• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

No More Hats at ExpressJet

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
This debate shows what is nice about the XJT hat policy.

If you don't like the hat. Don't wear it.

If you like the hat, STFU and wear the darn thing, but stop telling everyone else how much more professional you think you look.

AviatorTx said:
This debate shows what is nice about the XJT hat policy.

If you don't like the hat. Don't wear it.

If you like the hat, STFU and wear the darn thing, but stop telling everyone else how much more professional you think you look.
That sums it up in a nutshell. I will still think that the guys who wear it because they think it's cool are dorks though.

AviatorTx said:

The likers of the hat aren't the only ones that neet to STFU. When I was at PCL I always got sh!t from the guys that didn't wear thier hat... I never told anybody to wear thier hat, but plenty of people tried to tell me to take the dam n thing off when it was company policy to wear it in view of the public.

As for those that think that they don't get paid enough to wear the hat,
QUIT AND FIND ANOTHER JOB! What other rules don't you follow because you don't think you are well compensated? If you don't get paid enough....LEAVE!

T-Gates said:
What other rules don't you follow because you don't think you are well compensated?
All of them. I break every rule I can, simply because I don't give a sh!t. How about that T-Gates. Why don't you quit, you by the book geek.

Last edited:
Air Biscuit said:
All of them. I break every rule I can, simply because I don't give a sh!t. How about that T-Gates. Why don't you quit, you by the book geek.

Suddenly I feel like I am in a room of high-school kids again.... So lemme ask, are you going to give your F/O's sh!t if they wear thier hats?

Last edited:
propjockey said:
My dad went to the airlines after 20 years as a Navy pilot. Though he wore the required uniform and always looked clean and neat, he commented to me privately on more than one occasion about the "mickey-mouse," pseudo-military airline garb. For better or worse, his attitudes are somewhat reflected in me.
I have to agree most w/ this statement. I entered the military at an early age, so proper wear of uniforms is perrmanently branded into my soft head. I often see crew walking through the terminal with hats pushed up so far up the brim is pointing at the ceiling; uniform blazers completely unbuttoned and flapping in the breeze, and ties loosened and hanging askew. Not a very professional image, even if you remove the hat. Most crews, though, seem to present a professional image, are aware the public notices them and behave accordingly.

All other arguments considered, why not this:

Let's ditch the 19th Century livery and come up with a uniform appropriate for the 21st Century. We're going to be here a few years, after all! (Unless wearing a shirt and tie on the ramp @ KLAS in August appeals to you, of course!)
C

ATR-DRIVR said:
. This ain't the 1930's and we are not Clipper Captains. [/QUOTE said:
What do you want to bet that the Clipper Captains garnered a hell of a lot of respect back then in their full uniform, than you do now?
Good post above, Rez.

The respect given clipper captains back then is NOT COMING BACK. Sorry to break the bad news, but back then less then 15% of the population flew on a commercial airliner. Flying was either a once in a life event or the domain of the wealthy. Today with the influx of 'peanut fares' it is more like 70%. Wearing a hat will not mean anything when it comes to the recapturing the respect this profession once had.

The bottom line is people want cheap seats long before they want some pilot 'dude' who looks like that 'dude' in Catch Me If You Can. You guys want to get an ulcer over this issue rather then the downfall of pensions and work rules at the Major level go right ahead. I can guarentee you that the sharpest dressed, hat wearing US Air Captain could really give a sh!t how much respect you think he deserves in his uniform. Heck he can even be a Freedom Air FO that looks like Brad Pitt and it won't matter.

Last edited:
Air Biscuit said:
The uniform doesn't make one **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED** bit of difference whether somebody flies on your airline or not. Put the Southwest pilots in shorts and t-shirts and they'll still be selling the same amount of tickets guaranteed. The flying public could give two sh!ts what you're paid or how you're dressed. It's sad but true. They want a cheap ticket period.

thats 100% true. I bet the "hat fans" tend to be the old guys who actually remember when the public had respect for pilots and going flying was a big trip, a big deal....let it folks, Orville and Wilbur are dead.

now it is a frucking $69 SWA Nightmare and airline pilots dress like slobs, from the stained, outdated, high water uniforms to the baseball hats and Dr Maartens for shoes. Throw in the ipod, the backpack, the big bag of Taco Bell - its a complete package.

NICE!

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back