• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

NetJets Strike Vote Fails

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
This is where I really get confused. I really don't see why management's claim that they aren't making much money is all that unbelievable.

I know for a fact what it takes to keep a corporate department ranging in size from 1 to 25 aircraft running not attempting to make any profit paying their crews NBAA wages. Now you start trying to imagine what the operating costs of an organization the size of NetJets must be. The operational support structure that is required for dispatch, maint., cust. service., sales, etc... These are substantially greater than a Part 91 corporate flight department by an order of magnitude.

The start of the fractional business hid the flaw of the overall business model. In the early years the cash cow of the business was in the sale of shares. Now that they have to actually make money operating these planes the problems become apparent. Let's be real, the average business jet doesn't exactly yield the lowest cost/seat mile. Then you throw in the fact that these aircraft are essentially doubling NBAA utilization. I don't even want to think what the maintenance costs are trying to keep a Citation X in the air for a 1000 hrs. a year...

And yes, I realize that there are things like occupied hourly fees from the owners, monthly management fees, etc... The whole point of the fractional option for the customer standpoint is that it is in fact, A COST EFFECTIVE alternative. Everyone likes to say, "give us our pay raise, just pass along the cost to the customers..."

I'd like to see what the estimated increase in monthly fees and occupied hourly costs would be...

Let us say that over the entire NetJets pilot roster the average yearly income is $40,000/yr. and there are 2000 pilots (I have no idea how many there are, just for sake of arguement)... That means payroll (excluding ANY benefits) is $80 million. Lets say a new contract would yield you an average 35% raise. This would increase payroll by an additional $28 million/yr.

Last edited:
gunfyter said:
We do not hate our jobs... Just our worthless management. You know the one's who try to claim they can't make money in this business while paying pilots 1/2 NBAA wages.

This has been beat to death sooo many times it's not funny. You cant compare yourselves to NBAA Corporate Flight Department wages unless you want to work the same schedules. NBAA wages are based on staffing ratios of 3 pilots per aircraft while we have 5 pilots per aircraft. I dont care what dollar amounts you talk about, if you divide any number by 5 you will get a smaller result than when you divide by 3.

For example - lets say the owners collectively pay $300,000 per year for pilot wages. If you have 3 pilots per aircraft that yields a wage of $100,000 per pilot. If you have 5 pilots per aircraft you have a wage of $60,000 per pilot. What is so hard to understand about this?

It seems people still want to cherry pick the best attributes of the unionized airlines and the non-unionized NBAA jobs, all the while saying "we dont care if the company makes money - that's a problem for management to figure out"... little has changed since I posted this almost a month ago:

FamilyGuy said:
Vmax - you really should make up your mind as to what group you want to compare yourselves to.....

Is it going to be the unionized airlines or the non-unionized NBAA jobs?

It appears that you want to cherry pick the best attributes of both areas and also retain your current advantages that may not be present in the other areas.....

Bottom line is that the company has an offer of 23-40% raises on the table for the pilots, which will make them the highest paid pilots in the FRACTIONAL industry....which is what is really important.

If you prefer the perks of the airline world or the NBAA Corporate Flight Dept world then you should go there.....but dont fool yourself into thinking you can have the best of both worlds here.

If RTS is such a great CEO than why can't he pick a management team that is successfull? We have had about 6 different management teams since I have been here. RTS is the worst leader I have ever seen in the business world. Even Omaha was shocked.

h25b said:
Let us say that over the entire NetJets pilot roster the average yearly income is $40,000/yr. and there are 2000 pilots (I have no idea how many there are, just for sake of arguement)... That means payroll (excluding ANY benefits) is $80 million. Lets say a new contract would yield you an average 35% raise. This would increase payroll by an additional $28 million/yr.

h25b - As Quoted in the Columbus Dispatch on April 30, 2005:

"On average, union officials have said, NetJets pilots make from $50,000 to $72,000 a year."

Some Dude said:
If RTS is such a great CEO than why can't he pick a management team that is successfull? We have had about 6 different management teams since I have been here. RTS is the worst leader I have ever seen in the business world. Even Omaha was shocked.

That's the point, maybe making money with the NetJets business model is as hard as they claim, even WITHOUT giving you your raise...

FamilyGuy said:
h25b - As Quoted in the Columbus Dispatch on April 30, 2005:

"On average, union officials have said, NetJets pilots make from $50,000 to $72,000 a year."

I know, I was intentionally being conservative with my figures...

Some Dude said:
If RTS is such a great CEO than why can't he pick a management team that is successfull? We have had about 6 different management teams since I have been here.

Dude - I dont know where you've been, but I worked in a lot of different companies and they all have management turnover every 3-5 years. People come and people go. The only time people dont move around in this economy anymore is when they are in unions and seniority becomes an issue.

Some Dude said:
RTS is the worst leader I have ever seen in the business world. Even Omaha was shocked.

That's a lot of respect you have for the founder of the entire fractional industry. How many brilliant contributions have you made to this world?

Anyone that takes 2 minutes to scan your previous messages will see that you are strictly limited to taking potshots at people....you havent added a single original or creative thought to these discussions.

The common thread in all of your mistakes is YOU.

There you go again....

Your math is all wrong. So are your assumptions.

10 owners per plane can pay MORE in pilot salaries than just one owner.

One owner paying 3 pilots vs 10 owners paying 5 pilots per plane.

