Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
blackbox said:
exactly...

If it was any other airline, we wouldnt hear a word about it. And who knows if it's true, XJTboy might have made it up.
Where in this thread do you see an "XJTBoy" or any reference to XJT at all? The original poster obviously works for Mesaba.

xjjetdog said:
Today on our way to GFK, we overhear a Pinnacle crew looking for a place to divert because of the weather in MSP. A requirement for their diversionary airport was if they had Type IV anti-ice fluid. They finally felt comfortable diverting all the way to GRB, because it was the only station that had Type IV in stock in August!!!! Someone in the Pinnacle training department needs to step and start teaching certain Pinnacle crews that Type IV fluid does not keep ice off the aircraft while enroute.

If it was a company policy then good for them. Who cares wether it makes sense or not in the middle of August. If the requirement is true then it exists for the safety of the passengers, aircraft, and crew. You can't just pick and choose what rules are valid today and what will be valid tommorrow. It's all or nothing in my opinion.

standaman said:
If it was a company policy then good for them. Who cares wether it makes sense or not in the middle of August.

Are you telling me you'd feel 100% confident looking your 50 passengers in the eye, telling them that you diverted to BFE rather than somewhere reasonably close to their destination, because you couldn't find deicing fluid in the middle of the summer?

If the requirement is true then it exists for the safety of the passengers, aircraft, and crew. You can't just pick and choose what rules are valid today and what will be valid tommorrow. It's all or nothing in my opinion.

Safety? No. The requirement exists because the bureaucrat who wrote the manual didn't think it through, and an illogical rule is in the book. Bring it to the airline's attention (I'm sure this incident will), and it'll get corrected. Don't hide behind safety when you know that's a crock.

This isn't a question of "picking and choosing" rules. This is a question of using your brain and your background of knowledge to apply them appropriately. Here's an example: When my window heat won't test on an airplane that's parked in the sun, my knowledge and experience tells me that it's because the glass is already above the thermostat cutout temperature. My checklist makes no mention of it -- it simply says to check that it turns on.

By your logic, I should write up and ground the airplane and strand the passengers until a suitably cool piece of $20,000 glass can be located and installed? No. I use my brain and realize that it isn't a safety issue, just as the lack of Type IV in August isn't.

I swear there should be a day dedicated to logic and reason in every airline's indoc.

Last edited:
I'm not totally disagreeing with you CA1900, the rule is bogus. Maybe my response was poorly written. But still the crew did what they were suppposed to do. That is my point. I would agree that whoever wrote the book did not think it through. Thats not the crews fault. I also agree with you that they did not have to divert to someplace in the middle of August just to find Type VI. I would feel safe going anywhere. Thats me using common sense. But if the company says that you have to have Type VI in the middle of August then I will do it. I would be okay telling that to my passengers. It's not my airplane it is the companies. If thier definition of safety happens to differ from mine they win. I still have to defend the flight crew. They did what they were supposed to do according to thier company.

The key thing to remember here is that this *NEVER* happened. I work in the PCL SOC and there is no record of this happening. If you truly believe it did happen then you need to provide a FLG flight so it can be verified!

arthompson said:
The key thing to remember here is that this *NEVER* happened. I work in the PCL SOC and there is no record of this happening. If you truly believe it did happen then you need to provide a FLG flight so it can be verified!

when each dispatcher is working 25 flights at a time, it is pretty hard to keep track of everything that is going on.

why can pinnacle pilots not think for themselves? atc tells you to turn leaving dca and you say "no i need to stay on this heading." two violations in one day. that is something to be proud of.

can the captains over there make logical decisions instead of acting like robots?

CELL CALL! you're an idiot!

jackbo said:
when each dispatcher is working 25 flights at a time, it is pretty hard to keep track of everything that is going on.

I'm pretty sure that a dispatcher would remember whether his flight diverted because of an icing issue in the middle of August. Like arthompson said: never happened.

why can pinnacle pilots not think for themselves? atc tells you to turn leaving dca and you say "no i need to stay on this heading." two violations in one day. that is something to be proud of.

The violations in DCA were not solely belonging to Pinnacle. According to the FAA, these violations were happening frequently to every regional and major airline that flies into DCA. If you want to talk P56 violations, then you'll have to include everyone. I can assure you that we all can think for ourselves when needed.

CELL CALL! you're an idiot!

Actually, it's SELCAL, not "Cell Call." It's not a wireless phone call, its a "Selective Call" message. I would explain exactly what that means to you, but I'm sure your feeble mind couldn't understand it anyway. Go back to bouncing around the virtual skies in MS2004 and let the big boys handle the airline talk. I think your mommy's calling you for your bedtime story anyway. Nighty-night numbnuts.

Latest resources

Back