• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

NetJets Smoking Question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
When owners smoke they not only put the crew in a health danger.

Come on man. That is ridiculous. I've been here almost 4 years and in that time I have had less than a handful of smokers. That is not a health danger.

Plus if you are THAT offended by it, put on the mask, or go to a 121 carrier where it is prohibited.

I didn't realize you were an MD. Must be tough doing all those transplants and fly those 7 day trips.

We have a lot of crews here that pride themselves on the marathons they run and the workouts they do. (i'm not one of them )

I don't care what they do because I do a lot of worse stuff to my body, but I'm not going to poo poo their healthy lifestyle or health concerns that they might have from 2nd hand smoke.

I guess it may not be that bad if you do not happen to be allergic. I probably have used about 30 sick days due to smoking flights... over 9 years.

I finally got on 2 allergy meds which cost me about $65/mo co-pay... and took shots every couple of weeks for 3 years... which has reduced the incidence of actually having to DNIF. But I still feel bad after exposure to smoke.

If you don't like the smoke, there is nothing stopping you from finding a different job where you won't encounter that type of health risk. God knows there are 100 people ready and willing to take your place that won't mind it.

Only 100? Probably 10's of thousands, but those here aren't going to lower a personal bar because someone else wants their job.

Good luck with that application.

If you don't like the smoke, there is nothing stopping you from finding a different job where you won't encounter that type of health risk.

Bingo.

It is a SMALL part of thejob.

If you can't stand the heat, time to get out of the kitchen

I didn't realize you were an MD. Must be tough doing all those transplants and fly those 7 day trips.

We have a lot of crews here that pride themselves on the marathons they run and the workouts they do. (i'm not one of them )

I don't care what they do because I do a lot of worse stuff to my body, but I'm not going to poo poo their healthy lifestyle or health concerns that they might have from 2nd hand smoke.

Never claimed to be an MD did I? I'm just saying that a couple of flights over the span of YEARS is not a "health danger" and is melodramatic. Chill out man

I am not an MD ... but I studied quantum electrodynamics in college.

Here is one of the major processes that cause lung cancer.

It was mentioned that a higher health risk exists because of the time one spends at high altitude. There is exposure to higher radiation levels.

Yes there is more radiation but the radiation mostly passes through you with no effect. HOWEVER if you are a smoker or have smoke or other particulates in the lungs...

Radiation particles adhere to the smoke particulates in the air and the lungs. The smoke particulates then stick to mucus in the lungs -- with the potentially dangerous radiation particles. If not for the smoke you exposure to these particles lasts only as long as the flight. Not so if you exposed to both smoke and radiation.

When these particles stuck in your mucus decay ... hours or days later ... you risk the cause of a cancer in the lungs.

This is the same reason living in a home with high levels of RADON gas can cause lung cancer ... but mostly only to people who smoke or work in very dusty conditions like a coal mine.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back