NJI Mins?

propjob27

I have people skills!
Joined
Jan 15, 2003
Posts
469
Total Time
69
I saw this on the website:
Airline Transport Pilot Certificate
Current FAA First Class Medical certificate
5000 hours total pilot time
500 Gulfstream hours
Crewmembers must live in the Continental US and within 1 hour of an airport with scheduled airline service



Is this set in stone? Specifically, the 500 Gulfsteam hours. As a furloughed airline guy, I meet all the other mins, but I have 0 time in a Gulfsteam, or any other biz jet for that matter. I have international time all over the world, but it's in a 757, not Gulfsteam.

Any suggestions? Is it even worth typing the cover letter and applying?

Thanks

PS. Please dont turn this into a NJI /NJA sucks / NJI will end up at the bottom of the senority list at NJA thread, etc. I just want to know if they hire people without the Gulfsteam time.
 

Some Dude

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 15, 2005
Posts
220
Total Time
alot
If you can give a good reach around to the Chief Pilot you would have a good chance at getting hired. Serioulsly, I wouldn't go there unless you want to cross a picket line later.
 

ditch

Active member
Joined
Oct 29, 2003
Posts
33
Total Time
6000
Some Dude said:
If you can give a good reach around to the Chief Pilot you would have a good chance at getting hired. Serioulsly, I wouldn't go there unless you want to cross a picket line later.
B.S.

cheers
 

h25b

Left for ProPilotWorld
Joined
Jan 5, 2002
Posts
1,829
Total Time
.....
Some Dude said:
If you can give a good reach around to the Chief Pilot you would have a good chance at getting hired. Serioulsly, I wouldn't go there unless you want to cross a picket line later.
Since you don't work for NJI, why would you think that anyone would care what you think. ??? ... :confused:
 

Some Dude

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 15, 2005
Posts
220
Total Time
alot
H25b dang every post you make you show how stupid you are when it comes to NJA. NJI is part of NJA. One day you will learn. Now go back to watching Sponge Bob.
 

h25b

Left for ProPilotWorld
Joined
Jan 5, 2002
Posts
1,829
Total Time
.....
Some Dude said:
H25b dang every post you make you show how stupid you are when it comes to NJA. NJI is part of NJA. One day you will learn. Now go back to watching Sponge Bob.
Oh yeah, your union says they are the same company so it must be true ..

NJA is hiring anyone with a pulse while NJI requires 5000 TT and 500 Gulfstream. Sounds like they're the same company to me. :confused: I guess this is a continuation of your single carrier lawsuit arguement.
 
Last edited:

joepilot111

Member
Joined
Feb 20, 2003
Posts
24
Total Time
5500
From everything I have seen NJI has been able to get plenty of Gulfstream guys to come to work for them.Probably because there are lots of gulfstram guys looking for work. But you know how it goes...as soon as pilots are scarce, the Gulfstream requirment would be dropped and soon they would be hiring CFI's.

I dont work for NJA/NJI, but for a competitor, I have had friends who have gone to NJI. One had a type and one didn't, nor had ever set foot in a GIV. He had simular quals. as you. Good luck. I would think that NJI would be the premier fractional to work for.
 

h25b

Left for ProPilotWorld
Joined
Jan 5, 2002
Posts
1,829
Total Time
.....
The reason they don't have a problem finding pilots is that it's hard to find a Gulfstream position that pays market value with a set schedule. Pilots for that type of position are NEVER scarce.
 

C-5 MEM

Well-known member
Joined
Jun 25, 2002
Posts
459
Total Time
550
If NJI went under bankruptcy or even went out of business would NJA file bankruptcy or close there doors. I am not trying to pick a fight I just want to understand the difference here. I take it the company is owned by the same person, but under completly different names.
 

