• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

New trend for AirTran negotiations?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Sad....all they have to do is give the fellas a warm fuzzy...clean up the gate presence.. reduce health care costs..and give the pilots pat on the back for bustin arse .. Oh..and if they could fix FLL..I'm sure the customers would appreciate it.... Like send the rampies to ATL for training with no replacements..on cruise weekend?..Now there is some good management?

Probably low 'seat progression' ... movement and growth will slow...why should a FO put up with 60 K for years and years?...If you could snag a job at FedEx or SWA or return to your cushy legacy flying wide body's ???? Well...can't blame em I guess.. sad....If there was a little more love and brotherhood..maybe the landscape would change.. Orlando has their head in the sand and is living in an era of 30 yrs ago.....figure it out please!

You (meaning all you "company men") are the reason no progress has happen in the pass. Do you really believe that removing one person at the table would change anything. Go sit down with coach, conference call KG, sip some AirTran koolaide, and let them tell how great things are at the big A. The one person was removed in September, 6 months later where are we? Not much closer, sure some of the fluff stuff is taken care, but the big items are still looming. Removing one person from the table did nothing, high atrition, poor moral, sick calls, and the MEH thing are what is driving the talks not the removing MB.

If you have ever flown with SH you know why we have no TA !
We still need another replacement. The MEH has everything to do with getting the contract done befor April. The company is planing a huge media blitz in April intime for the MEH share holders meeting. A TA would go along way.

If you have ever flown with SH you know why we have no TA !
We still need another replacement. The MEH has everything to do with getting the contract done befor April. The company is planing a huge media blitz in April intime for the MEH share holders meeting. A TA would go along way.
SH Flys!!!!!!!! I had no idea, He's our "nessie". Nobody has ever really seen him we just hear about unconfirmed sightings, mostly at all you can eat buffets. Monday thru Thursday only of course.

Seems to me, unless the attrition rate is so high that it is impacting ops (which would surprise me since AT pays well and is a good place to work) then to a certain extent attrition means you continually have workers on one and two year pay.

Training costs money, Chief . . . about $22K per pilot . . . so a first year FO is as expensive as a third year pilot. . . . and less productive, since the first three and a half months he's not even flying the line.

And, if all the FO's are leaving, who's going to upgrade? The ones that couldn't or wouldn't leave? Last time this happened, the upgrade on the DC9 got down to 11 months, and the upgrade failure rate was abysmal.

Is attrition really that high that it would impact ops?

Well, they are paying about a dozen 717 FO's Captain pay to fly FO on the 717, and his month they list no captain upgrades, presumably to stave off having to pay another dozen FO's bypass pay . . . so, yes, I would say it is impacting operations.

IMHO a major reason guys are leaving is because the incompetence of certain management personnel has become rather apparent. IF you could work for the next 20 years for profitable, yet pilot-friendly management, then why work instead for a company that seems to think that the only way to make money is by squeezing the pilot group . . . .

People are voting with their feet, and I'll bet that if the company rolled over completely and accepted the Union's proposed pay rates right now, they probably couldn't get it to pass a vote by the pilot group.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. I had no idea you had that much attrition there. Couple more questions. Is this a new thing, or has there always been a certain amount of attrition? Also, where are they going?

I think Airtran has historically had a lot of attrition.

I think Airtran has historically had a lot of attrition.

I think, historically, you were deprived of air in the birth canal.

Out of my class of 15, 14 are still here over 5 years later.

I'd also venture to say that all of us were happy up until about 1 -2 years ago . . . . I doubt anyone is now.

The stupidest thing this management has done is squander the goodwill that existed previously. . . . . because they couldn't calculate it into dollars and cents, they had no real grasp of the value of that goodwill to the bottom line of this company . . . so they traded it in for a small savings in payroll costs by dragging out negotiations instead of wrapping it up early, cheaply, and on a high note.

Last edited:
I think, historically, you were deprived of air in the birth canal.

Out of my class of 15, 14 are still here over 5 years later.

Wow. That is great. I'm a little suprised and would like to see the proof but we'll take your word for it.

This pilot group does so much to save this company MILLIONS OF DOLLARS! Single engine taxi, starting the APU at the last moment, flying at a higher altitude than filed to conserve fuel...

I hope for all our sakes that pilots are not still doing this. Why on Earth would you want to pi$$ off 117-137 passengers by having them sit on a hot airplane just to save a few gallons of APU fuel? We are in the customer service field guys. That means keeping the customer HAPPY from the moment they make their reservation to the moment they pick up their baggage off the conveyor. Turn the APU on BEFORE the first passenger steps foot on the aircraft. At destination -during taxi in-, turn the APU on so conditioned air is ready to be introduced into the cabin the moment engines are shut down. Leave the APU on until the last passenger deplanes -or- external air conditioning is hooked up.

Please Please Please do not subject our passengers to hot, and/or low air movement cabin conditions. We need for them to be repeat customers...not go to the competition.

Latest resources

Back