• Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
PBRstreetgang said:
Hey,
From Websters:
Main Entry: 1pro·fes·sion·al
Pronunciation: pr&-'fesh-n&l, -'fe-sh&-n&l
Function: adjective
1 a : of, relating to, or characteristic of a profession b : engaged in one of the learned professions c (1) : characterized by or conforming to the technical or ethical standards of a profession (2) : exhibiting a courteous, conscientious, and generally businesslike manner in the workplace
2 a : participating for gain or livelihood in an activity or field of endeavor often engaged in by amateurs <a professional golfer> b : having a particular profession as a permanent career <a professional soldier> c : engaged in by persons receiving financial return <professional football>
3 : following a line of conduct as though it were a profession <a professional patriot>
- pro·fes·sion·al·ly adverb
I tried reading between the lines but saw no reference to hats, the closest was "generally businesslike manner". I see more application to our condition as 2 sub, (a).
Whatever, you hat fans can keep them on when spanking the monkey, and watching in the mirror, probably the same ones who walk around the airport in uniform on their days off.
PBR

Hey from websters,

Main Entry: jack·ass
Pronunciation: 'jak-"as
Function: noun
1 : DONKEY; especially : a male donkey
2 : a stupid person : FOOL
3 : PBRStreetgang

The hat is part of the uniform. Just in case you did not know junior the airline pilot uniform originated from the naval officer uniform. So I guess our brothers and sisters in arms whack-off and go to the airport in their uniform right?

The issue here is not professionalism jerkoff. The issue is that not too long ago the hat was part of the traditional airline pilot uniform which was required by all airlines. When someone applied to these jobs they knew that in the public eye the hat was required to be worn. Now in these more relaxed times airlines are allowing the hat to be optional or don't even have the hat as part of the required uniform. If that is the case then so be it. If you don't wear the hat or do not have one that is fine but don't sit here and mock the ones that feel the hat has more meaning than just an object you put on your head. Besides, your woman loves to wear my hat while she plays with my thrust lever.

Last edited:
Hats?

The hat thing can be a long winded debate. Bottom line for me is if you are flying a plane with no place to put a hat then enough said. I do however think the traveling public only gives respect to those that appear worthy. The perception of customers can not be discounted without some negative impact.
The one that gets me is the guy who carries his hat around with him, what does that look like to the public. You are obviously supposed to have it, but refuse to wear it. What else are you not doing that you are supposed to? If you do not want to wear it leave it home.

Optional.

op·tion·al

adj.

Left to choice; not compulsory or automatic.

optional

\Op"tion*al\, a. Involving an option; depending on the exercise of an option; left to one's discretion or choice; not compulsory; as, optional studies; it is optional with you to go or stay. -- n. See Elective, n.

optional

adj : possible but not necessary; left to personal choice [ant: obligatory]

-----

So... if you want to wear it, then wear it! If not, then don't! Simple.

There are plenty of other issues more pertinent to the long-term viability of this career than a hat. If everyone got as emotional about cabotage, job security, securing pensions, maintaining pay scales and benefits, and outsourcing as they do about hats, we'd be much better off.

CRJDog said:
When you pursued a career as an airline pilot wasn't the hat a requirement? You knew that a hat was involved there somewhere right?
So let me get this straight... If the company you work for does NOT require the hat, then you should wear it anyway? Because when you were a kid all pilots you saw wore hats and you knew you'd have to wear one someday when you started flying?

:confused:

I.P. Freley said:
So let me get this straight... If the company you work for does NOT require the hat, then you should wear it anyway? Because when you were a kid all pilots you saw wore hats and you knew you'd have to wear one someday when you started flying?

:confused:

Negative. Read my response to streetd!ck.

CRJDog said:
Negative. Read my response to streetd!ck.
Sorry, I see now that the thread has two pages. :D

Oh no! This has turned into another "hat thread."
It started out as a hat thread, dork. :)

Geez, now you will all look like flight attendants. Make sure you bring me a meal for that jumpseat, FA's. I'll take the hat, thank you. Why are the standards in this industry so hard to follow?

Propsync said:
Why are the standards in this industry so hard to follow?
Maybe because not everybody HAS the same standard. Just because you have a stiffie about your hat doesn't mean the guy you pass in the terminal has a company policy requiring it.

Peanut gallery said:
Bottom line for me is if you are flying a plane with no place to put a hat then enough said. I do however think the traveling public only gives respect to those that appear worthy. The perception of customers can not be discounted without some negative impact.
Continental has long had hats optional for summer domestic uniform which covers the half of the year when most people are flying. That factor has not seemed to have had any affect on customer perception of the airline over the years. I really think in the day and age of 99 buck transcons the public does not give a rats @ss whether or not there is a hat on the pilot's head.

I happen to think Jetblue guys look very sharp in their non hat, non-white shirt assemble. Look good in a clean uniform and get them there on time and safe and they might fly you again if the airline offers a good cheap ticket. This ain't the 1930's and we are not Clipper Captains.

I do have to say I think this is the first thread ever where PBR, IP, and myself are on the same side. ;)

Latest resources

Back