• Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

densoo

Pilot-Fatigue Rules to Be Announced Tomorrow, U.S. Agency Says
By Alan Levin
December 20, 2011 6:00 PM EST
Facebook Twitter Queue
Regulations designed to reduce fatigue among airline pilots will be announced tomorrow at 10 a.m. in Washington, the U.S. Federal Aviation Administration said in a statement.
The agency last year proposed to give pilots more rest between shifts and reduce the maximum hours they could work each day. The proposed rule would have given airlines more latitude to assign pilots additional flight time, as many as 10 hours instead of the current eight-hour limit.
The proposal has been under review by the White House Office of Management and Budget. Cargo airlines have argued their pilots should be exempt and pilot unions have supported the rule, according to filings in the government docket.
The rule will be the first change in the 1940s-era regulations since they were amended in 1985.
To contact the reporter on this story: Alan Levin in Washington at [email protected]
To contact the editor responsible for this story: Bernard Kohn at [email protected]

I'm hopeful, but also fear the law of unintended consequences of new regs as well as the the big $$$ lobbying groups put up to fight this. Hang on...

I'm betting good money that the rest rules will not actually increase / enhance rest but will allow more flight time inside the duty day footprint most of us actually operate in, especially if the cargo operators were successful in getting themselves exempted.

The upside: for some people who like to work hard and go home, it may result in more money for the same or fewer days at work. For those of us who like long layovers in international destinations, not so much.

Just a prediction...

Dunno. The White House may be releasing them now as part of the Tit for Tat that is going on with the Payroll tax cut extension.

Well it's past 10 Eastern. We may be better off. If the new rules allow 10 hours of flight time and only an hour extra off duty (9), then they can take their new rest rules and shove it up their collective a s s holes.

They seem good to me. Just read an article from a BUF newspaper.

9 hrs duty time max for post 2400 reports.

14 hrs duty time max

10 hours min rest HELL YEA

30 hours not 24 free from duty per week, WIN

9 hrs increased from 8 max flight time. That is fine w me. You can't get beat up at commuter doing that because you would run out of duty all the time. Sitting on a cross country flight at cruise altitude is hardly as tiring as other flying operations.

I like what I know about these changes so far.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back