• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

New UAL hiring info- I think.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Looks like the hour requirement is higher now then it used to be. Didn't it used to be 350 hours or some BS? I guess the low time experiment didn't work out too well.

Looks like the hour requirement is higher now then it used to be. Didn't it used to be 350 hours or some BS? I guess the low time experiment didn't work out too well.
It's a market economy. Today, there are a bunch o' thousand+ hour pilots looking to come to ual.

Hi!

I think that the numbers of pilots get applying to UAL and their qualifications will really surprise UAL. I bet they'll change their mins within 6 months.

cliff
YIP

When it comes to the internal recs, is it a good idea to have your father write you one if he works there? Just asking because I know some places don't accept recommendation letters from family members.

Is anyone seeing their emailed app not being the same as what you filled in? First, it left off several Supervisor's names, and when I went back in to check I had indeed filled them in. Also, where were you supposed to enter you DOB and SS number?? I was never asked for that.

Seems buggy...

I never even recieved my app in my email. I know for a fact that the whole thing is filled out. Also I remember someone posting something about a cognitive/personality test being a part of the application, did I miss something? I know I didn't get that option. Hopefully I did it right!

PS: The SS number is entered on the page where they ask you for your address and name. I never saw a spot for DOB.

I was in the hiring pool in 2000-2001 waiting for my class date. They through out the pool. I would love to contact someone about getting another shot. I just can't seem to get a contact name or number or e-mail. Anyone have some intel ?

Ex-poolies have already been contacted and invited to re-apply by UAL. Maybe they don't have your current address?

They needed that to satisfy the EEOC lawsuit(s) when they were ordered to hire 2x the number of women and minorities as actually applied as a percentage of the entire application group. For a certain time period if 5 out of 100 applicants were women or minority and 20 pilots were hired, they needed to take 2 from the 5 instead of just 1 (or zero as was the case before said lawsuits). In order to find a way to actually achieve the hiring numbers to satisfy the lawsuit, the 350 hour minimum was enacted because there just were not enough of those folks available who had x000 hours of flight time like the other 18 newhires. United isn't the only company to hire as a result of lawsuits, just the best known for some reason.

For most RJ captains United is about a 6-7 year break-even, with a lot less QOL for those years if you choose to go. And for some unbelieveable reason it looks like they're going to need a second round of reorganization to figure out how to not keep losing money. It doesn't exactly inspire one to put an app in. I've heard of a captain here at XJT who has a wife who is fairly senior at UAL. They use XJT medical benefits for her because they're better!? That sux.

Last edited:
OK, I found the page I was looking for. Some of you guys were asking, PM'ing about junior bases for fleet/seat and such, so here's the info. Keep in mind that new hires will come in with about a 8000 seniority number and the number one guy at UAL has a seniorty number of "1". Obviously since 8000 is greater than every number below, you wouldn't be able to "hold" that position unless you got it in class. However, you'll at least be able to see the relative seniority of the various fleets/seats/domiciles. If you don't see a domicile under the aircraft type, that means that aircraft isn't domiciled in that city. A guy with a seniority number of around 4000 was hired in mid 1995, guys in the 5000's were probably hired sometime in 1997, and guys in the high 7000's were hired recently, for perspective.

Most junior seniority number in system for fleet/seat/domicile

737-300 F/O
DCA 7940
ORD 7973
DEN 7892
SEA 5082

A320 F/O
JFK 7360
DCA 7986
ORD 7985
DEN 7586
LAX 7797
SFO 7829

767 F/O
JFK 6144
DCA 7913
ORD 6915
DEN 6135
LAX 7823
SFO 7966
SEA 4699

and FYI......

777 F/O
DCA 5306
ORD 5594
LAX 3546
SFO 5625
SEA 4699

737 Captain
DCA 5195
ORD 5413
DEN 4964
SEA 2670

747-400 Captain
DCA 1112
ORD 817
LAX 708
SFO 1014

Hope that helps. I'm not typing every category in because it takes too long and these are the only ones that apply to new hires anyway.

Latest resources

Back