• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

NetJets China Set To Start Ops in Early 2014

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The opportunity is there for any NJA pilot that wants, to apply, and if hired, take a leave of absence for a year or two, then come back.

Does that answer your question?

God you take Dooshbaggery to the next level.

The opportunity is there for any NJA pilot that wants, to apply, and if hired, take a leave of absence for a year or two, then come back.

well then, I think I'm gonna give it a go.

Maybe they'll buy me a 7X or Global type

Can you point me to good info on the Chinese ATP and medical?

Pprune.org is where I got most of my info. Looks pretty tough for both of them. The medical, will be by far the most challenging for me, as sometimes I show up Red/Green color blind on the tests. (Depending which one) The medical was called the Chinese Astronaut medical a few years back. This helps in the searches. It has been evolving a bit in the last few years.

Well, let's see: You've got your blood draw, urinalysis, EEG, ECG, cardiac stress test, abdominal, cardiac and carotid ultrasounds, chest x-rays... and that's pretty much it for Day One.

Next up are the full eye and ear tests, colorblindness, blood pressure reading, followed by a full-body exam done in the nude - checking for scars, freedom of movement, hernias, etc. Folks over 40 will be also be subject to a CAT scan. Anomalies on any of the above tests result in either more invasive exams (biopsy, radioactive dye), or simply failure of the medical.

The ATP written is based (LOOSELY) on the FAA written, administered in largely the same manner. Translation errors and flat-out erroneous information abound. 70% is a pass, any more than that and you're just showing off. Unlike the other steps here, retakes of failed written exams are common.

The checkride is a bit of a wild card, largely dependent on the examiner you draw. Some candidates get little more than a LOFT, others end up on the standby instruments with a busted engine. Regardless of your performance, the examiner will take the opportunity in the debrief to run your skills and last company's procedures into the dirt. Any attempt to cut across him will not go over well.

If you can manage all that, then congratulations, you're among the most sought-after pilots in the world. Please negotiate with your employer accordingly. In my experience, once you get past the surly, incompetent, or just plain mean gatekeepers at the CAAC, things start looking up.

Last edited:
I can also pass along MGMT isn't touching this subject with a 10' pole in a recent recurrent. To be fair nobody pressed them on the issue but it was just mentioned in passing. Seems to be a different "focus" lately...

NJA management hasn't done a single thing for the furloughed (not that much is expected) and upcoming continuation of Union busting to focus on...

There is no way they are going to advocate/facilitate the use of current (or former) NJA Union guys to head up any new overseas operation... Especially with the number of qualified EXPATS looking for large corporate jet work... It's not like all of a sudden NJC is gonna have 200 a/c with no pilots.. This new venture seems nothing more than a little a/c management similar to every other operator out there (EJM). (with NJA's name tied to it)..

And who's to say these managed a/c don't already have their own pilots tied to them?

A couple of points.

1) A good friend is one of the 495 and has been flying in China for nearly three years. His first employer operated B-registered aircraft and, after a brief grace period, required the Chinese medical and ATP conversion including a checkride at FlightSafety SAV with a China-approved DPE. Thorough, but not rocket science according to him.

His more recent employer operates N-Registered aircraft based in Hong Kong and the conversion would not be required for that position.

2) Leaves of absence at NJ have been hit and miss. I know of a few pilots that have been granted LOA's with the company's full knowledge they were going to fly for another operator while on leave. Meanwhile, another good friend in my fleet asked for an LOA to go to Asia and was rejected specifically BECAUSE he was going to fly for another operator. He quit as a result. Personally, I would have filed a grievance for the unequal treatment.

His company also operates N-registered aircraft in HK and the conversion is not required.

3) Until something is published by the company, I will consider every rumor about NJ China hiring policy to be exactly that: a rumor. Perhaps there is a new LOA policy specifically for NJC but I have my doubts that they will offer TDY assignments to current NJNA pilots or preferential hiring to non-typed furloughs. It would be nice, but I'm not holding my breath.

4) The fact remains that typed and experienced large cabin pilots are in high demand in China, Hong Kong, Singapore, and elsewhere in Asia. That is unlikely to change any time soon barring total economic collapse (hey, Obama IS still in office....). Like anywhere else, there are good jobs, so-so jobs, and downright crappy jobs. And, like anywhere else in the corporate flying world, who you know is at least as important as what you know. Especially if they can help you avoid the crappy jobs. Caveat emptor.

Does that answer your question?

God you take Dooshbaggery to the next level.

I knew you could just say it instead of proclaiming your awesomeness for having information that you won't share. Good on ya 750.

Latest resources

Back