• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

NJI and NJA Merger Official

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Okay. I have read and re-read the IBB TA. I have read and re-read the LOA. I have read and re-read the many e-mails from NJI management and RTS. And I have talked with many of our crewmembers and even a few NJA crews. Here are my conclusions:

As to a few points raise earlier, as I understand it, right to work laws can't influence the outcome of a single-carrier petition but do prevent a person from being forced to join a union. Regardless, if the shop becomes unionized, an "administration fee" equal to dues can be collected from the employee for collective bargaining services.
s.....

Gut . . . I'm still analyzing the whole thing as you are - and agree with most of what you have concluded - BUT as I read the right-to-work stuff, it is not only based on where you 'live' (not where the company is located) but the 'airline' industry (anything governed by the railway act) is exempt from right-to-work laws. That removes the option to be a non-member-member of the union.

I continue to be very disturbed by the power of the union rhetoric on both the company and popular perspective - it is so flawed.

Has anyone thought to ask us what we think?

Great post Gutshot. I think you may have a firmer grasp on the LOA than some of our guys. You make some great observations and raise some points that I had not considered.

Date of hire is the only fair way to integrate since the primary single-carrier argument has always been that we work for the same company. Fortunately, the 1108 leadership and the vast majority of 1108 pilots I have talked to agree.

NJA pilots have nothing to fear with "date of hire" integration. It will have absolutely zero impact on our career progression. With this TA, the brass ring has just become >40,000 lb. aircraft. With regards to pay nothing else matters. Since, by default, all NJI guys are in that category of aircraft my place in line for a >40,000 lb. aircraft has not been infringed upon.

3. I think the company is being foolish by waiting until next November to fill new NJI F/O slots with 1108 transfers. If this is going to happen anyway, let's get on with it starting January 1. NJI will hire 15 or so "off the street" F/O's next year. How many do you think will stick around long-term once they get on the line and discover they will NEVER make PIC in a Gulfstream? Happy trails to a half million in training dollars.

Good point. I never considered this.

The idea of CMH controlling the operation again will send more pilots packing than the idea of joining a union, yours truly included.

Can't blame you one bit on this one. We have some real gems in CMH.

I understand that for some NJI guys, there is a true aversion to union membership. I can only think of three reasons why this would be an issue:

1. They have never been a union member before and don't see the need to start now.
2. They have been union members before and the experience left a bad taste in there mouth.
3. They are scabs.

Group 1 and 2 I think would be encouraged and won over once they saw the quality of out leadership and the positive relationship the union has with management. As far as group 3 goes, who cares what they think, they have proven that they can't play well with other anyhow.

Has anyone thought to ask us what we think?

They didn't ask BN or JJ what they thought. Why should they ask, or care, what line pilots think?

Last edited:
:) My 2cents says that if the NJA boys send the truckers packing, there should be no reason why a in-house group(union)would not go over BIG with the NJI group!!!! I think no one wants to be associated with those, (for lack of a better term) crooks!!!! All they want are numbers and money, to support the truckers and ground support people, The airline side of the Teamsters is such a small piece of the pie, they couldn't care less about NJA pilots. My guess is, if that is put on the table, watch what happens on the NJI side of the house. You better not be standing in the doorway, YOU may just get trampled...:laugh:

Gutshotdraw:

Thanks for the response and for the perspective from an "NJI" point-of-view. I agree with much of what you say in your analysis of the situation. I hope that the constructive dialog can continue.

:) My 2cents says that if the NJA boys send the truckers packing, there should be no reason why a in-house group(union)would not go over BIG with the NJI group!!!!

I agree -- an in-house union would probably be easier for the NJI pilots to accept and embrace. Eventually giving them a seat at the head table (on the Exec Board / MEC) will help even more.

After reading a few of the other posts in this thread from this morning, I find it worth pointing out that some of our NJI brothers feel that their voice is not being heard by the company. Hmmmm....:cool:

Hog, we have been told that our President and the Bradley Boss had no idea this was coming and did not participate in the writing of the LOA. Based on an e-mail exchange I had, I believe that.

This is a long bumpy road and although I think I know where the map says we're going, I can't see around the next hill to know for sure.

Back to making the donuts.....

GSD,

Well I have fought with you many times and agreeded with you many times on this web site. However, I have to say that is one of the most well put together and thoughtful interpretations of the LOA and hell the IBB that I have yet seen.

I just have one statement and a question for you.

The quote from you above I believe is correct, however the people who helped write it are several pay grades above the people you mention.

My question is this, why if CMH took over operations would you bail??? Are they that screwed up?? Or what is the issue, I seriously would like to know. I have heard that you guys have some good mangers down there, is this true also??

I understand that for some NJI guys, there is a true aversion to union membership. I can only think of three reasons why this would be an issue:

1. They have never been a union member before and don't see the need to start now.
2. They have been union members before and the experience left a bad taste in there mouth.
3. They are scabs.

Group 1 and 2 I think would be encouraged and won ovI er once they saw the quality of out leadership and the positive relationship the union has with management. As far as group 3 goes, who cares what they think, they have proven that they can't play well with other anyhow.[/quote]

Your use of the number 3 is not a way to win friends or influence people. I fall into the number 2 category. I lost most of my retirement from an airline job thanks to a union. Today if we integrate the seniority lists, I will end up with a number well under 200 in seniority. So what ever happens here will not affect me in any manner. I won't be taking a pay cut. And I will continue to live at home with my HBA. I feel sorry that those hired at NJI with the expectation of making Capt on a Gulfstream will not reach their expectations. I for one do not see any need for unionization, either in-house or "in bed with thugs".

I do think it's very interesting how few NJI guys have posted on this thread...I am like many others still digesting what has happened and how it will affect me.

WGFP48

WGFP, Great post, But if the union goes to NJI, which it looks like its going to happen, In-house would be MUCH BETTER, than dealing with, as you put it "The THUGS" Don't you think???? :)

I do think it's very interesting how few NJI guys have posted on this thread...I am like many others still digesting what has happened and how it will affect me.

WGFP48

Standby. . . . . . . .

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back