The 10 owners sharing one Citation 10 only pay 2 Million to buy the plane vs 19 million. They just saved 17 million a piece!

If one owner pays $300,000 a year for 3 pilots. 10 owners could collectively pay 10 times that or $3 Million for pilots. Divided by 5 pilots is $600 K per pilot... not the stupid $60K answer you gave.

Get the picture.

Schedules

This is more BS. I am happy to work NBAA schedules. As soon as I meet my 300 hrs for the year I am done though right? And the maybe 60 overnites.... I am done too.

Highest in the Fractional Industry... This is also BS. We are the fractional Industry.

gunfyter said:
The common thread in all of your mistakes is YOU.

There you go again....

Your math is all wrong. So are your assumptions.

10 owners per plane can pay MORE in pilot salaries than just one owner.

One owner paying 3 pilots vs 10 owners paying 5 pilots per plane.

The 10 owners sharing one Citation 10 only pay 2 Million to buy the plane vs 19 million. They just saved 17 million a piece!

If one owner pays $300,000 a year for 3 pilots. 10 owners could collectively pay 10 times that or $3 Million for pilots. Divided by 5 pilots is $600 K per pilot... not the stupid $60K answer you gave.

Get the picture.

LOL.......You are obviously unfamiliar with our industry.....Let me explain a key word to you - FRACTIONAL:

SYLLABICATION: frac·tion·al
ADJECTIVE:
1. Of, relating to, or constituting a fraction.
2. Very small; insignificant: a minor candidate's fractional share of the vote.
3. Being in fractions or pieces.
OTHER FORMS: fraction·al·ly
ADVERB

Let me explain this SLOWLY so you get the concept....our owners will buy a FRACTION of the aircraft, not the whole thing. In return they get a certain amount of hours to fly, not the entire annual flying hours for the plane.

So when 10 owners buy a fraction, they DID NOT save $17 million a piece! (This logic may have been used on you by your wife when she goes shopping, but it is a fallacy)

Also, those 10 owners are not each paying $300k per year for the pilots, they pay the share equal to the flying time they buy on the aircraft. If they buy a half share they would pay half, or $150k. If they buy a tenth, as in your example, they would pay a tenth, or $30k....

gunfyter said:
Schedules

This is more BS. I am happy to work NBAA schedules. As soon as I meet my 300 hrs for the year I am done though right? And the maybe 60 overnites.... I am done too.

Highest in the Fractional Industry... This is also BS. We are the fractional Industry..

If you want the NBAA schedules then go to a corporate flight department and work them. You may only fly 300 hours per year, but you'll be on call 24/7 and you wont have this union protection you seem so enamored with....

And you would be the highest paid in the FRACTIONAL industry, as I noted in this post almost a month ago: (Also note three other companies listed, so we are not the entire fractional industry)

FamilyGuy said:
The latest offer appears to meet the criteria demanded in your picket signs:

NetJets Pilots seek Livable wage
NetJets Pilots The industrys safest pilots deserve a livable wage
NetJets Pilots deserve an industry leading contract. Now!

Here are the current 5 year captain wages for the fractionals from airlinepilotpay.com. Doesn't the current proposal vault you to the industry leader position?

NetJets...............60,984
CitationShares..... 63,996
FlightOptions....... 66,372
FlexJet............... 70,737

If I assume the minimum 23% raise then that would yield a wage of over $75,000....something that should fit the definition of livable.

Last edited:
You do not have to explain anything slowly to me. The owners bought a Fraction of the airplane. Not a Fraction of the Pilots.

Ok you got your 1/4 share of an airplane.... Now who is going to fly the thing?

They as owners certainly did save 17 million a piece. Otherwise they would need to buy their own airplane or become a Renter... ie charter.

Someday I'll explain Fractional Banking to you.

Because in reality this is not an aviation company. Its a Bank. Thats why its not run by aviation people but by bankers like Buffett and Santulli. The aircraft are like deposits of monetary instruments and the pilots flight center folks and maintenance folks are like the tellers and others who work in a bank.

When you understand this you will understand why Uncle warren said... "We've had stupid competitors in the past, and they Bleed. We have more blood than they've got."

Its like fractional banking because the Deposits on reserve (airplanes) can be loaned back out multiple times. Just like a bank can lend about 10 times the reserve it is required to hold. Our competition won't succeed until they understand this.

You will never be able to explain anything to me because, well, I just know much more than you do.

Last edited:
gunfyter said:
You do not have to explain anything slowly to me. The owners bought a Fraction of the airplane. Not a Fraction of the Pilots.

Ok you got your 1/4 share of an airplane.... Now who is going to fly the thing?

They as owners certainly did save 17 million a piece. Otherwise they would need to but their own airplane or become a Renter... ie charter.

Someday I'll explain Fractional Banking to you.

Because in reality this is not an aviation company. Its a Bank. Thats why its not run by aviation people but by bankers like Buffett and Santulli. The aircraft are like deposits of monetary instruments and the pilots flight center folks and maintenance folks are like the tellers and others who work in a bank.

When you understand this you will inderstand why Uncle warren said... "We've had stupid competitors in the past, and they Bleed. We have more blood than they've got."

Its like fractional banking because the Deposits on reserve (airplanes) can be loaned back out multiple times. Just like a bank can lend about 10 times the reserve it is required to hold. Our competition won't succeed until they understand this.

You will never be able to explain anything to me because, well, I just know much more than you do.
EXACTLY RIGHT!

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back