Non-paid MEL time builder LA CE-340

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
F9 Buff said:
Only if he wants to log his flight time... Other than that, it is nothing more than a private pilot using the resources of a passenger sitting in the right seat to reduce the PIC's workload.
I thought someone said he lost his medical... Thus he's no longer a qualified pilot.

As long as the airplane is under 12,500# and doesn't require a type and can be flown single pilot, a multi private can fly it. Now this guy isn't splitting the costs so the PIC of the a/c needs to be a multi commercial pilot. The PIC is in command of the aircraft and if he wants to let the pax in the right seat steer the plane or manipulate the controls there isn't a reg against that as far as I know.

Look at like this. Back in the day when you got your private you then took up a friend or someone to fly with you. You probably let them take the controls for a few minutes and showed him how easy it was to fly the plane right? Legally this is the same as mr cheapo lawyer up there.

Or, I knew a guy that got free "uncertified" flight instruction from another guy that was practicing for his CFI checkride. He figured he would get free "uncertified" instruction before he went to a real CFI and log the time. Personally, it sounded stupid to me but I guess it made his costs go down since he breezed through the private when he was with the real instructor. Oh yeah, he didn't log any of the "uncertified" instruction since legally he couldn't. When he got to the real CFI, he already knew how to land and do all the maneuvers though so he finished in minimum logged time.

Last edited:
F9, I suspect El Cheepo will want to fly his legs from the left seat. This produces an interesting scenario if the Freebie pilot is not a CFI.

NW_Pilot said:
I said what the hell and E-maild him to see his responce,

Thanks for sending the resume. I think your hours are too low to satisfy my insurance company, but if you find yourself in LA give me a call and I'd like to meet you. We can doa $l,000 hamburger run. Best.

Steve
----------------

Hello, Steve

Thanks for the reply, There are other ways to satisfy insurance co's Like aircraft check out with a CFI etc. which is usually the way it works from the people I have spoken with. Most pilots charge $200.00 + Expenses a day for piloting services. I would be willing to fly for you for expenses only but you would have to cover any insurance & check outs required etc. If I am in the LA area I will give you a call.

----------------------------

Having owned this twin Cessna now for four years, Steven, I can ASSURE you that twin insurance requires a minimum of (about) 500 hours ME and 1,000 tt. This is USAIG currently, but it was the same with all the others, AOPA, etc. Also, NO twin insurance policy will be issued unless the pilots take annual recurrent training (and yes, you are right: there are "some" instructors that have received insurance company approval to do that--but its a lot more than just a check ride. Its at least a full day of Vmc cuts, etc.) I sort of enjoy it, the simulators are fun and very realistic and I pay for my co pilot to go with me. We've done FlightSafety, SimCom, RTC and this year I'm not sure but it comes up in May.

Steve

-----------

I Replied back with Proof you can get insurance just it cost a whole bunch!

------------

thanks very much Steven for the detailed info. I have nothing to do (nor do I want anything to do) with rental a/c of questionable quality, pilots who flew it either well or terribly, didn't report their spronged landings, running LOP to save money, etc. I am only telling you what the real world is with regard to us twin pilot owners.

Having said that, via Avweb and several other sources I have a list of about 500 pilots (unfortunately, many not in So Cal) that want to build time and tell me that Twin Time is golden. So i won't charge them for sitting up front and they won't charge me for building the time and a win-win is created. Some are fortunate enough to have local instructor jobs (I prefer CFIIs since I learn from them too), others live with their parents, etc.

:laugh:

So this guy wants a 1,000 hour pilot With 500 Hour Multi? Gee he really wants the entire COW and the Farmers Ranch not just a steak.

Do you realize you are begging him to fly for free? Its just sad...

P.S. Thanks for contributing on bringing down the wages of all us pilots that don't live with mommy and daddy.

I got a response back from him, told me that it was a non-paying position (my offer was $250/day). Hope everyone here does the same. Said that I must not have read the ad correctly. What an idiot.

Check 6 said:
F9, I suspect El Cheepo will want to fly his legs from the left seat. This produces an interesting scenario if the Freebie pilot is not a CFI.

It doesn't matter which seat you fly from, dude. Any pilot can sit on either side. You have to do lots of reaching from the right side to handle some emergencies in a 340, I think it is a stupid thing to do and I don't let anyone do it with me, but it can be done legally.

JO was right all along. He does pay his Mesa pilots too much. How can you tell? He has a huge stack of resumes on his desk of pilots wanting to work there for the current pay.

RJDC said:
JO was right all along. He does pay his Mesa pilots too much. How can you tell? He has a huge stack of resumes on his desk of pilots wanting to work there for the current pay.

Outstanding!

dhc8fo, I should have clarified my remarks. I believe that the insurance company would have problems with an NON-cfi in the right seat allowing a non-pilot (no medical = non-pilot) be the PF from the left seat. This opens up the current/rated pilot (PNF) to hold the liability bag - possibly.

Yes, I also have a good amount of CE-340 PIC time plus FSI trained in the airplane.

Just food for thought.

IHateMgmt said:
Do you realize you are begging him to fly for free? Its just sad...

P.S. Thanks for contributing on bringing down the wages of all us pilots that don't live with mommy and daddy.

I was just seeing what this guy was all about!

Latest resources

Back