• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

NetJets Working on CASS Approval?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Jungle Jet, as a past airline employee, and current NetJets pilot, I have to disagree with you.

In my opinion, what makes us the best aviation company out there, is that management gives us the tools to get the job done.

If the planes dirty, pay someone to clean it. If it's missing stock, buy some. If we need services asap, whip out some more cash till it gets done. It's all reimbursed, and we know the company will pay us back without blinking an eye.....we do what it takes because we know management will back us up to do what it takes to get the job done.

Compare that to when I worked at the airlines. Nobody gives a crap, and that attitude starts from the top and goes down hill.

In the year or so I've worked here, I've said the words "I'm sorry" less than I usually did in 1 day while at the airlines. This is not an exaggeration.

At the airline I worked for, and I'm guessing it's that way at most of them, my job as a captain was to ensure I get people from A to B safely, comfortably, and on time. In that order, per the ops specs. They had people to clean lavs, toss bags, park us, cater us, etc. If they didn't show up, I would call ops till they sent someone. That was in my ops specs too. If I helped out and got hurt while tossing bags, I would have been SOL. Never mind a thank you, I probably would have gotten in trouble for doing it. Never mind the union issues involved in doing someone else's job.

Look at it this way, lets say it takes a crew of 5 to turn a plane. Toss bags, clean, cater, etc. Now 1 guy calls in sick, and because of your standard mismanagement, they didn't have anyone to cover for the sick guy. You bust your butt and help out this day. The flight leave on time. Guess what happens next? The 5 man crew goes down to 4 on a regular basis since it's obvious that it only takes 4 guy to turn a plane on time. "Hey look boss, I just saved some money, now I can justify another management bone-us"

Like most frac guys, I feel that airlining is the worst part of this job. The dirty planes, crappy service, delays, etc etc. There is plenty of blame to go around for the sorry state of the airlines, but I have a hard time recalling any crappy flight that was caused by the cabin/cockpit crew.

I paid for a ticked and expect to be treated like any other pax, but more often then not, I get tossed a free bottle of water, snack or get moved to first class without even asking. I'm very appreciative of that, but certainly don't expect it.

I knew this job entailed cleaning and tossing bags and going the extra mile. I enjoy doing it because I know I directly impact the passengers experience. While at the airlines I would go the extra mile and it was useless 98% of the time. I'd bust my butt, skip meals, take short cuts etc just to make up some time so they could make their connection, only to show up and have to wait 10 minutes for rampers, and another 5 for a gate agent. After a few years of banging my head against the wall, I gave up and just did my job. Aint My Responsibility became a way of life. That's not the way I like to operate, so I finally had enough and was fortunate enough to be able to get out.

ama...

I agree with 99% of your post..

Sometimes it takes just a little extra effort to get a flight out on time..or to make it more pleasant. Not a herculean effort, just something.

All because management fails does not mean we have too. Why punish the pax for those failures?

It was not like I did it on a daily basis, but if it needed to get done or it would impact our departure, then I felt obligated.

No, I don't owe them that level of service, the company I work for does. I am one cog in the machine. I do my job, and to the best of my ability. My job is not to wipe down lavs. My job is not to throw bags. If those things aren't getting done, don't bitch to me about it, bitch to the company I work for that isn't providing the service that you expect.

Keep it up, you make us look better.

Honestly, I hear very few airline guys say anything negative about the frac pilots. It's only when a small minority of your guys start acting holier-than-thou and telling us that we should be wiping down lavs and throwing bags to make their flight leave on time that we get pissed off.
For the record, I didn't "tell" you to do that. It was a suggestion to improve the experience of your pax. I also suggested opening up the strollers for parents traveling with small kids, and helping lost pax find their gate.

You and laserman just keep up the mediocre job you've been doing. As I said, it is sending your first class pax our way. I'll be happy to do the job you are too good for.

No, I don't owe them that level of service, the company I work for does. I am one cog in the machine. I do my job, and to the best of my ability. My job is not to wipe down lavs. My job is not to throw bags. If those things aren't getting done, don't bitch to me about it, bitch to the company I work for that isn't providing the service that you expect.

You represent that company. You and the company reflect on each other. Take a good look in that reflection and honestly tell me you like what you see? Are you proud of a dirty airplane? Or are you simply proud of the fact that you got your pax to their destination? Does it bother you that an average 10% of pax bags don't make it? As a paying passenger NOTHING makes me more upset than that. I'd rather be delayed or cancelled than lose my bags.

Getting back to the lav. If everyone would clean it just once a day, it wouldn't get so nasty. It REALLY isn't that big of a deal. Honestly, who's holier than thou???

It has been said that if you do these extra things for you company, you don't get to see anything for it. But you do! If management would change the corporate culture so everyone tried (anything!) JUST A LITTLE, your airline would start to stand out. People will notice. You would gain job security. Who in the 121 world REALLY has that?

I wish you and your carrier luck. If everyone else shares your ideals, you are going to need it.:beer:

Last edited:
ama...

I agree with 99% of your post..

Sometimes it takes just a little extra effort to get a flight out on time..or to make it more pleasant. Not a herculean effort, just something.

All because management fails does not mean we have too. Why punish the pax for those failures?

It was not like I did it on a daily basis, but if it needed to get done or it would impact our departure, then I felt obligated.

I agree, and I never punished the pax. I always kept them informed and helped them any way I could. I just gave up with calling ops 20 times for this and that. Towards the end, I also stopped apologizing for things that were not my fault. I just stated the fact that we were late due to _____

The negativity and hatred that is fostered due to the mismanagement is so toxic. I didn't realize how much so until I left.

You represent that company.

I have my own job to do, and as I said, I do it to the best of my ability. If the company screws up things that aren't in my job description, then that's on them, not on me.

Latest resources

Back