• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

New Emirates order....

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You keep referring to BOS-BHX and a couple of other UK-US destinations presumably based on an interview given by an EK exec a couple of months ago.

I'm speculating that was a 'lead to nowhere' comment as EK is pretty canny when it comes to route launches.

Watch out for CDG-LAX on an A380 at some point in the future.

Until then it's fill the suites with Italian businessmen.

fv

So what is to stop Emirites from having a US base?
They'd have to hire US flight attendants. I don't think anyone wants that.

KAL and NCA and Cathay and two Chinese airlines have US pilot bases, and I don't think any of them have US cabin crew.

There is no reason a US citizen would fly through DXB or AUH to go to Europe or Asia.

I just flew threw DOH/DXB and DOH to get to and from Jakarta.

I wanted to fly DAL or Skyteam...DAL's website said they did not have any flights (despite serving GRB and Skyteam partners serving CGK. Garuda Indonesia's (Skyteam) website said they did not serve GRB. Air France's site said they didn't serve GRB. KLM's website said they served GRB, but their prices were very high.

My next choice was UAL/Star Alliance. The UAL website showed that routing, but the prices were high.

I was booked on Qatar out of Chicago. After the very short leg to ORD it was only 2 legs to get to Jakarta, and the price on QR was the lowest of all the itineraries I looked at, with also the fastest trip/most convenient itinerary.

Every time I am now looking at itineraries to Africa, Asia or Australia, I am always checking QR, EY and EK (Qatar, Etihad and Emirates) as they often have the best combination of price, short travel time and easy connections.

We already have access to the World, and negotiate directly with other countries, not via Gulf Carriers. I would bet that countries like Japan and China don't really want your A380 flying NRT to LAX or PVG to LAX, primarily because it could hurt their own national airlines. Not every country wants you to move in on their own airlines' turf. The 3 big Gulf carriers are going to get so many new planes (wouldn't that involve crushing debt for MOST airlines?), of course they are looking for places to put them.

Bye Bye---General Lee

The UAE may not have as expansive rights with the same number of countries but they have a good amount.

I don't think Japan and China think any differently of an Emirates 380 coming in than they do a Delta 747. Both are foreign carriers flying in their country.

I am not denying problems but I didn't make the initial unsupported statement either. Bill said he thought that they just treated their women like cattle over here...so I asked how.

I bolded a portion of your text above. What has the US been forced to come do in the UAE and how does that have anything to do with the UAE and Emirates? It was the choice of the US to go into Iraq and Afghanistan. The UAE supported the war on terror and allowed the US to operate in and out of here. Do you think that decision helped or hurt what other countries in the "region" think of the UAE and did it possibly put a terror target on its' back?

Your last comment regarding US airlines flourishing is understandable. However, if you want unrestricted access to the world you have to offer unrestricted access to the world. I think a free trade and a free enterprise society is much more beneficial and lucrative to everyone involved than a protectionist society is. It forces competition and forces companies to strive for their "A" game if they want to remain viable.

That wasn't my quote......

I don't think Japan and China think any differently of an Emirates 380 coming in than they do a Delta 747. Both are foreign carriers flying in their country.

Lets not ignore the important contributions NWA (absorbed into DAL) made to Japan. They helped start Japan Airlines. In fact there would not be a Japan Airlines without NWA. NWA did similar important flying for China. Emirates isn't going to make that sort of contribution, they have one goal: dominate and take everything. ICAO and "freedoms of the air" came to exist after WW2 because it was feared that US airlines would dominate world air transportation. US airlines were stopped then, why should Emirates, Ethiad, and Qatar not have their growth plans checked just as ours were?

Last edited:
Are we discussing Dubai or next door? I've never defended the "region"....I just correct statements that are incorrect or skewed.

Last time I checked, most women in Dubai dressed themselves and didn't have someone dress them. There are no laws stating that the Abaya has to be worn here and there are plenty of women who don't wear it. Some do CHOOSE to wear it.

I asked a simple question.....for you to back up your statement with facts. So far, you have only come up with "covering the women up from head to toe when its 50C". Care to add anymore? The rest of the accusations were for other countries. Because Mexico is in the same region as the US, should I make blanket statements regarding problems there when speaking specifically of the US?

Trying to personally insult someones level of awareness and intelligence to take away from your inability to answer questions and back up statements that you made is a cheap shot. You tend to do that a lot.

Oh really,

Thanks for the PC lesson. I answered all your questions. You are trying to defend that side of the world on FI. Have at it. Use all your Dnata provided talking points.

Cheap shot? Hardly....it's the truth you can't handle.

The UAE may not have as expansive rights with the same number of countries but they have a good amount.

Yeah, they don't mind you flying from their country to YOUR new country. But, your grandiose plans of flying A380s from Haneda to LAX, ummmmmm yeah, they and JAL/ANA may have a problem with that. Same with China. Not many countries want to affect their own people who work for their national carriers. Italy allowed you to fly from MXP to JFK because, well, they are Italy and they are having problems now themselves, and Alitalia too has been a thorn in their Govt's side. Italy was trying to sell off the rest of it to AF/KL, and allowing EK to move in might be a "hint" to get things moving. Most Govts are more like Canada, France, and Germany, which are more protective of their national employment numbers.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Lets not ignore the important contributions NWA (absorbed into DAL) made to Japan. They helped start Japan Airlines. In fact there would not be a Japan Airlines without NWA. NWA did similar important flying for China. Emirates isn't going to make that sort of contribution, they have one goal: dominate and take everything. ICAO and "freedoms of the air" came to exist after WW2 because it was feared that US airlines would dominate world air transportation. US airlines were stopped then, why should Emirates, Ethiad, and Qatar not have their growth plans checked just as ours were?

Good question...ask AA management about that...they are the ones who have opened up the US to Qatar. That was the decision of the mgt of what will be the largest Airline in the world.

AA want this and the others will see in time what they are missing.

AC, DL & UA will come into the fold...AA did, QF did, BA did, AF did, JAL did, SAA did....heck even LH mgt came out and said they would no longer rule it out.

fv

Yeah, they don't mind you flying from their country to YOUR new country. But, your grandiose plans of flying A380s from Haneda to LAX, ummmmmm yeah, they and JAL/ANA may have a problem with that. Same with China. Not many countries want to affect their own people who work for their national carriers. Italy allowed you to fly from MXP to JFK because, well, they are Italy and they are having problems now themselves, and Alitalia too has been a thorn in their Govt's side. Italy was trying to sell off the rest of it to AF/KL, and allowing EK to move in might be a "hint" to get things moving. Most Govts are more like Canada, France, and Germany, which are more protective of their national employment numbers.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Nope...most governments understand that open (or more open) skies in the long run is good for the consumer & jobs.

Look at what it has done for American jobs with Boeing, the US's largest exporter (EK are their largest 777 customer). The inertia has always been towards the direction of freer markets...

You couldn't stop RJs (in fact your mgt orgied on them) and you couldn't stop LCCs, customers love them.

And you you won't stop the Gulf 3...AA, AF, QF & BA have just shown you that.

The ball is rolling...you won't stop it.

You guys sound like the bank tellers when ATMs hit the street - kicking and screaming until no one cared, because the product is what the market wanted.

fv

Last edited:
Just out over the news wires regarding Boeing talks with Machinists unions to keep T7 jobs in Seattle...

...they are in advanced negotiations with four customers for....wait for it...

$87bn in orders are DXB air show .

Great for American jobs.

fv

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back