• Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

lumax

Northwest plans flight attendant outsourcing

Report: Airline wants to save by farming out its prized overseas routes

MSNBC News Services
Updated: 9:03 a.m. ET Oct. 26, 2005

Northwest Airlines is planning to outsource some of the positions filled by senior flight attendants on its coveted international routes according to a report in Wednesday’s Wall Street Journal.
Emboldened by its success in beating a mechanics strike with an army of replacement workers, the move is another sign that the airline, which filed for bankruptcy-court protection last month, wants to become a “virtual airline,” with all sorts of jobs previously claimed by organized labor outsourced to cheaper workers according to the newspaper report — a tactic the paper says other airlines may be forced to copy.
Northwest told its bankruptcy-court judge earlier this month that it will ask the court at a Nov. 16 hearing to cancel its current labor contracts if the unions do not agree by the middle of November to new conditions that would save hundreds of millions of dollars a year the newspaper reported. The airline is also trying to outsource pilot and ground-worker jobs, the paper said.

When is management going to see labor as an asset rather than a liability?
Companies that have realized that are successful, SWA, Costco.

Not to mention Pan Am, Eastern and American...

I have a hard time believing that there isn't a well-educated Asian or Indian executive out there who could do Steenland's job at 25 cents on the dollar.

Maybe the board should look into this.

outsource the ceo

zonker said:
I have a hard time believing that there isn't a well-educated Asian or Indian executive out there who could do Steenland's job at 25 cents on the dollar.

Maybe the board should look into this.

Try 10 cents on the dollar! Steenland won't be done until he sells the entire company.

lumax said:
Northwest plans flight attendant outsourcing

Report: Airline wants to save by farming out its prized overseas routes

MSNBC News Services
Updated: 9:03 a.m. ET Oct. 26, 2005

Northwest Airlines is planning to outsource some of the positions filled by senior flight attendants on its coveted international routes according to a report in Wednesday’s Wall Street Journal.
Emboldened by its success in beating a mechanics strike with an army of replacement workers, the move is another sign that the airline, which filed for bankruptcy-court protection last month, wants to become a “virtual airline,” with all sorts of jobs previously claimed by organized labor outsourced to cheaper workers according to the newspaper report — a tactic the paper says other airlines may be forced to copy.
Northwest told its bankruptcy-court judge earlier this month that it will ask the court at a Nov. 16 hearing to cancel its current labor contracts if the unions do not agree by the middle of November to new conditions that would save hundreds of millions of dollars a year the newspaper reported. The airline is also trying to outsource pilot and ground-worker jobs, the paper said.

I wonder if the traveling public would balk at that? I guess as long as the flight arrives on time and tickets remain dirt cheap, they won't care?

jetexas said:
I guess as long as the flight arrives on time and tickets remain dirt cheap, they won't care?
Not only is that true but it's always been the case. Unions are weak and bankruptcy-boosted management is strong right now. Welcome to the 21st century.

I think this is indicative of a major trend that not many people are paying attention to - the one of outsourcing upper middle-class white collar jobs like accounting, etc. (People notic it but there is not the outcry there is over US companies taking major factory jobs overseas, etc.)

I'm reading The World Is Flat by Thomas Friedman, very interesting argument that can increasingly be applied to the aviation industry...

Thanks to George W. Bush!

Labor will never have a chance to stand up to mgmt with guys like him in office appting. judges and magistrates and making policy - we are all FUBARed

Latest resources

Back