NJASAPs Lack of Representation Regarding Furloughed Pilots

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

OPECJet

I state "pilots" rather than "members" based on the recent exclusion of furloughed pilots from the life insurance offer. Every email I received stated it was open to NJASAP members. When queried, union leadership responded furloughed pilots were excluded from the offering because they were concerned adding the furloughed pilots to the list given to the insurance company would decrease the likelihood of reaching the required participation level.

Second. Unaware to most of us until reading it on the NJASAP website, bargaining surveys were distributed. Unless you are a furloughed pilot of course. The Association obviously has no regard about what the concerns of furloughed pilots are.

We already have beaten to death the message board issue. We were locked out of it, then lied to about the reasons.

I'm posting this in hopes that you active guys will make a little noise on our behalf. When the furlough happened the Association did a fine job in some regards. Since then, they have dropped the ball completely in my opinion. I have NEVER been more disappointed in a union in my career. I have little doubt at some point you will be given the chance to sell us down the river, I.E. USAir, United, etc.

Of recalls ever occur, NJASAP has driven a wedge into the furloughed group I doubt will ever be overcome. Action needs to be taken to ensure representation on at least some level for all members. Not just the ones still working.

Pilots eat their young and throw their old off the cliffs. Just ask any retired delta, united, or us air pilot. If you don't pay dues, heaven help you.

OPEC,
Put me down for " what he said". I have not gotten a word from anyone over there except a few of my friends. One are two are active in the union and are working on this but get nothing. I know who put me on the street but I also know who is F$$$ing now that I'm out here. Thanks looking forward to my B-day email. :)

I agree the furloughed have not gotten much love from the eboard. However, the new eboard member who created the bargaining survey claimed he sent then to the furloughed pilots also. He said the union has 2900 email addresses on file- around 200 active or furloughed members then are not on the list for whatever reason. I suggest making sure your email is on the list and calling to have then send you the survey. The new insurance offering is also pretty week, but better than the company offered one. I and many others have done better recently using services like PIC Life or Zander Insurance to find life insurance.

Haven't seen one in my
mailbox, electronic or otherwise. I get everything else from the union.

I've been getting the Compass when it comes out, but I've gotten squat lately from them... why am I not surprised.

The longer this thing goes on, the more convinced I am that we 495 (or whatever is left of us) will be sold down the road at the next negotiation.

As far as the survey goes, I don't believe it's been sent to everyone (furloughed or not). 60 percent seems to ring a bell?

Getting sold down the river is a very real scenario. Many of the guys that are still on the property don't feel we should have ever been hired. I was told this first hand by one them just before I left. In his mind, we had been hired for future growth that the company should have seen was not going to happen. I'm sure that same group would gladly give up our recall rights for a better bargaining position.

Think about it. Do you really think management wants 495 people to go through to fill an open seat? The most junior guy on the list if recalled today would be going on 5th year f/o pay. Add another 5 years (ten year f/o pay) and we've become very expensive compared to a year #1 guy.

I hope I'm wrong, but my gut doesn't feel good about this upcoming contract.

I seriously doubt recall rights will be bargained away. With the way we have been shrinking and with continued contraction likely, I've talked to many captains who have been making contingency plans in case further shrinkage gets to them. There isn't an sic who would vote for it since most of us feel that it's about a coin flip as to whether or not there is another furlough. I honestly believe the only way we won't furlough more is if attrition picks up with a bunch of guys leaving for the airlines. I've talked to quite a few guys with applications elsewhere and with a few who have interviewed or are in the process now.

Latest resources

Back