• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

NJASAPs Lack of Representation Regarding Furloughed Pilots

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Yes he was. Who in those days was saying the growth was over?

Warren had this to say in 2007 and 2008-

"A much improved situation is emerging at NetJets, which sells and manages fractionally-owned aircraft. This company has never had a problem growing: Revenues from flight operations have increased 596% since our purchase in 1998. But profits had been erratic."

"Credit Rich Santulli, along with Mark, for this turnaround. Rich, like many of our managers, has no financial need to work. But you’d never know it. He’s absolutely tireless – monitoring operations, making sales, and traveling the globe to constantly widen the already-enormous lead that NetJets enjoys over its competitors. Today, the value of the fleet we manage is far greater than that managed by our three largest competitors combined."

"The NetJets brand – with its promise of safety, service and security – grows stronger every year. Behind this is the passion of one man, Richard Santulli. If you were to pick someone to join you in a foxhole, you couldn’t do better than Rich. No matter what the obstacles, he just doesn’t stop."​

What did you expect Warren, who isn't the wisest guy around when it comes to aviation companies, to say? It was part of the sales job-

Agree...only difference is that RTS couldn't save himself, let alone the employees.

Strong leadership will prevail in the end...and I don't mean union leadership...but a person who has a passion for the business. The business outgrew RTS, but they failed greatly in replacing him. I'm not a fan of Warren...smart guy when it comes to investing, but a very poor manager and he knows that. He always buys companies with mgmt in place.

Business (and life) is hard and there are no shortcuts.

Management Messiah? Interesting thread-hijack....

I thought we were talking about pilots supporting our own, when out of the blue, you try to inject the idea that we should should entrust our future to "strong" company management?

This company was built and continues to proudly stand on the efforts of its employee groups. Our success has had very little to do with whatever grossly overpaid Executive Management Team happens to occupy the front office. We are the only constant. We were here before, and will remain long after they've been shown the door.

Five different company Presidents and 3 CEO's over the last four years is a testament to that fact.

The employees are the brand. They are the ones who provide world-class service to the owners day in and day out. This company prospers through their efforts -- as it always has.

We will grow again. Someday (hopefully soon) we will be able to welcome the 495 furloughed pilots and 300 employees fired by the Executive Management Team back where they belong.

Your suggestion we place our faith in "strong leadership" from some "yet to be seen" company manager is absurd.

I think you may have read the comment out of context. It was a specific reply to a post about RTS. If you go back and read the thread closely, I think you will understand.

I don't think mgmt is strong at all and the fact that NJ has had turnover at the executive level reflects poorly on the individual who put them in place.

NJ personnel, who are not pilots, also have considerable contact and deliver services to a client. If they don't do their jobs, the client goes some place else.

A company is only successful if all departments are working as a team, with a positive attitude, serving the client. Mgmt must lead and be sure it happens. If they don't, then they are just taking up space.

I like netjets, great job, best I've ever had. I'm happy here, no desire whatsoever to go back to the airlines

Then I come to FI, read these union threads and everything goes to s***t. Always the same guys talking about "moving on", "can't wait to get on with an airline" and how netjets is destroying your life, but you guys are still here.

How I wish those of you who want your airline job get your airline job. This negative stuff is getting tiresome

Can somebody say AMEN????????

Another 495'er point of view.

Going into a third year of being laid off, my situation isn't much different than many of my fellow furloughed. My once considerable savings is nearly gone, my wife and I work several jobs to keep the monthly deficit to a minimum and I really miss being a pilot. Generally I am extremely pissed that I am on the street at a time when my industry is struggling and finding work is so difficult.

I am sure many of the 495 feel the same. However, let’s remember this layoff was not caused by the union or the company. Additionally, I believe no action taken by the company, union leadership or the pilot group has materially changed the timeline for recall.

I know we want better communications from the company and union. And yes it is easy to judge a person on the 18 day or someone who picks up an additional day. But we are laid off because the economy is in terrible shape, not because people continue to work the 18 day schedule.

I feel lucky because I do fly on occasion for a couple of flight departments. What I notice on those flights is how little total charter flight activity is occurring and how small the fractional footprint is compared to 2002-2008! Right now success for these fractionals is surviving. The time will come when the company needs experienced pilots and many of us will be excited to return. However, in this economy that timeline is not controlled by anybody on the NetJets Payroll.

Companies are great at creating competing factions within labor groups; let’s not allow a very difficult time to impose another break within our union!

Good luck and Happy Holidays

Going into a third year of being laid off, my situation isn't much different than many of my fellow furloughed. My once considerable savings is nearly gone, my wife and I work several jobs to keep the monthly deficit to a minimum and I really miss being a pilot. Generally I am extremely pissed that I am on the street at a time when my industry is struggling and finding work is so difficult.

I am sure many of the 495 feel the same. However, let’s remember this layoff was not caused by the union or the company. Additionally, I believe no action taken by the company, union leadership or the pilot group has materially changed the timeline for recall.

I know we want better communications from the company and union. And yes it is easy to judge a person on the 18 day or someone who picks up an additional day. But we are laid off because the economy is in terrible shape, not because people continue to work the 18 day schedule.

I feel lucky because I do fly on occasion for a couple of flight departments. What I notice on those flights is how little total charter flight activity is occurring and how small the fractional footprint is compared to 2002-2008! Right now success for these fractionals is surviving. The time will come when the company needs experienced pilots and many of us will be excited to return. However, in this economy that timeline is not controlled by anybody on the NetJets Payroll.

Companies are great at creating competing factions within labor groups; let’s not allow a very difficult time to impose another break within our union!

Good reading and best of luck to you!

Best of luck to all the 495ers! We sure need a better economy, gonna have to wait a few years for that, I'm afraid. The looming pilot shortage might come just in time for y'all, lets hope so. Would you prefer to come back to NJA or go with Delta? I don't know what my answer would be, by the way. Probably Delta by a nose. Maybe.

Latest resources

Back