• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Non-paid MEL time builder LA CE-340

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Where are the PFT'ers???? I figured they would be all over this. Oh, wait, they would get paid for expenses. Sorry, not for them. Maybe this guy should require his "employees" to pay him, for his sorry ass outfit.

Where's Fre8rSIC?

Last edited:
If you were in his position wouldn't you try to get someone to come along without paying? Not saying it's right!

No, I wouldn't. And if you're "not saying it's right", exactly what are you saying?

I think anyone who flies for such a dirtbag should himself be singled out and ostracized. The guy can afford the plane, let him pay a fair price for a pilot.

dhc8fo said:
I am glad that you all are taking on this bold crusade because I fully agree with you all, but you know full well that some J-HOLE will take the job thinking he is getting a great opportunity.....

There is a guy in the area who doesn't have his commercial and he called a friend of mine to see what he could study for Flight Safety training in a Cheyenne. He said he got a job flying so-and-so around and was going to training on the plane. My friend knew he didn't have commercial and called him on it and the guy said, "I am not getting paid. He is just paying for my training and then I will be flying for him for free to build time."

MAKES ME SICK and sad....

I think the FAA would consider the flight training and the "free time" compensation that would require a Commercial Ticket.

Someone who's in the area keep us posted as to what happens. But for now, I need to move this thread as it shouldn't really be in the employment intel since it has ended up being a forum thread.

CalifDan said:
I think the FAA would consider the flight training and the "free time" compensation that would require a Commercial Ticket.

Nope. I can let anyone I want fly my airplane and pay the bills. Flightsafety isn't compensation, it's probably an insurance requirement. Not to mention common sense. It's cheaper to train a knucklehead than it is to have said knucklehead ball up my airplane. I can go buy a G-550, pay for the type for as many people as I want and let them fly it and all they need is their private ticket.

Just like a kid can fly dad's airplane and what not.

I was once invited by a casual acquaintance to go along on an air ambulance 135 flight with an offer to check me out in the MU-2 on the empty leg back home. Having never flown the MU-2 before and having nothing better to do, I agreed to go along.

Several days later I heard that the guy had his ticket pulled before the flight by the Feds by "emergency revocation." Apparently I was the only pilot on board for a 135 flight with a valid certificate and medical, only I didn't know it.

This guy still operates a 135 business in SE California. He also likes(or used to) to turn his lights and transponder off and cruise up in the flight levels.

Keep your head on a swivel out there.

UAL78 said:
Someone who's in the area keep us posted as to what happens. But for now, I need to move this thread as it shouldn't really be in the employment intel since it has ended up being a forum thread.

This guy has been around for years. I remember his ad back in 2001. Same thing, same benefits, same pay, except he has a different airplane now.

Local FSDOs consider flight time to be compensation, so unless the second pilot is paying a pro rata share of the flight, one needs a commercial certificate.

Be around SoCal long enough and you'll get a flier on your car advertising flight instruction for free. It makes it hard for the flight schools that are trying to be the low cost leader.

There are other things to fight crusades about.

Fly SAFE!
Jedi Nein

Now, maybe I read this wrong, but:
If the guy has no valid license, and he wants to fly legs, doesn't the other guy need to be a MEI? He's advertising for a CFII...

mrnolmts said:
Now, maybe I read this wrong, but:
If the guy has no valid license, and he wants to fly legs, doesn't the other guy need to be a MEI? He's advertising for a CFII...

Only if he wants to log his flight time... Other than that, it is nothing more than a private pilot using the resources of a passenger sitting in the right seat to reduce the PIC's workload.

I said what the hell and E-maild him to see his responce,

Thanks for sending the resume. I think your hours are too low to satisfy my insurance company, but if you find yourself in LA give me a call and I'd like to meet you. We can doa $l,000 hamburger run. Best.

Steve
----------------

Hello, Steve

Thanks for the reply, There are other ways to satisfy insurance co's Like aircraft check out with a CFI etc. which is usually the way it works from the people I have spoken with. Most pilots charge $200.00 + Expenses a day for piloting services. I would be willing to fly for you for expenses only but you would have to cover any insurance & check outs required etc. If I am in the LA area I will give you a call.

----------------------------

Having owned this twin Cessna now for four years, Steven, I can ASSURE you that twin insurance requires a minimum of (about) 500 hours ME and 1,000 tt. This is USAIG currently, but it was the same with all the others, AOPA, etc. Also, NO twin insurance policy will be issued unless the pilots take annual recurrent training (and yes, you are right: there are "some" instructors that have received insurance company approval to do that--but its a lot more than just a check ride. Its at least a full day of Vmc cuts, etc.) I sort of enjoy it, the simulators are fun and very realistic and I pay for my co pilot to go with me. We've done FlightSafety, SimCom, RTC and this year I'm not sure but it comes up in May.

Steve

-----------

I Replied back with Proof you can get insurance just it cost a whole bunch!

------------

thanks very much Steven for the detailed info. I have nothing to do (nor do I want anything to do) with rental a/c of questionable quality, pilots who flew it either well or terribly, didn't report their spronged landings, running LOP to save money, etc. I am only telling you what the real world is with regard to us twin pilot owners.

Having said that, via Avweb and several other sources I have a list of about 500 pilots (unfortunately, many not in So Cal) that want to build time and tell me that Twin Time is golden. So i won't charge them for sitting up front and they won't charge me for building the time and a win-win is created. Some are fortunate enough to have local instructor jobs (I prefer CFIIs since I learn from them too), others live with their parents, etc.

:laugh:

So this guy wants a 1,000 hour pilot With 500 Hour Multi? Gee he really wants the entire COW and the Farmers Ranch not just a steak.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back