• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

New 1500 hour rule first affected

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I'd rather pay to work at Southwest over Delta any day. Go ahead and keep dreaming that Delto is such a fabulous place to work, even the usual dorks on this site can't make it appealing.

Yeah, actual OPTIONS when it comes to type of flying, types of aircraft, and not having to do 25 min turns and multiple leg days forever in one type plane. Throw in frosty receptions from your future brothers and sisters that were treated poorly, and that sounds like a blast Canyonblue! Enjoy 5 legs from BWI to ONT tomorrow, that sounds awful, even at your payrate. Wow, barf!!! I can maybe see some younger RJ type pilots maybe enjoying that for a few years, but a career of that would be awful.... Guys at the legacies move upward and outward (INTL) as they grow older and more senior. Enjoy that 13 leg 3 day worth 26 trips.... Yutz!

Bye Bye---General Lee

No kidding - 16 bucks per flight hour to start. $14,400 per year at min guarantee. That's what I got at Eagle in 1995 and I bailed after four months because I got recalled from furlough to a job paying twice as much.

The regionals are going to try everything they can think of to attract talent with 1500TT in the next few years - except raising starting pay. :rolleyes:
We need a new law. Rasie the age for 121 F/O's to 95. Many of us love to fly and don't need the money. Build schedules of a week on, rest of the month off. Give us $500 a month, jumpseat, privileges, and chance to pass along a life time of learning to a new generation. Where do I sign up? Having a big birthday party for my 70th in September, anyone in the KYIP area is invited. PM me for details.

The ATP rule will likely drive up competition for part 135 and instructing jobs, therefor driving down wages.

We could see low-end 135 outfits once again requiring pay for training and even pay for flight time.

As many have predicted, there will probably be a painful shortage at the companies that have the least to offer their pilots.

I would not be surprised to see a couple bottom feeder airlines go right out of business.

It is also possible that super-crappy 135 operators will experience trouble as well. Although it will not be for lack of FOs, since there will be a line a million miles long for any job not requiring 1500 hours.

But left-seaters could pose a problem. However, one possible economic effect is that pay will shift from right seat to left, even more than it is right now.

It is plausible to see a case where a 135 operator will sweeten the pay package to retain a PIC, and subsidize it by paying slave wages for the FO or requiring them to pay for training. Or pay for time even.

The 9 seat commuter thing is something I had not thought of though. There could be a resurgence of super-small 9-pax plus cargo operators for some remote areas. Maybe I should find a couple King Air 200s and start a commuter certificate.

We need a new law. Rasie the age for 121 F/O's to 95. Many of us love to fly and don't need the money. Build schedules of a week on, rest of the month off. Give us $500 a month, jumpseat, privileges, and chance to pass along a life time of learning to a new generation. Where do I sign up? Having a big birthday party for my 70th in September, anyone in the KYIP area is invited. PM me for details.

You just can't stop lowering the bar can you?

Fvck all those guys trying to earn a liveable wage and move up the career progression ladder. As long as you get to keep flying you'll do it for nothing. If you're so well off, why don't you buy your own airplane, then pay yourself nothing to fly that?

Yeah, actual OPTIONS when it comes to type of flying, types of aircraft, and not having to do 25 min turns and multiple leg days forever in one type plane. Throw in frosty receptions from your future brothers and sisters that were treated poorly, and that sounds like a blast Canyonblue! Enjoy 5 legs from BWI to ONT tomorrow, that sounds awful, even at your payrate. Wow, barf!!! I can maybe see some younger RJ type pilots maybe enjoying that for a few years, but a career of that would be awful.... Guys at the legacies move upward and outward (INTL) as they grow older and more senior. Enjoy that 13 leg 3 day worth 26 trips.... Yutz!

Bye Bye---General Lee

Talk about growing older, I feel sorry for the long haul guys. They look 75 years old when they break into their 50s.........

Fvck all those guys trying to earn a liveable wage and move up the career progression ladder. As long as you get to keep flying you'll do it for nothing. If you're so well off, why don't you buy your own airplane, then pay yourself nothing to fly that?

He was kidding, no way anyone's life is that F'ng sad they would rather fly 121 in their "golden years" then actually doing something fun

So does that mean you are not coming to my birthday party, we are going to play pin the airplane on the aircraft carrier, should be right up your alley. BTW I do own an airplane, I teach people to fly for almost nothing, because it is fun to see these people's skills grow. Is that lowering the bar? BTW2 Why do hide behind a screen name, you probably have a lot to tell us of your Navy days?

He was kidding, no way anyone's life is that F'ng sad they would rather fly 121 in their "golden years" then actually doing something fun
I was making a funny, but some people are so self righteous, they just have no sense of humor.

Amazing. You may not need they money but some do and actually make a career out of it. Perhaps handing out carts at your local Wal-Mart is in your future. At least you'd make around the $500 that seems to meet your income requirement.

I hope the knee jerk reaction to all this is NOT raising the retirement age, but I fear that will happen...ICAO first, then us...too many factors support it: a looming demographic driven pilot shortage, smaller military, and now this ridiculous law...work till you die will be the future of commercial aviation....unless the drones take over...

Latest resources

Back