• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

New generation of USAF officers

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I agree, I think the potential of failure is not with those coming in, it is in the fact that we may not be training them right as a whole - that's where I think we need to step up - and I wanted to see if this was a common thought.

In the old days, if you were an Eagle driver, you were an Eagle driver. Now, if you want to opt out of the "can't say this word or that word" game - no problem. Not willing to hang with the bro's after hours - whether a partaker of spirits or not - your choice. If you just want to fly the airplane and not live the life - have at it. Of course, those that preceeded us knew that morale and unit cohesion were built with such practices - now we don't care. And, of course that had nothing to do with the fact that when I took off at night heavyweight with 3 bags, shredded a 4th stage compressor blade and from the indications inside couldn't tell which motor was the one spitting flames out of the back - my wingman wouldn't rejoin close enough so he could see which motor was burning for fear of his safety. But we had the unit cohesion such that I could trust him to poke his nose into a fight to save me?

Any heavy driver can tell you of at least one person who did not warrant upgrade to aircraft commander - the Sq leadership would never let them take a jet around the world on their own. But everyone is "owed" an upgrade - so they went to the school, got the stamp, then were promptly sent to a UPT base to be an instructor of that newest generation. And nothing against FAIP's, but 50% or more of T-6/T-37 IP's being FAIP's is wrong. You have no operational experience, and no matter how good of an instructor you are, you can't honestly tell me that you wouldn't be an even better instructor after 1 or 2 operational tours. Do your IP tour, but do it after seeing why we do what we do - I did mine after 3 operational tours. You are training USAF pilots, not T-37 pilots.

Our future combat capability is affected by how we grow them. Ask any air refueling receiver pilot (as opposed to the tanker pilot) who has the better reputation - the AD guys or the ANG guys that converted from fighters in the last few years. I have - The ANG guys win hands down. Of course they take a distinct interest in selecting and training their pilots correctly and exactly how they want them - they will be around for a while. In the AD unit, they son't polish their LT's quite as well. Also, I don't think the ANG units write their gradesheets for the lawyers - if you are an AETC IP, you know what I mean.

Anyway, our senior leadership is failing us with how they man our ROTC dets, how they man our UPT bases, how they tie our hands in building up our newest generation, etc - basically every task involved with molding our newest officers. I step up to the plate when I see the need - but when I stated to our Sq leadership that I wanted to address the ROTC group as a whole, I was told that I was wasting my time. My exact quote was "if I can keep one of them from becoming a SNAP, it will be worth it" - still no go.

If you are seeing these things, also - it isn't just you. It is more widespread than we think. My hope is that the majority of us "middle management" see ourselves as the last line of defense and we start to live up to our responsibility. When someone says they want to address the SNACadets, the rest of us don't say how it's a waste of time. When some obviously young LT posts borderline OPSEC/COMSEC material, among others as that F-16 RTU student did on that other website about his detailed LFE experiences, someone speaks up and the rest of us back him up vs. defending his right to post such material. When somone wants to be fly an F-15, but not be an Eagle driver - we explain to them the importance of mutual support and how it is developed. When we sit on the TRB and the Ops O or CC says that we need to upgrade that guy when we know that he/she has not earned that upgrade by developing their flying skills - we not roll over so easy and we unite with our peers to bring sanity into the upgrade selection process. And when we see that Major who has 11 Q-3's in his FEF (don't worry, I've seen it), we ask the CC who isit that is going to accept the responsibility and consider an FEB vs. sending him to the schoolhouse for his IP upgrade (which he did not pass - of course).

Maybe it's just me, but I wouldn't expect a bunch of kids to show up to my squadron, not provide them with any structure, and expect them be productive and make the most of it!!! And much to the dismay of milplt, I guess these kids just don't want anything to do with the fighter community...sorry for the downer. Granted, it sounds like they're still growing up, but so is the O-6 in my wing that got a DUI last year. Go figure! I had the drive to fly since the day I took a header out of the womb. If they don't have it, all the better...keep them out of the cockpit!!!

The AF always needs good finance officers...just got another voucher kicked back for no apparant reason whatsoever...drag!

frog_flyer said:
i have to call BS on them not wanting to fly......

