• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

NICE Job Continental Airlines

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I have read several posts blaming the dispatcher for a bad choice of an alternate. If it was so bad. Why did the Captain sign the release?

The pilots don't have the resources or the time, as dispatchers and flight ops managers do to inspect who will be there, what options are available, etc, etc. I believe he is fine signing the release if the alternate is a legal, approved alternate, and the weather is above alternate minimums. At the same time in this specific situation it doesn't hurt to ask the dispatcher if the alternate will be a viable one to handle the pax in case of a diversion late at night.

Last edited:
Voucher, my ass. $200 in cash. The last thing I'd want after that is another chance to fly with the same airline!

I somewhat agree here. They did get all their cash back for the flight. Maybe an option to take the voucher or the cash. Some might still be willing to see it as a rare situation and keep flying with them for convenience.

Voucher, my ass. $200 in cash. The last thing I'd want after that is another chance to fly with the same airline!

I think it would be cool if you and few other NJA guys would just stay off CAL all together. Tell your customers if your position flight requires you to ride on CAL, their flight on the bizjet is a no-go. Or, tell them your position flight has to come out of their hours because your too special for certain airlines. See how that goes.

Read the article. CAL put quite a bit of money on the table for this not being their fault. Scale the economies of the two operations and I bet this is a lot more money than NJA gives back for something that isn't proved to be their fault.

Scale the economies of the two operations and I bet this is a lot more money than NJA gives back for something that isn't proved to be their fault.

You would be wrong sir. I've seen flight hours credited because there wasn't any sugar on board, or we didn't have diet Coke (had diet Pepsi but owner wanted Coke products). The fractionals spare no expense to make the customer happy.

Why didn't the Captain just go over to the FBO and deplane? Sure they would have had to go back through security...but so what? Like I said before, everybody involved should be keel hauled.

That being said, I think the pax were well compensated by getting a FULL refund PLUS a $200 voucher PLUS a $50 card for whatever. If I get bad service and a bad meal at a restaurant the managers comps my meal and gives me some free food later. I don't expect a free prime rib dinner for life.

How many restaurants lock customers inside overnight with overflowing toilets?

You would be wrong sir. I've seen flight hours credited because there wasn't any sugar on board, or we didn't have diet Coke (had diet Pepsi but owner wanted Coke products).

Ten grand an hour and you don't have sugar? That sounds like it was your fault. If they wanted Coke products it's probably because they are largely invested in Coke, not because of the taste.

CAL/Expressjet have been absolved here.

......Why didn't the Captain just go over to the FBO and deplane? Sure they would have had to go back through security...but so what? Like I said before, everybody involved should be keel hauled.

Ahhhhhhhh, the armchair QB's here are quite refreshing. I'm thinking you might want to call Babbit and give him the oportunity to unleash your vast knowledge and background experience so that the FAA, NTSB, and the entire US national airspace system can run like a well oiled machine.

There needs to be a minimum level of passenger rights that any airline flying stopping in the U.S. should follow. These should be either Federal Law, or Federal Air Regulations, to ensure compliance.

This would help both airlines and flight crews know what the minimum level of service & safety the airlines must provide at all times.

A passenger bill of rights would also provide cover for the airline pilots who work for "less than stellar" carriers (as I have in the past), as a pilot cannot violate regulations or federal law no matter what airline management wants them to do.

This is a systemic problem across all the airlines in my view, every one (regionals and majors) has had incidents of overflowing lavs, long delays, and passengers who have been refused the basic right to depart an airplane that is still on the ground after hours of delay.

This should be a good thing for all of us, as pilots are some of the most "frequent flyers" while deadheading to, from or during work.

Lets hope this incident finally forces congress & the FAA to act.

This is the fault of the CA. If they would not let them out at the terminal, have them push you back, and take them to the FBO. Have them get cabs and pick them up at the terminal the next morning.

I have done this before. Yes, you have to do the carpet dance, but guess what, it is better than making people sleep in a jet for nine hrs.

Great suggestion!

If not the perfect threat to get some action....

Latest resources

Back