• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

NICE Job Continental Airlines

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
. At the same time in this specific situation it doesn't hurt to ask the dispatcher if the alternate will be a viable one to handle the pax in case of a diversion late at night.
I agree with you, however what you said above is part of being a viable alternate. It sounds like the Mesaba agent dropped the ball. Too bad for the passengers. What a terrible situation to be a part of.

This is the fault of the CA. If they would not let them out at the terminal, have them push you back, and take them to the FBO. Have them get cabs and pick them up at the terminal the next morning.

I have done this before. Yes, you have to do the carpet dance, but guess what, it is better than making people sleep in a jet for nine hrs.

That is the first thing that came to my mind.... FBO!

How many restaurants go 500 MPH, operate at 37000 ft and have been used as flying missles?

You're right. Because those people were on airplanes they have no right to expect to be let off within 10 hours of landing.

Nice the way you tied 9/11 into it to somehow evoke patriotism to justify those folks sitting on the ramp all night. Smooth...

As far as my armchair QuarterBacking...using your analogy I am a quarter back and I guarantee those people would have got off the freaking plane within an hour...maybe two at the outside if I had been there.

Regarding the FBO: The 145 needs airstairs.

Good point but....
Been a long time since I've been to an FBO but don't most larger ones have portable stairs? Hell at that point I think people would have been ready to use a step ladder...... yeah I know someone would have broken a leg...yada yada ya....

You're right. Because those people were on airplanes they have no right to expect to be let off within 10 hours of landing.

Nice the way you tied 9/11 into it to somehow evoke patriotism to justify those folks sitting on the ramp all night. Smooth...

As far as my armchair QuarterBacking...using your analogy I am a quarter back and I guarantee those people would have got off the freaking plane within an hour...maybe two at the outside if I had been there.

The ananolgy was not to 9/11 but to the security required today for 47 paxs, not the two snobby lawyers in the back of your citation. I know it's hard for you to grasp but there are policies, proceedures, and rules that have to be followed. I'm quite sure there are multiple options that were available past that, but second-guessing is a lot easier from your recliner apparently.

I'd give you a quarter to buy a clue, but I'm quite sure I'd have to tell you how high to jump as well.

Good point but....
Been a long time since I've been to an FBO but don't most larger ones have portable stairs? Hell at that point I think people would have been ready to use a step ladder...... yeah I know someone would have broken a leg...yada yada ya....
Call the fire department. They've got a whole group of folks who love to get called for an "exercise" that will count for a response movement. If they have the equipment to get people out of burning buildings and planes, they can get 47 people down from a 4' drop. Added bonus, they have complete access to the terminal building (codes, keys, crashaxe, whatever). Once inside (or even if stuck outside) they'd know who to call. "Hey, airport manager, I've got 50 people standing on your tarmac, please come get them. Thanks. Bye."

Call the fire department. They've got a whole group of folks who love to get called for an "exercise" that will count for a response movement. If they have the equipment to get people out of burning buildings and planes, they can get 47 people down from a 4' drop. Added bonus, they have complete access to the terminal building (codes, keys, crashaxe, whatever). Once inside (or even if stuck outside) they'd know who to call. "Hey, airport manager, I've got 50 people standing on your tarmac, please come get them. Thanks. Bye."

Yeah! Wow, what a cool idea! That's just so crazy, it just might work! Then, let's call mcGyver and the A team and get B.A. Baracas to jump his van over the terminal!!

Sarcasm off-

Seems pretty clear the feet that need to be held to the fire don't belong to CAL or Expressjet.

Good point but....

One of the biggest issues Expressjet charter has is finding airstairs. They are scarce. Maybe they had some there, but I doubt it.

Latest resources

Back