• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

New airline pilots on the radio

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Traffic in the area...also ignores the fact that if you're at one of those airports you don't need a radio, or even an electrical system.

Uncontrolled field UNICOM:

--"Cessna N1234X on right downwind Rwy 24"
--"Cessna N1234X on right base Rwy 24"
--"Cessna N1234X on final rwy 24"

The above is the way it goes more often than not.
My question: are you a C-150, a C-750 (fastest business jet around), or somewhere in between???!
These eager beavers that seem to always want to get their tail #s in...why?! If I'm close enough to read your #s, we've got a real problem. How about..just spitballing here.. say your TYPE??! That is the most important info. (extra credit-- if you do that and skip your damn call-sign, which is completely useless info that only needlessly clogs up the frequency.. if you f*ck up and land on a closed rwy/closed airport/after curfew-- at least you didn't permanently incriminate yourself for all feds to hear).

'Cessna' would be good enough for me, eyes will tell me if it's a fast mover or a SE Cessna. At least if they use their full call sign you're receiving traffic info!

There are pros and cons either way. I like hearing the call sign, that way I know HOW MANY Cessnas are in the pattern. And pardon my ignorance, but when it comes to Cessnas, don't they all have one speed in the pattern? LOL!

Uncontrolled field UNICOM:

--"Cessna N1234X on right downwind Rwy 24"
--"Cessna N1234X on right base Rwy 24"
--"Cessna N1234X on final rwy 24"

The above is the way it goes more often than not.
My question: are you a C-150, a C-750 (fastest business jet around), or somewhere in between???!
These eager beavers that seem to always want to get their tail #s in...why?! If I'm close enough to read your #s, we've got a real problem. How about..just spitballing here.. say your TYPE??! That is the most important info. (extra credit-- if you do that and skip your damn call-sign, which is completely useless info that only needlessly clogs up the frequency.. if you f*ck up and land on a closed rwy/closed airport/after curfew-- at least you didn't permanently incriminate yourself for all feds to hear).

I also hate that pilots don't include the aircraft's serial number when making traffic calls.

Another goodie:
If by the FAF approach hasn't switched you to tower, just go ahead and switch. No need to ask when you're just a coupla miles from the runway.

After waiting in line for 5 to 10 minutes.
Me - "Brickyard 4320 Runway 28R @ MM line up and wait."
Them- "Um tower, brickyard 4320 we arent ready, we've got to start our other engine"

......What exactly did you think was going to happen when you were number 1 at the runway?

After waiting in line for 5 to 10 minutes.
Me - "Brickyard 4320 Runway 28R @ MM line up and wait."
Them- "Um tower, brickyard 4320 we arent ready, we've got to start our other engine"

......What exactly did you think was going to happen when you were number 1 at the runway?

I hate to say it, but they were probably task saturated monitoring guard!

Latest resources

Back