• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

New airline pilots on the radio

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Navy or Air Force? I'd recommend going around at that point and giving the PM a solid briefing about how you'll counteract that wicked crosswind.

Why go around at that point? Just get the wind check to make sure you have the correct wind additive in? Ever flown into Narita landing on the 16s or any other airport on a bluff? 40 knots at 1500' is common. Nothing wrong with verifying the wind is still the same on the ground as advertised on the ATIS 30 minutes ago.
So you see no point or no good in asking for it?

Last edited:
And why do pilots ask to deviate "for weather"? What other reason could there be?

Heading south near Sea Isle, no wind and a opposite direction 747-400/A380 on perfect reciprocal 1000' above and loaded for a 8-9 hour flight.

Just caught the big 4 engine glimpse passing above, requested an immediate turn.

We were also on standby for higher, think the guy forgot about the heavy.

Actual conversation:

Military guy: "Mayday mayday mayday, XXXX 21 emergency descent 10 east of DENNS".

United or Alaska (only others out there): "GUARD."

I will assume the offender was far enough away to just hear the tin-can sound of the guy talking on the mask mic. Moral: if you are going to rip someone for talking on "GUARD", at least make sure you actually understand what the hell they just said.

"traffic in the area please advise" {meaning ... I am an airline pilot I am too important to have listened prior to opening my mouth}

"How are you doing? ".

Look, we already suspected you were a regional pilot, there's no need to confirm it EVERY SINGLE TIME you check in.

"traffic in the area please advise" {meaning ... I am an airline pilot I am too important to have listened prior to opening my mouth}

It could actually mean that you just got on CTAF frequency so may not have heard the previous position reports. Or it could mean that maybe there is traffic in the area that didn't feel it necessary or prudent to report there position because they for some reason thought they were the only ones in the area. Or simply this is how they were taught coming up. Look, these words don't cost money. They're free. And in this case radio operations on CTAF into a non-towered airport is not bogging down a CTAF frequency.

Latest resources

Back