• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

New FAA rules....tidbits

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Schedules we be less efficient and we will spend more time away from home....and then b!tch about how much time we have to spend away from home....
The senior pilots may be able to fly 10+ hour domestic turns during the day without an IRO under the new rules because the new rules are duty-day driven more than flight-hour driven. If your duty day is less than 13 1/4 hours with a start time between 0800 and 1259, you may be good to go. You could get your entire month's flying done in 7 or 8 days and not spend a night out of the country or out of your own bed (ok maybe not such a great idea). Get up, ATL-SEA-ATL, go home. Not bad--for those at the top.

But there will certainly be some very ugly trips built because of this section:
17.2 The minimum rest period which must be provided before undertaking a flying duty period shall be:
a) at least as long as the preceding duty period, or
b) 12 hours,
whichever is the greater.
The room allocated to the crew member must be available for
occupation for a minimum of 10 hours.

The bottom schedules at the regionals are already 12 days off....they won't change....It will be the 18 day off schedules at the top that will be killed off by these changes....The 3 day trips will be replaced with 4 day trips....

Sounds like not much would change at ASA!

True except that at least at SWA , the commuters are protected under a commuter policy and if there home is now at base they do not get that. Also at least at SWA ,we have gate agents that call and squeal on F/As and pilots that where trying to get on the jumpseat and did not get on ( knowing they might call in sick) JMO

wear did you lern how to spel?

i do hope that someone does give us a voice against unintended consequences.

Personally, i'd rather have much simpler rest rules. The 30/34-7 rules could go away and it would increase the rest i get. And for domestic rules- as long as we could get some value for it- i'd rather fly as much as possible during a restricted duty day. 8 hours of jets on time doesn't make me tired- >12 hour duty days and reversing sleep schedules makes me tired.

Do you guys think that with these new changes, we might end up with less days off a month, or simply inefficient schedules ? That might make it worse for commuters.
Don't get me wrong I am still for safety first. Just looking at the side effects on our lives.

Here's from somebody who worked contract for the UK's biggest regional airline (BALPA carrier etc.). The regular line pilots enjoyed minimum overnights, 8-10 off/month, and about 75 hours/month. You had a bit of luxury like warm crew food, but that wore off quite quickly ...

If you have pilot friends over in Euroland, ask 'em about crew rest, days off, block hours/month. I think you'll be surprised.

More crewrest will come at a price IMHO.

But don't forget

Here's from somebody who worked contract for the UK's biggest regional airline (BALPA carrier etc.). The regular line pilots enjoyed minimum overnights, 8-10 off/month, and about 75 hours/month. You had a bit of luxury like warm crew food, but that wore off quite quickly ...

If you have pilot friends over in Euroland, ask 'em about crew rest, days off, block hours/month. I think you'll be surprised.

More crewrest will come at a price IMHO.
Almost all airports in Europe have no operations bewteen 2200L and 0700L

The CEO has little control over the airline, the airline is run by regulation and union contracts.

YIP- why don't you make a huge contribution to aviation . . . . and retire? If you really believe what you have written, then it's pretty obvious that the synapses in one hemisphere of your brain just aren't firing anymore.

A contract is not a union contract, it's a contract between two parties, and pilot wages have shrunk at most carriers to a mere pittance, yet management pay has tripled, quadrupled, and in some cases, even more, with no metric tying it to performance.

Latest resources

Back