No More Hats at ExpressJet

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
That's for sure!

Edited to correct errors and add back part of what I wrote that was accidentally deleted when I first posted...

nimtz said:
people get EMOTIONAL about the hat issue
Quit because we don't like wearing a hat and voice an opinion? Please! I'm so tired of hearing the "if you don't like it then leave" argument about everything. How do you ever change anything for the better without dialogue?

My dad went to the airlines after 20 years as a Navy pilot. Though he wore the required uniform and always looked clean and neat, he commented to me privately on more than one occasion about the "mickey-mouse," pseudo-military airline garb. For better or worse, his attitudes are somewhat reflected in me.

You should have seen some of the first-time 121 pilots in my newhire class at my current (hat optional) regional. Some of them were gushing all over themselves trying on hats when the uniform fitter came. When logic and lack of finances dictated restraint (you can always buy it later), emotion bought the hat. I wonder how many still wear them after finding out what a pain in the butt they are to tote around, especially if you commute.

There is nothing wrong with wearing a hat, but there are definitely a few Walter Mitty types in the airlines who think putting on a hat makes them a pilot. Looking like a million bucks is pointless if you can't fly.

My professionalism wouldn't be diminished one iota if our company uniform consisted of khaki pants and a polo shirt, especially in summer.

Last edited:
nimtz said:
I do have to say I think this is the first thread ever where PBR, IP, and myself are on the same side. ;)
Hey, I'm just reaching out with understanding, trying to bring all sides together in these divisive times... :D

Oooooohhhh aaahhhhhh, look at that dork's HAT!

Sorry but I say the hat must to go. For those of you that think that the no shoe wearing, no teeth having, just drank an entire PLASTIC 1.75 bottle of vodka on the way to the airport, flying public thinks were cool because of a $3 hat that costs us $100 your a tool. Didn't "line pilots" (d@mn that sounds soooo cooool!) used to wear hats and cold weather gear and scarves and goggles? I say that in the spirit of tradition we all must wear the traditional Capt. Dave Behncke garb immediately or else the flying public will lose all respect. The guys that insist on wearing "the hat" are the same ones that can't refer to themselves as "Mike" or "Frank", it has to be "Capt. Smith" (said with lots of authority) or "Capt. Rizzo".

Let me get this straight....we're referencing Continental now as if they set some standard for pilot uniforms? I've never seen a sloppier looking bunch of pilots as a whole. I didn't realize yellow armpit stains, non-starched shirts with the old iron-on-wings, and overall sloppy appearance is something we should strive for.

CRJDog said:
Hey from websters,

Main Entry: jack·ass
Pronunciation: 'jak-"as
Function: noun
1 : DONKEY; especially : a male donkey
2 : a stupid person : FOOL
3 : PBRStreetgang

The hat is part of the uniform. Just in case you did not know junior the airline pilot uniform originated from the naval officer uniform. So I guess our brothers and sisters in arms whack-off and go to the airport in their uniform right?

The issue here is not professionalism jerkoff. The issue is that not too long ago the hat was part of the traditional airline pilot uniform which was required by all airlines. When someone applied to these jobs they knew that in the public eye the hat was required to be worn. Now in these more relaxed times airlines are allowing the hat to be optional or don't even have the hat as part of the required uniform. If that is the case then so be it. If you don't wear the hat or do not have one that is fine but don't sit here and mock the ones that feel the hat has more meaning than just an object you put on your head. Besides, your woman loves to wear my hat while she plays with my thrust lever.

"Do we need to wear hats to be professional? Probably not. However, we do need them to look professional in the eyes of the traveling public? What is our professional indicator and how will the public know? Are we professional if the public thinks we aren’t? We may just find out…"

"If you don't want to wear the hat then why don't you quit your job. There are thousands of airline pilots out there on the street that would love to be wearing that hat right now."
Well...
After looking at your avatar and discription, I can only conclude you are frustrated from the necessity of wearing a square full body condom while you are being punked by your boyfriend, whom is wearing the same. Hey why don't you put on your uniform(hat too) and go back to the airport on your days off, that way you will only have to buy uniforms, square full body condoms and a vat of KY.
PBR

Last edited:
I'd love to know the basis for asserting that hats make one look professional. I'd like to see data, experimentally derived, supporting that assertion. Maybe, just maybe it was seen as a sign of status YEARS ago. Now, greyhound bus drivers and milkmen wear these things. As I said in a prior thread, pilots love to argue they are "professionals", comparing themselves to doctors & lawyers. But they insist on wearing hats, to the snickering amusement of those same people.

