• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Non-paid MEL time builder LA CE-340

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Yeah, it doesn't matter what seat you are in in the eyes of the FAA, I bet you could probably even get away with being PIC in the backseat for portions of the flight. As we know though, even though the FAA makes the rules, they don't decide how it really happens, insurance does that. I don't know what kind of insurance policy he has but I bet you are right about them wanting the PIC in the left seat. Either way, it seems shady all around. You could legally do it, and if he had enough money, you could even be get the insurance to go along with it, but morally it just aint right.

This is bad for more than just 1 reason. He wants to be the PF every other leg. Well guess who is fully responsible EVERY leg? Whoever flies for this guy.

I once did something like this except I got paid. It was a T-210, and the owner was just a VFR private pilot who wanted someone along on trips. Once we were on an IFR flight plan, and he was left seat. He had some IFR training but no ticket. While getting vectored onto an ILS, he just blows right through the localizer and I realize its my ticket on the line.

After that, when we went IFR, I was left seat and doing all the flying.

An interesting way to make this guy regret not paying a pilot? Well agree to fly for him, but each time he wants you out there to fly, just dont show up. Tell him someone called wanted to pay you for a flight, so you had to take it.

Nice one 414!

At least someone could get the free training out of the deal....

414Flyer said:
This is bad for more than just 1 reason. He wants to be the PF every other leg. Well guess who is fully responsible EVERY leg? Whoever flies for this guy.

I once did something like this except I got paid. It was a T-210, and the owner was just a VFR private pilot who wanted someone along on trips. Once we were on an IFR flight plan, and he was left seat. He had some IFR training but no ticket. While getting vectored onto an ILS, he just blows right through the localizer and I realize its my ticket on the line.

After that, when we went IFR, I was left seat and doing all the flying.

An interesting way to make this guy regret not paying a pilot? Well agree to fly for him, but each time he wants you out there to fly, just dont show up. Tell him someone called wanted to pay you for a flight, so you had to take it.

:D

Except he would probably find a way to sue the pilot. Leave it to the sleezy attorney.

troy said:
:D

Except he would probably find a way to sue the pilot. Leave it to the sleezy attorney.
That's a fact. Prang the airplane and he may be insured but will the freebie pilot (who is the actual PIC and responsible blah blah blah.......)?

English said:
Nice one 414!

At least someone could get the free training out of the deal....

Yeah, it only mentions "recurrent", and not initial though. Could be an idea. What if after not showing up for one, one gets well.."fired". Wonder if one would have a case for back pay then, or claiming he violated wage laws.

414Flyer said:
Yeah, it only mentions "recurrent", and not initial though. Could be an idea. What if after not showing up for one, one gets well.."fired". Wonder if one would have a case for back pay then, or claiming he violated wage laws.

Yeah, it would be fun to stick it to the man, but I'm gonna guess that all the free training in the world would not be worth the legal world of s*** you would be in. Trust me, he'd find a way. Plus, whats so great about free training? You should be getting PAID to go to training. Its not that new of a concept, every other industry pays their employees during training. Just a thought...

IHateMgmt said:
You should be getting PAID to go to training. Its not that new of a concept, every other industry pays their employees during training. Just a thought...

Hear, Hear.
Offer to fly for the guy in exchange for some Pro Bono legal work. I'll bet you'll get a lecture on how valuable his highly trained professional time is worth. The guy proably bills $600 an hour to have his secretaries make copies but won't kick down for pilot services.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back