• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

NEW Colgan Memo... YGBFSM!!! WTF!!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Geez, all I am saying is when you move on from your regional job and you happen to get on with a non sked 18 hour duty days are a simple fact of life.

Agreed. I didn't know what fatigue was until I left the regionals for ACMI. But since it's only boxes nobody cares.

Maybe they shouldn't be a fact of life no matter what type of operation you're flying. I know some military missions have lasted much longer, though.

One of the reasons why ALPA supports H.R. 915. It has this language in it thanks to ALPA:

SEC. 816. DUTY PERIODS AND FLIGHT TIME LIMITATIONS APPLICABLE TO FLIGHT CREWMEMBERS.

Not later than 180 days after the date of enactment of this Act, the Administrator of the Federal Aviation Administration shall initiate a rulemaking proceeding for the following purposes:

(1) To require a flight crewmember who is employed by an air carrier conducting operations under part 121 of title 14, Code of Federal Regulations, and who accepts an additional assignment for flying under part 91 of such title from the air carrier or from any other air carrier conducting operations under part 121 or 135 of such title, to apply the period of the additional assignment (regardless of whether the assignment is performed by the flight crewmember before or after an assignment to fly under part 121 of such title) toward any limitation applicable to the flight crewmember relating to duty periods or flight times under part 121 of such title.

(2) To require a flight crewmember who is employed by an air carrier conducting operations under part 135 of title 14, Code of Federal Regulations, and who accepts an additional assignment for flying under part 91 of such title from the air carrier or any other air carrier conducting operations under part 121 or 135 of such title, to apply the period of the additional assignment (regardless of whether the assignment is performed by the flight crewmember before or after an assignment to fly under part 135 of such title) toward any limitation applicable to the flight crewmember relating to duty periods or flight times under part 135 of such title.

Call your Senator and tell them to insert this language into S.1451.

Last edited:
I can't believe this is legal. I really dislike hearing Colgan fly over my house knowing that they are pushing hour 18.

RARE, I must say. Been a while since I worked near 16 hours. FYI, this is only myself, not sure about other crewmembers. On a sidenote, CJC and our STUPID FSDO have hemmed and hawed in the past 9 months about duty and flight time regs., and their interpretation. That's a whole other thread. HOWEVER, if anyone is getting near 15-16 hours duty, nowadays, CALL FATIGUE!! That's what I'll be doing. As they said in the hearing "non-punitive fatigue policy."

May favorite part: It states on the Dispatch Release something to the effect of "I certify myself physically fit to conduct this flight." That's what I'll stand behind!!!

I have done it once. I have exceeded 16 hours 2 other times. All three times were completely avoidable if SOC ran a tighter ship.

I will NEVER do this again.

What if it is your last leg of your trip and you are going home vs. paying for a hotel out of your own pocket?

I don't think you are getting the picture. This is a safety issue, not a convenience issue.

On demand and 135 guys have been doing this for DECADES, and they haven't been falling out of the skies like regionals have been lately. I can see it now, the regional pilots are going to use the "fatigue card" to try and screw their airlines operations up and therefore, screw the very people that support their livelihood.

Latest resources

Back