No More Hats at ExpressJet

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Prop Trash

In keeping up with modern times, ExpressJet pilots no longer have to wear hats with the winter uniform. How nice.

from another board..

[font=verdana, arial, helvetica]Crews,

The hat issue may present itself very shortly with the change over to FLYi. Possible poll on acaway for the pilots may decide whether or not we continue to wear them. Until that time comes let’s hash it out so some of you will be educated before you exercise democracy.

I have debated the hat issue online and in the crewrooms and the best argument I get for dumping the hats is “I don’t like it.” It is uncomfortable. Well, the hat isn’t a safety issue and judging by tradition and the numbers of carriers that do wear hats, the hats don’t promote a negative image.

In fact that is what it really comes down to isn’t it? Image. What does the traveling public, our paycheck providers, think of us? What do they have to go by? Simulator sessions?, reputation? or inflight observations of our cockpit performance? No, no and hell no!

Our passengers only have appearance and behavior. How do you want to be perceived? The latest issue of AOPA Pilot discusses the next generation jets. (January ’04 p. 89) Small single pilot sky cabs. Sky Cabs you say? Yes, little taxi cab jets flying around point to point. Do you think these pilots will be the high standard of safe jet travel?

There is only one type of pilot that wears a hat. When I finally was hired by a reputable airline, I was proud to get my hat, because that meant I was a Line Pilot. My first Capts’. hat is still proudly displayed in my home office. I don’t want to be clumped together with corporate pilots, 135 pilots or especially Sky Cab taxi pilots. I want to be known as an Airline Pilot, who happens to be the safest, most professional group of aviators in the world.

Is the hat a nuisance? Bothersome? A pain? For some of you, of course, it is. But so are 0530 shows, type rides, and neck ties. Why do we put up with them? This in part is what being professional is all about; enduring the nuisances for the greater good of the public. Making the personal sacrifices to provide high standard medical care or jet travel or whatever your professional occupation may be.

After we get rid of the hats, what is next? Neck ties? White dress shirts? Are golf shirts ok? Sneakers? What about hair styles? How about sweat pants, I mean it’s all about being comfortable….right?

Do we need to wear hats to be professional? Probably not. However, we do need them to look professional in the eyes of the traveling public? What is our professional indicator and how will the public know? Are we professional if the public thinks we aren’t? We may just find out…

Let's debate baby!
[/font]

Prop Trash said:
In keeping up with modern times, ExpressJet pilots no longer have to wear hats with the winter uniform. How nice.
Okay, I just saw the FIL. Got a laugh over the new wings being mandatory, with the FIL stating the new wings and hat brass being suspended.

Last edited:
Rez,

Right on the money. If you want to be 'comfortable', there are plenty of 9-5 jobs available with casual Fridays.

I worked hard for the privilege to wear my hat & polyester and look forward to the chance to wear it again someday. The charter company I work for has a uniform (no hat though) and we get many compliments on it from passengers and FBO workers. A crisp, clean appearance is noticed by more than you think.

I really miss my Delta uniform....basically hasn't changed in over 70 years and I love that.

Thank you Flight Ops for having sanity! I'm as much for tradition as anybody in this profession, but I'm overjoyed to see this thing go. I've seen plenty of guys who might have the hat on, but have the rest of their uniform be disgraceful. Bottom line is if you took a poll of every line pilot out there as to this issue I guarentee you it would come back overwhelmingly in favor of no hat.

Whether or not I have that dogsh!t sweat factory on my head does not take away from professionalism. In fact I blame the d@mn hat for giving me a recent break of zits worthy of a sex crazied teenager (as compared to the sex crazied adult I am today). Now I can finally wear some product in my hair when I go to work. You want to look professional, dry clean your uniform and replace it when colors fade and stains set.

Before you traditionalist flame Xjet why don't you ask the Northwest guys about this issue cause we would not of gotten this if not for that group getting the policy. Although this could be a management trick to make us vote yes on the contract. Either way for you guys looking for a potential regional this puts XJet a step above everybody else.

Please note I'm f*cking around....

Last edited:
My newhire packet at SkyWest lists the hat as 'optional'

nimtz said:
Before you traditionalist flame Xjet why don't you ask the Northwest guys about this issue cause we would not of gotten this if not for that group getting the policy.
Northwest pilots don't have to wear hats? I didn't know that. Aren't hats optional at Southwest, American, and Jet Blue?

Latest resources

Back