New airline pilots on the radio

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
- I ALWAYS say "with you".

- I NEVER remember what the ATIS is so I omit it from the transmission knowing that ATC will ask if I have it and then I just say "yup". That's what I call utilizing my Tax Dollars... having a Civil Servant do that part of my job for me.

- When flying in Europe I always forget that 6000 feet is actually FL60. I'm an American and we won those World Wars so, I don't have to remember their radio phraseology. They're just lucky they ain't all speaking German.

- I've been doing this airline krap for damn near 30 years. At this point I could care less how I sound on the radio.

- Well, maybe I lied a bit in the last statement. Normally I speak in a whiny biatch voice but, I always lower it to a smooth radio-broadcaster baritone for ATC comms.

:)

YKW

I agree with everything you said except it's "I couldn't care less," but I know you could't care less about what I am saying now.

How to sound like a new pilot:

1. Say lots of totally unecessary words on the radio like "...checkin' in with you..."

2. Tell departure control at airports like LAX and ATL that you are "..airborne.."

3. Say "....here we go" after acknowledging an ATC clearance.

4. Say " ....no problem" after acknowedging a simple heading assignment from ATC. Optional is "no worries".

5. Always ask ATC "whaddaya need?" after giving your requested Mach# or airspeed to him.....as if ATC wasn't going to tell you unless you asked.

6. ALWAYS inform ATC that you are "with them" because they wouldn't know unless you tell them.

7. Make a busy congested frequency even more congested by pausing after reading back the new frequency and then add some useless crap like "have a good day" resulting in a blocked transmission and making the controllers day less nice. Just read back the frequency and call sign and be done with it. No one needs to be told to "have a good day". What a stupid habit.

8. UAL needs to get their pilots a professional sounding microphone on their headsets. They all sound they're flying some Cessna with a loud prop and a bunch of background air noise.

Jesus get a life.

My #1 pet peeve is pilots that have pet peeves.

Oh, and the second, third, and umm, often fourth guy to holler "GUARD!"

I'd love to be flying with one of these guys if they made that mistake. I think I'd loudly declare "guard" right across the pedestal.

What's wrong with asking for a wind check? When the ATIS says damn near calm and you're showing a direct cross of 40 knots at 1500 feet? Your target can be as much as 15 knots off.

If you weren't wearing cowboy boots you wouldn't worry about wussy winds.

The pilots who care about someone else's radio calls, or zero/OH, or "checking in" are the ones who got beat up in high school or give pilots a bad name...

Some days I make proper sounding radio calls, some days probably not.. Go Fvck yourself if ya catch me on a lazy day..

A-B as easily as possible.. Up, cruise and down.. Pretty easy 99.999% of the time. 10k+ hours, no violations or even an ASAP... Don't make things complicated or worry about some random guy on a radio and you'll be ok

If you've gone 10,000 hours without an ASAP you're not filling out ASAPs when you probably should be. There's no shame in making an honest mistake.

What's wrong with asking for a wind check? When the ATIS says damn near calm and you're showing a direct cross of 40 knots at 1500 feet? Your target can be as much as 15 knots off.

Navy or Air Force? I'd recommend going around at that point and giving the PM a solid briefing about how you'll counteract that wicked crosswind.

Latest resources

Back