• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

No pressure fatigue calls?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
My friends still at ASA tell me that ASA just put out some of the worst lines ever, that they are basically maxed out next month, and also the company put out a letter saying you'll fly it and like it.

Now they "update" their fatigue policy, and hide it behind the Safety Officer/former base chef pilot? And KS still gets to determine pay? Does anyone else see the irony here? They know they screwed themselves next month, and are turning up the intimidation in advance.

Where is your union?
If the union does not step up on this and smash it with a sledge hammer it will be my final straw with our union backing the company. Come on MEC send out something to your pilots and let us know you atleast disagree with it and give us the standard "we are looking into it".

FOM "The pilot must also
contact his/her Chief Pilot. It will be the responsibility of the Chief Pilot to
review the pilot’s fatigue situation."

-Hey, Ken.. It's me again. Can you tell me if I'm fatigued or not?

-I'm sick of you guys not wanting to fly!!! Now get out of my office and let me get back to sleeping and drooling on my desk.
Now dat bez funny bouyyyyyyyy....

Gimme the 19C and D already. I'm calling in fatigued one month in advance. I just looked at my line and that's all it took.

Who cares what the fatigue policy is? If I'm tired then I'm tired. I decide if I'm fit to fly....not a chief pilot. Wanna dock my pay? Fine. I'll be sure to contact the FAA.

If the union does not step up on this and smash it with a sledge hammer it will be my final straw with our union backing the company. Come on MEC send out something to your pilots and let us know you atleast disagree with it and give us the standard "we are looking into it".

I'm playing the devil's advocate here.

What is the issue?

You call out fatigued, you are removed from the trip. Right? Has anybody NOT been removed from a trip once they called fatigue? No? Ok then. As far as involving the FAA, they're not going to care because you called fatigued and were placed on rest. That's exactly what was supposed to happen!

Once you call fatigue, you are put on rest for at least 9 hours. Remember that. If one of the chief pilots calls you to harass you, YOU ARE UNDER NO OBLIGATION TO ANSWER. You are on rest. Also, review section 13.W of the contract about contact and notification. If they call you outside of the confines of 13.W, you can file a voucher for a free paid day off. That section is for everybody in the company, not just the chief pilots or scheduling. Answer the phone (remember two-way communication must take place), advise them that they have just violated section 13.W and that you will be filing a form for a day off, and then tell them you will return the call after your rest period is over. Better yet, tell them that you will stop by their office during your next duty period with an ALPA rep to witness the conversation. Know your rights!

Now, as for the pay, where in the contract does it say that you will be paid for a fatigue call? Oh wait, it doesn't. So what leg does the union stand on to pound their chest and demand that we get paid? Like it or not, we have yahoos gaming the system by calling in fatigued for their last round trip so they can go home early, even after they've had a long overnight and short duty days. This is not professional, and unfortunately it results in this hokey fatigue policy that we have now.

The company is being gracious enough to pay SOME fatigue calls. I do not say this as a company man, but let's be honest here, they don't have to do this. All they ask is that you fill out this fatigue survey form so they have an idea what caused the fatigue. Be honest and say that as a reserve pilot you are being worked to death and just flew a 5-day trip with 26 legs. They will understand, and you will probably get paid. If you call in fatigued for the first day of a 4-day trip after you just had 3 days off, you won't get paid. No surprise there.

If you don't get paid, well, if you are TRULY and HONESTLY fatigued, pay should not matter. This is the mark of a true professional pilot, doing the right thing even when it may not be the most convenient thing to do. By calling fatigue, you are telling the company that you are so tired and out of it that you seriously think your next flight could result in an incident or accident. If that is the case, the money you lose is nothing compared to what you think might have happened.

Remember, fatigue calls do not count as an occurrence, but you may or may not be paid. Sick calls are always paid as long as you have time in your sick bank, but are always an occurrence unless you FMLA it.

Here is the problem. I and many others in the union are spending a lot of time right now defending pilots in 19A hearings over attendance and fatigue calls. Some are legit, and some are not. Here are two examples of recent hearings.

One involved a pilot who commutes from DFW. Shortly after he arrived in ATL to begin a reserve assignment, he was assigned a trip. It was a very easy trip. He said he was fatigued. He just began his duty period, and it wasn't a tough trip.

Another case involved a pilot who recently called in fatigued in the morning at an outstation. Turns out the fatigue involved too many adult beverages the night before and staying out too late.

The union is defending the legitimate fatigue calls. In fact, we have to defend the ones that are questionable too. A few bad apples are putting pressure on the rest of us.

Not being fatigued is a safety issue and is important. It is also important that SOME of us grow up and act like the responsible professional that you are being paid to be.

+1 for the good points that both Sweptback and Irish make.

Unfortunately, I think we have all been in the bell jar of small lift provider ops for so long, we dont have any idea what fatigued is anymore. 6 leg days, min rest, almost any hotel on a Fri or Sat night, following late nights with early shows...... Its to the point where we just take it for granted that we never feel 100%, but 95 or 90 or 10 or whatever is good enough. Frankly, most days you can just sleepwalk through without any problem. But will this next leg be the one where the defecation hits the rotary oscillator and are you ready physically and mentally if it does?? And not just to worry about someone getting hurt or bending some metal, but getting thrown under the bus by the company or the FAA as they cover their own.......

Feel like the CPs are gonna harass you if you call in fatigued? If you cant arrange the ALPA rep to come with, how about telling them that you will be recording your conversation with them: I wonder if their tone will be a little different??

But Irish, both of those guys may have been fatigued. In regard to operating the aircraft it doesn't matter how they came to be fatigued-they did the right thing. I agree that perhaps they should act like adults in order to not be in that situation (and not get paid for it), but you should give them props for doing the right thing once they realized they had screwed up. As for the company doing the right thing and ALPA not having a leg to stand on, I'd say it's the union's job to protect us from intimidation from CP's. I've never been in a fatigue hearing, but I've heard a lot about them from pilots I know and trust and what I heard was pretty shocking.

Last edited:
Believe it or not, many fatigue calls are not fatigue. How mny fatigued pilots have called in fatigued on their last leg home. I'd be willing to bet, none. But because a few pilots do take advantage we are all under more scrutiny. Fatigue does happen, and if you are genuinely fatigued you can call in legitimately. Just be prepared to answer a few questions, no big deal. Also, the FAA has become interested in fatigue. One of the reasons why we are asked the circumstances behind it is for the FAA data base.

Latest resources

Back