I can second the story as I observed this personally at Moody within the last few weeks.

The guy I flew in the back of the '38 almost threw up, then told me at the end of the debrief that he no longer wanted to be a pilot because it seemed like "too much work".

Weasel Keeper said:
Wow! Next time you run into a situation where you can't get a volunteer for a backseat ride...ask a Crew Chief! We MIGHT be lucky enough in an entire career to get an incentive ride in one of our beloved machines...I'm still waiting for my chance. :)

Work at an AT-38 base. There are open cockpits every day the go un-filled.

To the uninitiated a fighter squadron could be intimidating. It wasn't till the first roll call at IFF that I understood what it was all about, probably because this wasn't a typical roll call being that it was a reunion for the squadron with a bunch of crusty old vets with a bunch of kick ass stories.

Fate dealt its blows, and I'm not flying the Hawg, but now I feel as though I can bring a little bit of what I learned to my current bretheren. I won't comment on how that is going but I will put it this way, I saw a comment at baseops.net, about knowing your a SNAP if you drink powerade and vodka. The dude I told this joke to responded with "I drank that last night."

ARGHHHHH

Fearless Tower said:
If it makes ya feel any better, we see the same crap in the Navy when midshipmen get sent to us in the summer. The majority of these kids would rather sleep, eat and watch movies in the wardroom. Most of them could care less about actaully learning anything let alone standing a watch....and the sad thing is that most of the ships they go to are too busy to worry about baby sitting so the kids leave at the end of their 'cruise' without learning a dang thing.

The cold war was great...lots of cash to burn and a known enemy.....

Curmudgeon gap

Caveman said:
You guys sound like a bunch of old curmudgeons.

CURMUDGEONS?? Why, this generation of curmudgeons ain't near as cranky as curmudgeons back in my day! Yes, Sir, we had REAL curmudgeons, not like these soft, wimpy curmudgeons you see these days! I tell ya, they were so curmudgeonly they kicked their OWN butts! What's the service comin' to?

AlbieF15 said:
A lot of what you see is likely a failure of AFROTC leadership. How many fighter guys are working in dets right now? How many aquisition officers? The fact is these guys don't know what to expect because I doubt they've had a lot of exposure to this type of stuff. How do you know how to BE a warrior if you don't have any to learn from? The AFROTC cadre is not known for a lot of carnivorous types--it tends to attract the herbivores out of the force. There are exceptions, I know...but honestly--how many squadron commanders or OGs have you met that did a 2-3 year AFROTC stint in their career?

So you have to be a fighter guy to be considered a "warrior" and therefore are the only types that can pass on "real" knowledge?

I beg to differ. I would agree that those officers working in AFROTC should come from an operational background but not everyone wants to be a fighter pilot, attack pilot...or a any type of pilot for that matter. Some just want to be Air Force Officers! I know it is hard to believe for a fighter pilot, but not everyone wants to be a pilot. Some want to be in the Space Command, JAG, Doctors, and even a Chaplain! It does not make them less of an officer. I have known many pilots from all sorts of airframes and many "non-flyers" and I have seen a mix of quality in both. Simply being a pilot does not make one a good officer. In fact, one of the most disgusting displays of arrogance and poor showings as an officer was from an O-6 F-15 (AD) pilot in the desert. The guy was a total tool. He ripped into our CMSGT for driving on a gravel road between tent rows delivering water to all the tents. (He could have had someone else do it but chose to do it himself.) Otherwise, it was a pretty good drive/walk from the main road with all that water. This O-6 was livid that one of his lame ass orders had been violated by no less than a CMSGT! He just kept on going on and on about it. Then turns around, walks 25 paces and gets in his airconditioned car that is parked on the EXACT SAME ROAD that the CMSGT was parked on!!!! And it was driven by some pimple faced kid who witnessed this turds explosion. Nice display of professionalism and courtesy towards a senior NCO. This was in front of about 20 plus people, officers and enlisted alike. We were dumbfounded. He was the Wing commander of a base that had a handful of F-15's and over 40 C-130's. Thank God they left right after the war started and went home so we could get back to business of flying and making life somewhat bearible in that $hithole.

