New airline pilots on the radio

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
How to sound like a new pilot:

1. Say lots of totally unecessary words on the radio like "...checkin' in with you..."

2. Tell departure control at airports like LAX and ATL that you are "..airborne.."

3. Say "....here we go" after acknowledging an ATC clearance.

4. Say " ....no problem" after acknowedging a simple heading assignment from ATC. Optional is "no worries".

5. Always ask ATC "whaddaya need?" after giving your requested Mach# or airspeed to him.....as if ATC wasn't going to tell you unless you asked.

6. ALWAYS inform ATC that you are "with them" because they wouldn't know unless you tell them.

7. Make a busy congested frequency even more congested by pausing after reading back the new frequency and then add some useless crap like "have a good day" resulting in a blocked transmission and making the controllers day less nice. Just read back the frequency and call sign and be done with it. No one needs to be told to "have a good day". What a stupid habit.

8. UAL needs to get their pilots a professional sounding microphone on their headsets. They all sound they're flying some Cessna with a loud prop and a bunch of background air noise.

who cares. you sound like you're on a middle school rant.

some of those things are just lightening up the mood and treating atc like they are a human being, not a computer.

When I was 121 I thought asking local traffic to please advise was silly, now that am 135 I know better. Whats the problem with saying "local traffic please advise" anyways? I always ask, half the time we are flying to a uncontrolled field there is a single Saturday afternoon warrior who is doing pattern work at 75 knots but never bothers to make a position report. Once they are prompted they will usually chime in on CTAF. If they are there then I will start slowing down so as to not overrun them in my slowtation. There is nothing wrong with inquiring who is in the pattern.

What about the pretend deep voice? I sat next to a guy who was about 5'4" that would pretend he was 7 foot tall with his radio voice.

There is nothing wrong with inquiring who is in the pattern.

Yes there is. It's unnecessary chatter on an already busy frequency. Further, the FAA specifically states not to make this call.

From the AIM, 4-1-9(g)(1):

Self-announce is a procedure whereby pilots broadcast their position or intended flight activity or ground operation on the designated CTAF. This procedure is used primarily at airports which do not have an FSS on the airport. The self-announce procedure should also be used if a pilot is unable to communicate with the FSS on the designated CTAF. Pilots stating, "Traffic in the area, please advise" is not a recognized Self-Announce Position and/or Intention phrase and should not be used under any condition.

OOH snap. I sat right seat with a Fed doing some currency landings and he ranted about the "please advise" call when he heard it. I try not to get too cranky when flying a prop on a summer day on the government's dime, but that's just me.

If the ONLY radio call that is broadcast is "XYZ traffic, Lear 123, any traffic in the pattern please advise" then yes, I could see where AIM 4-1-9 (g)(1) applies, BUT, if the radio call is "XYZ traffic, Lear 123 10 miles north, inbound for left traffic, runway 36, any traffic in the area please advise" then the phrase is completely acceptable and increases the situational awarenes for everybody.

If the ONLY radio call that is broadcast is "XYZ traffic, Lear 123, any traffic in the pattern please advise" then yes, I could see where AIM 4-1-9 (g)(1) applies, BUT, if the radio call is "XYZ traffic, Lear 123 10 miles north, inbound for left traffic, runway 36, any traffic in the area please advise" then the phrase is completely acceptable and increases the situational awarenes for everybody.

I don't agree with you there. The AIM clearly says that phrase should not be used under any condition. The problem arises when you have 3 or 4 planes in the pattern and somebody new on the frequency says, "any traffic in the area please advise". Then you have people stepping all over each other responding to your call and you still don't know where everybody is because half the transmissions were blocked. A better technique is to monitor the CTAF on your second comm from further out before being told to switch over by ATC. Sure the AIM says 10 miles out you should monitor/communicate, but that is a minimum distance. In a fast moving aircraft I would want more of a mental picture of what is going on in the pattern.

Latest resources

Back