News Flash - Pinnacle Requests Type IV in August

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
standaman said:
I also agree with you that they did not have to divert to someplace in the middle of August just to find Type VI.

How much do you think a spraydown with Type VI ????? goes for these days? Although, with Type VI you can probably apply it in August and it will stay on the airplane till Groundhog Day.

xjjetdog said:
How much do you think a spraydown with Type VI ????? goes for these days? Although, with Type VI you can probably apply it in August and it will stay on the airplane till Groundhog Day.

Maybe Mesaba is approved for Type VI fluids, but I'm not aware of Type VI existing... don't see a holdover chart for it. I am most familiar with Type I and Type IV. However, I am impressed by the 6+ month holdover time of the Type VI fluid. Maybe Pinnacle should look into that...

If your post wasn't pure flamebait, it's quite possible that there is a logical reason for the divert, and maybe you didn't catch all of the details.

I don't believe that anyone diverting in August would consider the necessity of an alternate airport having deicing capability. However, I can see a situation where a CRJ might divert to avoid icing conditions. (i.e. window heat controller or wing anti ice system deferred, gear down ferry, etc..) Why don't you just stick to your 4 APU's and a Hairdryer... and we'll handle the Canadair.

Next time you ride in one of our airplanes, feel free to come up and read our MEL.

crjgearbiatch said:
Maybe Mesaba is approved for Type VI fluids, but I'm not aware of Type VI existing... don't see a holdover chart for it. I am most familiar with Type I and Type IV. However, I am impressed by the 6+ month holdover time of the Type VI fluid. Maybe Pinnacle should look into that...

If your post wasn't pure flamebait, it's quite possible that there is a logical reason for the divert, and maybe you didn't catch all of the details.

I don't believe that anyone diverting in August would consider the necessity of an alternate airport having deicing capability. However, I can see a situation where a CRJ might divert to avoid icing conditions. (i.e. window heat controller or wing anti ice system deferred, gear down ferry, etc..) Why don't you just stick to your 4 APU's and a Hairdryer... and we'll handle the Canadair.

Next time you ride in one of our airplanes, feel free to come up and read our MEL.

Maybe I should have spelled it out in my post, type SIX. That was the joke. You're right, my second post was flamebait. The original was a first hand account. But I'll cut you some slack, it was late and Roman numerals are compicated. I don't blame you, rather the Memphis pulic education system. Also, if anti-ice fluid is part of a MEL for a inop window heat controller/wing anti-ice system, then this thing really does belong in Canada..........ehhhh?

xjjetdog said:
I don't blame you, rather the Memphis pulic education system.
Hey, hey, HEY!

My diploma says Memphis on it!

Oh, wait... Memphis Public schools.... you said pulic... oh, never mind, different schools :)

There is a sucker born every minute, and there are a lot of them that hang out on this board.

There is no requirement at PCL to divert only to stations that have type IV..ever. In fact a lot of the airports that we fly into don't even have type IV.

Becides the fact that the story is totally unreasonable, and no one else can confirm it, and it's been a while since a PCL bashing thread, this one is pure BS.

PCL_128 said:
The violations in DCA were not solely belonging to Pinnacle. According to the FAA, these violations were happening frequently to every regional and major airline that flies into DCA. If you want to talk P56 violations, then you'll have to include everyone. I can assure you that we all can think for ourselves when needed.

Heyas guys,

I saw a bulletin on the wall about how anal retentive the feds are about the DC airspace. Word is that if you depart with the wrong transponder code (gee, I've never done that...), they will consider this a "deviation" and come after the crew.

FYI...

Nu

Rook said:
Yeah I really wanted to divert to BRD but all the alcohol was already used up and the patio furniture was gone. (Never thought a senior XJ 146 CA would stoop that low.)

Night guys,
Rook

hehehehe......That was a grand slam comeback....I usually don't chime in on 9E vs. XJ tennis match, but this come back was out of the park.....LOL

before you get flamed by my bretherens at Mesaba the Avro Captain event was a different situation in Grand Forks. The patio furniture was just the BRD event.

Hmmm...

xjjetdog said:
Today on our way to GFK, we overhear a Pinnacle crew looking for a place to divert because of the weather in MSP. A requirement for their diversionary airport was if they had Type IV anti-ice fluid. They finally felt comfortable diverting all the way to GRB, because it was the only station that had Type IV in stock in August!!!! Someone in the Pinnacle training department needs to step and start teaching certain Pinnacle crews that Type IV fluid does not keep ice off the aircraft while enroute.

This is stupid.

9E had no diversions to GRB yesterday and have had no diversions to GRB within the last five days. We had one diversion yesterday. The only ARJ flight that I know of to GFK landed 2 hours and 45 minutes before that diversion flight originated in MSP.

Last edited:
jackbo said:
CELL CALL! you're an idiot!
Interesting, I didn't know that they installed a cellular telephone in the CRJ cockpit. I learn many things by reading this board...

Maybe Pinnacle had cell phones installed on all A/C so we could call up the hotel on overnights to make sure there are no drunk Mesaba pilots running around yelling, knocking on doors and throwing patio furniture. If I know ahead of time, I will be more alert and can duck when a flying patio chair comes flying towards me by a wasted Mesaba pilot.

Latest resources

Back