As far as putting a "warrior" in the position, how about some ALO, PJ or Special Tactics dude? Those guys are warriors if we are putting labels on people based on what they did. How about putting just a GREAT officer in these positions? These kids are learning to be officers (not pilots) and don't need to continously hear the "there I was" stories. They need to be taught leadership, repsect for others (to include the enlisted force which is lacking in some), honor, tradition, the USAF mission and about its future as a force.

Last edited:
Weasel Keeper said:
Wow! Next time you run into a situation where you can't get a volunteer for a backseat ride...ask a Crew Chief! We MIGHT be lucky enough in an entire career to get an incentive ride in one of our beloved machines...I'm still waiting for my chance. :)

You just get inline behind Tom Cruise and some NASCAR driver and a million other folks that are "deserving" of a ride. You keep your ass on the ramp and fix the damn things!

...I agree with you 100%

JungleJett said:
So you have to be a fighter guy to be considered a "warrior" and therefore are the only types that can pass on "real" knowledge?

I beg to differ. I would agree that those officers working in AFROTC should come from an operational background but not everyone wants to be a fighter pilot, attack pilot...or a any type of pilot for that matter. Some just want to be Air Force Officers! I know it is hard to believe for a fighter pilot, but not everyone wants to be a pilot. Some want to be in the Space Command, JAG, Doctors, and even a Chaplain! It does not make them less of an officer. I have known many pilots from all sorts of airframes and many "non-flyers" and I have seen a mix of quality in both. Simply being a pilot does not make one a good officer. In fact, one of the most disgusting displays of arrogance and poor showings as an officer was from an O-6 F-15 (AD) pilot in the desert. The guy was a total tool. He ripped into our CMSGT for driving on a gravel road between tent rows delivering water to all the tents. (He could have had someone else do it but chose to do it himself.) Otherwise, it was a pretty good drive/walk from the main road with all that water. This O-6 was livid that one of his lame ass orders had been violated by no less than a CMSGT! He just kept on going on and on about it. Then turns around, walks 25 paces and gets in his airconditioned car that is parked on the EXACT SAME ROAD that the CMSGT was parked on!!!! And it was driven by some pimple faced kid who witnessed this turds explosion. Nice display of professionalism and courtesy towards a senior NCO. This was in front of about 20 plus people, officers and enlisted alike. We were dumbfounded. He was the Wing commander of a base that had a handful of F-15's and over 40 C-130's. Thank God they left right after the war started and went home so we could get back to business of flying and making life somewhat bearible in that $hithole.

As far as putting a "warrior" in the position, how about some ALO, PJ or Special Tactics dude? Those guys are warriors if we are putting labels on people based on what they did. How about putting just a GREAT officer in these positions? These kids are learning to be officers (not pilots) and don't need to continously hear the "there I was" stories. They need to be taught leadership, repsect for others (to include the enlisted force which is lacking in some), honor, tradition, the USAF mission and about its future as a force.

Relax, he didn't say you had to be a fighter guy to be a warrior. There are several different "front-line" occupations in the AF, some of which you mentioned in your post. The point was that you don't always get the warrior perspective from learning and watching certain types of officers (like finance, medical, JAG, etc) during your stint as a cadet or OCS candidate. We need more of these "front-line" occupations such as pilots, navigators, special tactics, security forces, wrench-benders, etc to mentor these young guys while they are developing into young officers and officer candidates. And yes, Jungle, that includes being mentored by top-notch enlisted folks - preferably from aviation, security, or maintenance career fields. I've seen E-4 and 5 loadmaster and FEs who outshine E-7's and E-8's who spent their entire careers sitting at a desk and leading from the rear. Nothing pisses me off more than being lectured overseas by a SMSgt or CMSgt who happens to be "in-charge" but never left an air-conditioned office in their entire career. As for the a**hole WG/CC, well, a**holes aren't limited to the fighter community. This guy just happened to be an a**hole who flew F-15s. I've seen some who happened to fly -130s. Don't let it get you down. I could tell you stories from the current leadership at Hurlburt that would make you throw up.

Latest resources

Back