• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

New FAA rules....tidbits

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
If the ATA fails to kill this through lobbying, does anyone forsee them lobbying for a government bailout similar to the auto industry? The government changing the rules and increasing costs on an already financially strapped industry is a pretty good argument IMHO.

Hey Brownonmybone...............why is it you never post on cargo board? For some supposed big shot UPS driver, you have nothing to say there? Your just a big poser, just like instructordoosh, pokemyhole, and the long list of other board trolls.

There is no doubt that this would put some financial burden on carriers. The good thing is that it would effect ALL carriers. With no competitive advantage all airlines will have to pass this on to the customer.

And yes! SWA will be impacted too, and maybe a little more than others. These rules may become more restrictive as to the number of legs in a duty period. So maybe even some hiring there!!!

Yogi

This hits the nail on the head. Ticket prices will HAVE to go up, because EVERYBODY will be affected. There will be no competitive advantage when this happens.

I see recalls happening and maybe even some hiring......it's simple math, you HAVE to have additional people because EVERYTHING on the schedules are going to change. No more standup overnights. No more reduced rest. No more 14-16 hour days. No more 9 hour rest periods. No more additional flying after redeyes. No more 4 to 5 hour airport appreciation sits. On the bright side, it will force the airlines to get off their asses and schedule more efficiently and effectively.

As far as CAL goes, God only knows. Hell, 6 months ago everyone was saying all recalls back in the fall with possible hiring. $hit....they even sent out letters to people in the 'hiring pool'. Now they're talking more furloughs. Management saying that these rule changes are 'staffing neutral' is complete bull$hit......I don't buy it for a second. Simple, 5th grade math. At the very least, the furloughs will be coming back if this happens....I'd bet my left nut on it.

If this goes as far as public lobbying or hearings, we need to organise a demonstration of pilots in uniform holding coffee cups and wearing sleep masks!

Please be very, very certain of the credibility of your source. Latest from "official" channels (i.e. CALALPA, crew planning, CAL mgt., etc.) is furloughs WILL happen in the Fall. CAL mgt. postures that these new rule changes are "staffing neutral".

Don't shoot the messenger; just passing along what I heard.

Well, right now, that is the plan. When my friend talked to crew planning, they said they were expecting about 200 to 250 furloughs effective in September, but that was assuming that this rule change doesn't happen. Simple 5th grade math says that CAL mgt. is COMPLETELY full of $hit saying that these possible rule changes are 'staffing neutral'. Remember, ya'll are negotiating for a contract, and mgt. wants everything to look as bad as humanly possible so they can push a piece of $hit contract on you. They can't come out and say that there might be recalls and possible hiring, because then they couldn't use the threat of furloughs to possibly get concessions from you. Doom and gloom is all they've got. If CAL started making a nice profit they wouldn't be able to go to negotiations and give you a sob story about how horrible everything is right now and they need you to accept minimum wage and no work rules so the company might survive.

Realistically, one thing I've learned in my meager 31 years on this earth is that the truth is usually somewhere in the middle. Take about half the doom and gloom the company is spewing and that's probably more along the lines of what it really is.

This may have a chance of passing because Democrats have the majority in Congress/Senate. Hate to say it boys. I know pilots by nature are republicans.

I have never seen a republican stand up to big business and corporations to help out the little guy and do whats right.

We operate under both domestic an flag rules. Our current contract limits us to just 11 hours max scheduled duty. Our contract also prohibits our company from putting us in amenity-less dump hotels. Your concerns might apply to your operation and other supplemental 121 cargo haulers, but not ours.

I guess when I'm down at the bar scoping out fat bar chicks and the dudes in the lobby waiting on the van to go fly the night shift in Brown uni's must have borrowed your threads.

Glad things are so awesome there. My neighbor who got displaced from SDF to Anchorage says it's great.

Actually I don't think this will impact the SWA pilots very much. Our duty day is already limited to 13 hours scheduled so no big changes. Where we will take a hit is they will need more reserves. The biggest hit to SWA will be our FA's who like to fly as much as possible in a 6 day period. Also their duty day will be very limited compared to what they do now. It's going to happen.....the powers in Congress have told the FAA to fix it.

Will not create jobs

This change will be GREAT for the pilots.....it'll provide some light in the darkness, and possibly create some new jobs. If it happens EVERYBODY will be recalling and/or hiring. Regionals, Majors, EVERYBODY. I'm hoping it happens for that reason. Let's get some guys back and get some more jobs out there!!

Most likely if it adds to the present pilot list to do the same amount of flying, then that will raise the cost of tickets, which will reduce the number tickets purchased, which will result in fewer flight and fewer Captain and fewer yet F/O's. Like anything that adds cost to an airline, he reduces seats sold. Like many things it will be good for a few and not so good for many more. Or the other side is the same amount of pilots doing less flying, more timer in hotels on road and getting fewer hours per month. Adam Smith figured it out about 240 years ago.

Latest resources

Back