• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

New Rest Rules tomorrow, 12/21/11

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I don't think it's a coincidence that these rest rules come out just before guys start hitting the age 65 limit. All these rules do is allow the passenger airlines to do more with less. :angryfire

I really don't think so. It does allow for some things they couldn't do before (transcon turns) but in the end I imagine the rules will probably require slightly more staffing not less. Especially at the regionals because when you are doing 5 leg days the new duty time restrictions become very prohibitive. For the most part the rules are mostly sensible IMHO although there's a few things in there that raise eyebrows such as the definition of "suitable rest facility" and the alternative fatigue management program. Also signing that you are fit for duty is just another bit of do-nothing bureaucratic nonsense.

I really don't think so. It does allow for some things they couldn't do before (transcon turns) but in the end I imagine the rules will probably require slightly more staffing not less. Especially at the regionals because when you are doing 5 leg days the new duty time restrictions become very prohibitive.

Awesome! the new reg will create more RJ jobs and no new Fedex/UPS jobs.... PERFECT! Yes! There is a God!

I am loving the 8 hours of time in the hotel room. It takes me a while to unwind and get to sleep. I frequently got 4-5 hours best case scenario. I don't know how these old guys did it for so many years. Coffee and cigarettes I suppose.

At my airline they (the station managers) are continually pushing up the van departure times to ridiculously early times. Between that and the van that frequently shows up 45 minutes late or a long ass ride to the hotel in rush hour traffic in one of the cosmopolitan liberal utopian cities and there ain't much opportunity for sleep.

Last edited:
Awesome! the new reg will create more RJ jobs and no new Fedex/UPS jobs.... PERFECT! Yes! There is a God!

I hear you loud and clear, but more pilot jobs overall is always a plus for the profession in a variety of ways, fundamentally boiling down to supply vs. demand.

Er well I guess you've never worked part 135?

I've got a certificate you can yank.

Try waiting on a rescue flight or working a heavy crew charter. Or starting reserve and getting a call later in the day. While I'm not one to cry fatigue for nothing, I have and will do it when it gets unsafe. 16 hours isn't always the edge of the envelope on safety, but it can get close enough for comfort.

Or a regional

I flew part 135 which included late night organ transplant/donor flights. I thought I was being the go-to-guy, accepting flights after being on call all day long and then flying into the early morning hours. One particular flight made me realize how potentially unsafe it can be to fly fatigued. I will never exceed my own personal limitations ever again.

You guys act like it's some kind of badge of honor to fly a 16 hour day. Everyone is different, but to say that your are safe at the tail end of 16 hours is bullsh!t.

that's a short day at all the bottom feeder's like Kalitta, Atlas, and Evergreen...

However, apparently their pilots are immune to fatigue.

Exactly! No job is worth getting dead over.

Weekly limits? How are you guys reading this? 30-7 screws my schedule all the time and keeps from getting a lot more of that cumulative rest-

I'm still soaking it in- but I don't understand how any of you are standing up for the old regs- throughout the regs, they were archaic at best- asinine and dangerous at worst- esp at the regionals/135- something needed to be done-
And the logic- block flying has literally nothing to do with my fatigue level, and I'm often working harder when on the ground-

Cargo shouldn't be ignored- that's bs

Lear, not to worry, our contract limits us to 8 hours, and now the feds require 10 hours off, so we now have th best of both sides and wwe are not going to let them push us to 9 hours.

The new rules can't require us to fly to 9, but they can require the company to schedule us for 10 off.
That's good to hear. Admittedly, I don't know the SWA contract very well in the daily scheduling rules.

Hopefully you guys will hold that 8 hour max line in upcoming negotiations. I'd still like a few of my long international and west-coast layovers, even if it means a couple days less a month at home. Relaxing trips = well-rested when I get home. :)

I'm pretty sure getting your long layovers isn't the primary agenda Lear-
That said- I'm almost always more rested when I get home

I'm pretty sure getting your long layovers isn't the primary agenda Lear-

That said- I'm almost always more rested when I get home
I'm assuming you mean it isn't the primary agenda for SWAPA... didn't say it was, but I'm concerned that it will be one of the "increased productivity" give-ups that GK wants.

I don't really understand this desire for long layovers. If I want to spend 24 hours in Cancun, I'll take a vacation on my days off and spend the time there with friends or family. When I'm at work, give me a long enough layover for a good night's rest, and then back to flying so I can get home as soon as possible and spend my time the way that I want to instead of spending it where the company sticks me.

Latest resources

Back