• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

New FAA rules....tidbits

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Not going to happen. All this will be looked at, then the ATA will lobby. They will say that these rule changes will cause airlines to go bankrupt. There is NO WAY they could hire and train enough pilots to comply in two years, much less 180 days.

Or god forbid, recall furloughed pilots! Bring them all back, and then some.

I think the -121 supplemental operators MAY be able to get themselves exempted. I hope not!!!

My first thought upon reading the list was to wonder how all the majors would finagle the system to operate under supplemental rules.

Some operations, particularly overnight freight with long hub sort hours, would need some relief from those rules as presented. We'd also very likely see an end to reasonable hotels that are 15-30 minutes away and start being stuck in the amenity-less dumps just off the airport property.

Or god forbid, recall furloughed pilots! Bring them all back, and then some.

If these rule changes happen, there is going to be a LOT of recalls and a mini-hiring boom. Example, a buddy of mine at CAL called crew planning, worried about the possible upcoming furlough, and they are already looking at this. The news he heard was that if this rule change happens, not only will there be no furlough, and not only will they have to recall all 147 furloughs immediately, but they will have to hire about an additional 300.

This change will be GREAT for the pilots.....it'll provide some light in the darkness, and possibly create some new jobs. If it happens EVERYBODY will be recalling and/or hiring. Regionals, Majors, EVERYBODY. I'm hoping it happens for that reason. Let's get some guys back and get some more jobs out there!!

If these rule changes happen, there is going to be a LOT of recalls and a mini-hiring boom. Example, a buddy of mine at CAL called crew planning, worried about the possible upcoming furlough, and they are already looking at this. The news he heard was that if this rule change happens, not only will there be no furlough, and not only will they have to recall all 147 furloughs immediately, but they will have to hire about an additional 300.

This change will be GREAT for the pilots.....it'll provide some light in the darkness, and possibly create some new jobs. If it happens EVERYBODY will be recalling and/or hiring. Regionals, Majors, EVERYBODY. I'm hoping it happens for that reason. Let's get some guys back and get some more jobs out there!!

I agree completely. However the other side of the coin is that there is always the possibility of a financially shaky carrier not being able to absorb the cost of employing more crew members and going completely T.U.

Nevertheless I welcome the change. Lets hope its for real.

I agree completely. However the other side of the coin is that there is always the possibility of a financially shaky carrier not being able to absorb the cost of employing more crew members and going completely T.U.

Nevertheless I welcome the change. Lets hope its for real.

There is no doubt that this would put some financial burden on carriers. The good thing is that it would effect ALL carriers. With no competitive advantage all airlines will have to pass this on to the customer.

And yes! SWA will be impacted too, and maybe a little more than others. These rules may become more restrictive as to the number of legs in a duty period. So maybe even some hiring there!!!

Yogi

The carrier I work for has a plan in place to eliminate service, shrink service, and to contract out service to international carriers.

Example, a buddy of mine at CAL called crew planning, worried about the possible upcoming furlough, and they are already looking at this. The news he heard was that if this rule change happens, not only will there be no furlough, and not only will they have to recall all 147 furloughs immediately, but they will have to hire about an additional 300.

Please be very, very certain of the credibility of your source. Latest from "official" channels (i.e. CALALPA, crew planning, CAL mgt., etc.) is furloughs WILL happen in the Fall. CAL mgt. postures that these new rule changes are "staffing neutral".

Don't shoot the messenger; just passing along what I heard.

CAL mgt. postures that these new rule changes are "staffing neutral".

Exactly. they'll just get more Captains to fly in the right seat and put out the VJM memos for everyone else. The open time WILL get covered by the company saviors... JUNIOR and senior alike.

Sincerely,

B. Franklin

FAA vs Company

Commutting was my first question to him. He flatly said it was discussed but they know there is absolutely no way to control or monitor it. He said no rules on commuting.
Just because the FAA doesn't make rules on commuting doesn' mean the company won't make it's own rules.

My first thought upon reading the list was to wonder how all the majors would finagle the system to operate under supplemental rules.

Some operations, particularly overnight freight with long hub sort hours, would need some relief from those rules as presented. We'd also very likely see an end to reasonable hotels that are 15-30 minutes away and start being stuck in the amenity-less dumps just off the airport property.

We operate under both domestic an flag rules. Our current contract limits us to just 11 hours max scheduled duty. Our contract also prohibits our company from putting us in amenity-less dump hotels. Your concerns might apply to your operation and other supplemental 121 cargo haulers, but not ours.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back