive at this point overnight.

Flight Crew outsourcing has been going on for a long time by putting "regional" aircraft and crews on mainline routes and by giving them larger and larger aircraft with lower pay and benefits.

Seems like NWA is just trying to play catchup to the likes of DAL, UAL, etc...

I have to laugh at these clowns that blame everything on George Bush. I guess when you don't understand a complex problem, it makes you feel better to have someone to blame, even if they don't have anything to do with your particular problem.

Ty Webb said:
I have to laugh at these clowns that blame everything on George Bush. I guess when you don't understand a complex problem, it makes you feel better to have someone to blame, even if they don't have anything to do with your particular problem.

I'm glad you understand the "complex problem" we have.

Republican administrations have always been less friendly to organized labor. I guess they're not happy that unions give almost all their political contributions to Democrats. Personally, I have to laugh at pilots that like to think of themselves as something other than working class union labor, and vote Republican. Then they can't figure out why the administration and congress isn't concerned about issues like pension reform.

Get back on track,

Read between the lines, if NWA is publicly stating that their thinking about outsourceing International pilot/FA's, generally the most senior of the group, I bet that this is a tactic to get senior employees to take a early retirement, when it comes available. It would save mgt. a big fight with the most stalwart group of pilots when the concession talks begin

Rogue5 said:
Flight Crew outsourcing has been going on for a long time by putting "regional" aircraft and crews on mainline routes and by giving them larger and larger aircraft with lower pay and benefits.

Seems like NWA is just trying to play catchup to the likes of DAL, UAL, etc...

How's the union drive going at SkyWest?

Good luck to you guys. I hope you can finally organize.

GP

Hair-on-Fire said:
Republican administrations have always been less friendly to organized labor. I guess they're not happy that unions give almost all their political contributions to Democrats.

Labor was in a downward spiral during CLinton's 8 years, chief. Don't kid yourself. Politicians get their money from corporations and wealthy shareholders.

Personally, I have to laugh at pilots that like to think of themselves as something other than working class union labor, and vote Republican.

Personally, I have to laugh at message-board pilots that think that things would have been better under John Kerry! If that was the best the Democratic party could offer, no wonder they lost.

Maybe, instead of blaming Bush, you should blame the DNC for giving America such a lousy slate of contenders . . . . and then they name Dean to head the party. You really want those buffoons running the country?

Not me.

SWAPoolie said:
Maybe the pilots and FAs should have supported the mechanics.

NWA probably would have declared bankruptcy that much quicker, thus removing any leverage (if there ever was any) from the remaining unions. Management would have accomplished their goals that much quicker.

This was a Crandall AAL idea, 1989 proposal, that AAL would become a marketing company selling tickets on routes. Then companies would bid to fly those routes. Low bidder gets the route. Iaccoa proposed this for Chrysler in 1979, Chrysler would design cars, have dealer network and farm out all the manufacturing to the low bidder, if the unions and banks did not go along with the reorganization plan. Look at them today, they are the only profitable N. American auto maker. This is not something new.

Latest resources

Back