So, if you see the world through the eyes of a cop or some similar type job, go ahead and strut about with your hat on. But don't assert people think you are a professional because you wear the silly thing.

As an aside, just like most restaurants that have "gourmet" in their name aren't, (and hotels that say "luxury", etc) most persons that are overly concerned with being seen as "professionals" are just socially insecure.

Relax, do your job, enjoy it, and get with the times.

My .02

Last edited:
Vortilon said:
I've never seen a sloppier looking bunch of pilots as a whole. I didn't realize yellow armpit stains, non-starched shirts with the old iron-on-wings, and overall sloppy appearance is something we should strive for.
Those slobs (which I agree with you on to an extent) work for one of the better legacy carriers both in financials and customer loyality. Tells me that perhaps uniform appearence doesn't mean jack to public image. Looking good in a uniform has nothing to do with the heat incubator on your head.

What we should all strive for is for each pilot group to be as happy as possible and if a silly thing like knocking away the hat policy helps then so be it. I can guarentee you that I will see but a few hats at work next time I go in.

Last edited:
NWA got rid of the hat requirement. At SWA the ratio I was told is about 70/30. With 30% wearing thier hat. JB has no hat. FedEx has no hat, but you can get one and I have seen a couple of guys wearing theirs to jumpseat.

So far the repsonders to this thread have agrued against the hat as simply uncomfortable. Arguements against the hat becuase it is unsafe, unpopular with the public or projects a poor image are difficult to make.

One NWA pilot told me when jumpseating on my flight that he wears his hat overseas because he gets better 'service', from other airline workers and passengers. The hat or the pilot, rather, is better respected. Tell me who doesn't want to be respected? In addition when you are in charge of million dollar equipment, peoples lives, and the reputation of your airline and country.. respect is a good thing....

Long gone are the days of Pan Am where the company forbid it's pilots to be seen carrying their own luggage. When uniform blazers were never taken off in public. Companies do not have time or money for this kind of image!

But we do. When you see a regional jet crew, do you know who the FA is? Does it matter...? Yes it does, because we need to be known as a unique employee group within the industry. (because we are!) Getting rid of the hat blends our image in with the rest of the airline workers. Respectfully to them, they make less than we do but when we negotiate our hourly rate we need to be as unique and different from the them as possible.

Management would love to group all airline workers into one category. From aircraft cleaners to pilots....

Many pilots do not wear there hat out of rebellion to management. Not a bad reason, but this kind of rebel yell doesn't work when the requirement is no longer there. We need to carve ourselves out of the industry as a unified cohesive group of employees. The public needs to know who we are and that we are worth it.

There is only so much to negotiate out of the small ticket prices nowadays, we need to get the most of that price as we can. Image, appearance and behavior, is the one thing we can easily control.

Another reason to at least keep your hat is formal occasions. Although rare, I will attend the next pilots’ funeral, not in my leather uniform jacket, but in my uniform blazer and hat. It is a proper image to pay ones respect.

Whenever the image of an airline pilot wants to be conveyed to the public, a hat is quite often used. Although hats are optional at my carrier, the new advertising campaign has pilots wearing their hats. Advertisements in flying magazines for professional flight schools have pilots with hats.

Does anyone who has conducted a strike have an opinion of the hat while on strike? Pilots are always wearing their hats when waling the line or conducting informational campaigns. It is the image.

The hat isn’t that comfortable, but neither is my paycheck. Consider the National image of a US Air Line Pilot. Could it be better, stronger, more respectable and more effective? Let’s define our image instead of a bottom dollar industry defining us.

But is it hard when your airline goes with the option and your fellow pilots throw their lids frisbee-style into the nearest trash can and you are the only one in the crewroom wearing a hat. Now what was normal is now dorky. In fact going against the group or the popular trend is very difficult, especially with comments like, ‘Nice F-ing hat’ or ‘what are you wearing your hat for’

The current has been changing and shifting for a long time... And we pilots are trying to survive adrift just like everyone else... But I'd rather attach a small rudder to my raft and call it a boat, then have some one call my raft a piece of drift wood. A little control in our direction, image and fate is ok, isn't it.?

The uniform doesn't make one **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED** bit of difference whether somebody flies on your airline or not. Put the Southwest pilots in shorts and t-shirts and they'll still be selling the same amount of tickets guaranteed. The flying public could give two sh!ts what you're paid or how you're dressed. It's sad but true. They want a cheap ticket period.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back