• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

New rules to obtain ATP.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Anyone remember the push to have inert gas in the center fuel tanks of 747s?
What about it?

It was all the result of media hype after TWA 800. No other 747 had ever had this problem - before or since. Nor did they prove it was the cause of this particular "mishap". But, "we have to do SOMETHING."

Another example of a non-issue getting attention if publicity is sufficient.

The new rule requiring ground training and FFS time ignores the fact that both pilots of the Colgan disaster had this training. Obviously to no avail.

Last edited:
There were more fuel tank explosions than just TWA 800. There were more problems than just Colgan 3704. Colgan was the catalyst that caused the change not the entire reason for the change. The Feds also changed fatigue rules for truck drivers on the same day as airline pilots.

Either way I want to get the word out. If you are thinking about getting an ATP do it now!

I like having the NGS. Why not? It's adds a bit of safety, and I don't have to pay for it.

Wasn't the Colgan crash really just the result of letting a pilot with marginal skills move up the ranks?

Just like giving passing grades to failing high school students, sometimes you have to tell someone that the left seat, and in fact the flight deck might not be the right job for them.

I would say in my substantial years as a sim instructor, I have run into two or three high time captains that really should be in another line of work. They just don't have the flight deck mindset.

^^^^ EXACTLY!!!!!

More flight hours, ground instruction, sim. time or sleep will change that.

Ok the FAA has changed the training, testing, experience, and fatiuge requirements. If a pilot fails a checking event they are placed under a special observation program. You claim none of this will work. In your opinion what will work?

Sheesh,
Fall asleep during a sim ride and.........

Bailout, exactly how is this suppose to work? It is a chicken or the egg problem. I think the airlines are going to have to provide this training BEFORE they can legally hire a pilot.

I wanted to get the warning out to people that don't have the ATP written. It is good for two years. If you think you want to fly for the airlines take it before august.

It is not at all the chicken or the egg. New pilots will have go to a course at FlightSafety or such, pay the big money for that program, get their ATP, then get hired by the regionals. FSI already has the program in place. I have seen it. They just waiting on the victims.

Latest resources

Back