• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

NJI and NJA Merger Official

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I feel sorry that those hired at NJI with the expectation of making Capt on a Gulfstream will not reach their expectations.

Maybe it is time for them to adjust their expectations??? That is like saying you feel sorry for eveyone that has had their aviation dreams dashed by the continued upheaval in the airlines. You can't fix it for everyone and make everyting better. Aviation is a crap shoot, is the long and short of this.

When I started this flying for a living gig, I was kind of looking forward to being a 747 capt., flying 12 days a month. Things change, adapt or don't it is their choice. If they are too good to captain a X or a Falcon that is their issue, not yours.

Your use of the number 3 is not a way to win friends or influence people.

I have had the opportunity to fly with people that I didn't particularly like, only to find out later that they were scabs. It all fit in with their behavior during the tour. Crossing a picket line is merely a manifestation of a character flaw. This thread is not about scabs though.

An inhouse NetJets Pilot Union is not a matter of if but when. This same discussion came up 3 years ago when we gave Local 284 the boot. When it does come about, I'll bet those flying the Gulfsteams will be represented in the leadership.

Some of the interesting things are that nja pilots that come over will now be in a 5 year Gulfstream lock with a 2 year equipment lock. Those are substantial locks.

This will change a lot of pilots minds from coming over if they are even within 4 years of a chance to upgrade.

Then the minimums still apply though of 5000hrs but I think the 2 years with the company is gone. I can't remember.

GSD,

Well I have fought with you many times and agreeded with you many times on this web site. However, I have to say that is one of the most well put together and thoughtful interpretations of the LOA and hell the IBB that I have yet seen.

I just have one statement and a question for you.

The quote from you above I believe is correct, however the people who helped write it are several pay grades above the people you mention.

My question is this, why if CMH took over operations would you bail??? Are they that screwed up?? Or what is the issue, I seriously would like to know. I have heard that you guys have some good mangers down there, is this true also??

RNO, we never fought. Just agreed to disagree:)

The people I mentioned are the highest pay grade on our side of the house and they were out of the loop. Given the enormous potential impact of the LOA, I would have thought they would be included.

As to CMH, I think any of the crossovers will tell you that, in general, we enjoy a better QOL on the road because of a far more cooperative atmosphere between the operations center and the crew members (do you agree Diesel?). We can call and actually speak to a scheduler about problems, potential problems, solutions, or suggestions and usually agree on a plan that benefits the client, the company, and the crew. Back when CMH was running our show it was "talk to the hand: shut up and fly the jet." I would really have to consider my options before going back to such a poisonous relationship. We have many great people in Okatie and RTS has said specifically that they will stay where they are, doing what they're doing regardless of the pilots' representation situation. Like the rest, time will tell if that holds true.

Last edited:
These posts are among the best I have seen in a long time! However, has anyone thought about the fact that what is being discussed here is forcing NJI pilots to join a union when they do not want to? Force is an ugly word. Having asked that, the tone of this thread has been very collegial, which is very much appreciated by us NJI folks.

Nah. You don't have to join the Union (pay dues). Of course, there is a service fee to pay instead then. If I were going to pay the service fee (which is equal to dues) I would want the full representational power of the Union working for me... for one of those rainy days.

All they want are numbers and money, to support the truckers and ground support people, The airline side of the Teamsters is such a small piece of the pie, they couldn't care less about NJA pilots. ...:laugh:

Haha. Funny you should mention this.

NJA pilots (IBT 1108) is the 3rd largest dues producing unit in the division. Having said that, I think IBT is too stupid to figure out what they will lose if/when we walk till we're gone.

IBT has been an ends to a means and a means to an end.

I feel sorry that those hired at NJI with the expectation of making Capt on a Gulfstream will not reach their expectations. WGFP48

It's funny how these "career expectations" get worked out.

In another life, I was forecast (be retirements) to upgrade to Captain after 6 years, be on the Intl Widebody fleet as a Captain for the last 11 years of my career. I was supposed to retire #1 after 3 yeaqrs in that position. It was a beautiful thing to dream about.

The fact is, expectations are a wish, a dream, a might be. I feel far more secure here (NJA) than at that 121 dream job (nightmare) in my former life.

Expectations are real in this business after they occur.

I am sure that if this integration went before an arbitrator, his view of "career expecations" might shock and awe all of us into depression.

Just ask the US Airways guys.

D.O.H. is fair. We will all have stable, predictable jobs based on system seniority. I'll take stable and secure anyday over pipe dreams.

As to CMH, I think any of the crossovers will tell you that, in general, we enjoy a better QOL on the road because of a far more cooperative atmosphere between the operations center and the crew members (do you agree Diesel?). We can call and actually speak to a scheduler about problems, potential problems, solutions, or suggestions and usually agree on a plan that benefits the client, the company, and the crew. Back when CMH was running our show it was "talk to the hand: shut up and fly the jet." I would really have to consider my options before going back to such a poisonous relationship.

Yup. Not saying there is bad people in CMH just that there is no mutual respect for scheduling at CMH. That respect is earned and developed. NJI and schedulers in Okatie have a very good balance. I still can't believe that I talk to them. But I've been able to work out every issue with them directly. So i see their point and they see mine.

RNO, we never fought. Just agreed to disagree:)

The people I mentioned are the highest pay grade on our side of the house and they were out of the loop. Given the enormous potential impact of the LOA, I would have thought they would be included.

As to CMH, I think any of the crossovers will tell you that, in general, we enjoy a better QOL on the road because of a far more cooperative atmosphere between the operations center and the crew members (do you agree Diesel?). We can call and actually speak to a scheduler about problems, potential problems, solutions, or suggestions and usually agree on a plan that benefits the client, the company, and the crew. Back when CMH was running our show it was "talk to the hand: shut up and fly the jet." I would really have to consider my options before going back to such a poisonous relationship. We have many great people in Okatie and RTS has said specifically that they will stay where they are, doing what they're doing regardless of the pilots' representation situation. Like the rest, time will tell if that holds true.

Fair enough it was agreeing to disagree, I can live with that.

I have said this before this LOA thing is a way for RTS to save face in the grand scheme of things. Right or wrong, that is the word on the street.

I truely wish that we were still able to speak with a scheduler sometimes, now we have a Air Boss or something like that, all kind of crazy actually. But you are correct with our scheduling, respect is earned, not given just because you have a title. I believe it starts at the top in CMH, I just about had the VP of Scheduling and etc, stroke out on me in recurrent when asking him questions about the new schedules. Very defensive. Afterward all of us got a good laugh out it though.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back