Spooky 1

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 28, 2004
Posts
987
Total Time
Some
propjob27 said:
I saw this on the website:
Airline Transport Pilot Certificate
Current FAA First Class Medical certificate
5000 hours total pilot time
500 Gulfstream hours
Crewmembers must live in the Continental US and within 1 hour of an airport with scheduled airline service



Is this set in stone? Specifically, the 500 Gulfsteam hours. As a furloughed airline guy, I meet all the other mins, but I have 0 time in a Gulfsteam, or any other biz jet for that matter. I have international time all over the world, but it's in a 757, not Gulfsteam.

Any suggestions? Is it even worth typing the cover letter and applying?

Thanks

PS. Please dont turn this into a NJI /NJA sucks / NJI will end up at the bottom of the senority list at NJA thread, etc. I just want to know if they hire people without the Gulfsteam time.
Had a friend who had a walk in interview at NJI just last week. The folks he spoke to were very polite and seemed interested in his qualifications (no coprporate DNA in his background), even though he did not have any Gulfstream time. They bascially said that at this time at least they are able to attract enough qualified Gulfstream pilots to fill their needs, but that could change and they encouraged him to stay in touch over the next year or so.
He was fairly impressed withthose that he met and intends to follow through.
Before we start making this guy out as a potential SCAB, please don't simply because he would not go that route.
 

Some Dude

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 15, 2005
Posts
220
Total Time
alot
Find a corporate job. Work at NJI and you will be the lowest paid Gulfstream pilot in the U.S. just like at NJA.
 

Hogprint

If you aint Cav...
Joined
Apr 16, 2002
Posts
695
Total Time
6000
Propjob,

I have a friend I flew with at NJA that went over last fall. He was retired airline, over sixty, and had zero time in the Gs. He did have some inside help though, but he got on.

I bumped into him this winter and he said he loved it. Comparing NJA/NJI he said the biggest thing is they just plain treat you like a human. Flying the line and the ins and outs were basically the same, but the treatment from above was much better.

Incidentally, he was really pushing me to try and get on with his former airline! So take that for what it is worth!

Get the resume` in though. I have two friends there and they seem to love it, NJA/NJI bickering on this board aside!
 

gutshotdraw

ZERT Wilson CQB User
Joined
May 6, 2005
Posts
3,226
Total Time
9000
Here goes nothin...

I've been reading this board for some time now (quite amusing actually) and have resisted the urge to post my two cents. But I have to jump in here to answer the question that started this thread.

Propjob27, when NJI started 10 years ago, every person hired was G-IV typed and experienced because Gulfstream demanded that if their name was on the door (Gulfstream Shares) with Executive Jet, that was the price. As time went by, you could get hired with experience in any Gulfstream if not the IV. If you were from a flight department that fractionalized to EJI, you would get an interview and most likely hired regardless of the equipment listed on your ATP. As more time went by, military and airline people were hired especially if they had a connection within the company. Bottom line for interview today (NJI expects to hire 6 per month for the rest of '05): recommendations from within get the best look, Gulfstream time helps a lot, but the overall experience level and quality of person gets the job.

As for the other issues floating around the board, most of us at NJI hope NJA reaches a fair contract soon without either side resorting to a "nuclear" option. That said, single carrier will only happen if negotiated into the new CBA (doubtful), pay is below NBAA average until hard time off is considered (I've been part 91 Corporate my whole career and have never seen or heard of a schedule like this before), and the vast majority of pilots and F/A's at NJI are great people who work hard, try to enjoy their trips, and then go home.

If I were you, I would apply asap.

Hope it helps.
 

propjob27

I have people skills!
Joined
Jan 15, 2003
Posts
469
Total Time
69
Thanks for all the info guys. I'm all ready to fax/email my cover letter and resume the 1st business day after the holliday. Unfortunately, the only friends I have in the fractional world are at NJA, and not NJI, but nevertheless I have my fingers crossed.

Thanks again.
 

h25b

Left for ProPilotWorld
Joined
Jan 5, 2002
Posts
1,829
Total Time
.....
Some Dude said:
Find a corporate job. Work at NJI and you will be the lowest paid Gulfstream pilot in the U.S. just like at NJA.
G-VFlyer posted (and believe me, HE KNOWS) that NJI guys were paid something like 70% NBAA. To explain it to you, that means they are not the lowest paid by a large margin... The NJA guys were the ones that went to work to be the lowest paid pilots in the U.S., not the NJI guys. :rolleyes:
 

Hogprint

If you aint Cav...
Joined
Apr 16, 2002
Posts
695
Total Time
6000
The NJA guys were the ones that went to work to be the lowest paid pilots in the U.S., not the NJI guys.

Let me put this in perspective.

Getting out of the service and looking for an aviation job. Low time FWinger and not competitive for the majors. Targeted Regionals and Frax. Some like helo time, some don't.

Was hired at a couple of commuters, but was holding out for Reg or Frx. Just could not do 18k yr. Was called by NJA and told to reasonably expect 40-41k first year (which I made). Plus they gave me 1.2 mil conversion factor, so I looked better on paper.

So, I or others did not go to work to be the lowest paid in the industry. Just look at the numbers. We are fighting for hopefully some of the best pay and benefits. That remains to be seen.
 

h25b

Left for ProPilotWorld
Joined
Jan 5, 2002
Posts
1,829
Total Time
.....
Hogprint said:
Let me put this in perspective.

Getting out of the service and looking for an aviation job. Low time FWinger and not competitive for the majors. Targeted Regionals and Frax. Some like helo time, some don't.

Was hired at a couple of commuters, but was holding out for Reg or Frx. Just could not do 18k yr. Was called by NJA and told to reasonably expect 40-41k first year (which I made). Plus they gave me 1.2 mil conversion factor, so I looked better on paper.

So, I or others did not go to work to be the lowest paid in the industry. Just look at the numbers. We are fighting for hopefully some of the best pay and benefits. That remains to be seen.
So what then is the 27K we all hear so much about ??? You don't make it seam all that bad, if that's the case Netjetwife shouldn't qualify for reduced price lunches. I guess you tell a different story than Some Dude, Netjetswife, and others.

Not being Military, maybe you can tell me what a "Hogprint" is...
 

NJAFracPilot

Fly for Pay-Fly for Play
Joined
Oct 31, 2004
Posts
92
Total Time
8000+
Some Dude said:
Find a corporate job. Work at NJI and you will be the lowest paid Gulfstream pilot in the U.S. just like at NJA.
I dunno...

When I look at the Pro Pilot Salary Survey it looks like the senior Gulfstream captains at NJI are making about $10k more than the average NBAA G550 captain while I'm making about fifteen grand less than the average NBAA Citation X captain...

Go figure.
 

h25b

Left for ProPilotWorld
Joined
Jan 5, 2002
Posts
1,829
Total Time
.....
NJAFracPilot said:
I dunno...

When I look at the Pro Pilot Salary Survey it looks like the senior Gulfstream captains at NJI are making about $10k more than the average NBAA G550 captain while I'm making about fifteen grand less than the average NBAA Citation X captain...

Go figure.
Watch out, now that you've disagreed with him he's going to insult you.
 

Hogprint

If you aint Cav...
Joined
Apr 16, 2002
Posts
695
Total Time
6000
So what then is the 27K we all hear so much about ???
That is very real. If you don't get on by pass pay early or get overtime or extendo days, then you could easily be close to that figure. At the time I was getting lots of OT and some extendo days. That was five yrs ago. Now, not as many upgrades and bids coming out. Not to mention that year and a half hiring freeze.

Only two ways to find out what a hogprint is...

Go to your local recruiter and raise your right hand...

Find me on the road and after proper libation you will be INITIATED! :)


ps
after being initiated and you prove worthy...you might get to SHOOT THE BOOT!

AIR CAV!!!
 
Top