Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Diesel said:
Just a couple of points.

When United struck the pax flew on other carriers which was their choice. United didn't have american come in and start flying under the united schedule with united callsigns. The pax made the choice to fly on american or delta.

Netjets is trying to use it's supplemental lift (charters and vendors) to try and weaken the unions power. Basically bringing in the "replacements" so they can keep flying.

I really hope the union doesn't feel that charters and vendors are going to be scabs. I have a lot of friends in the charter world and this would really suck. I can see both points of view.

Catyaak, and turbine head and the others can spread your hate somewhere else.

Here is another way to look at that. While "They" (your owners)(who have no dog in this fight) may be able to keep flying. That will really make the financial hit larger on your company, therefore making them (NJ) respond faster.

For example. DOC on your 400XP's is around $900 per hour. Our Charter rate on ours is $1950.00 per hour. That is a huge increase in cost. Not to mention that when I do support trips for the fracs, I normaly have 2 dead head legs for every live leg flown (ouch) and they can not pass any part of those 2 legs to your owners. Now throw in the fact that they may have to upgrade to a larger aircraft to cover the trip because that is the only thing available, then it really hurts.

The Charter guys are not the evil here. We back you up during good times, and bad. Not to mention that when they are having to use every available charter aircraft out there, Many of them will not be in the same age and condition as your fleet. Many charter birds are rags. This will now cause your owners to put further pressure on management to fix your situation and get you back flying.

Some charter companies have new aircraft like we do, but not many. A large portion of the 135 fleet is going to make you guys look really good, So again dont take it out on the pilots that are doing their jobs.

El Chupacabra said:
Yes the ALPA scablist. Arrangements have already been made. Two former UAL MEC members (who submitted the names of the 1985 UAL scabs) now fly with us. Those that cross will make the list. We are direct communications with Judus Iscariot ... maintainer of the master scablist.

Pay no attention to an ALPA scab list.

ALPA will gladly accept a scab back into the union. In fact, the MEC will make him the head of a security committee. It's been done at ASA.

NJA Capt said:
Let’s reword this:

Well, the "less productive pilots" part just highlights the broad-based ignorance in corporate aviation.

Who are you kidding? 80+% of NJA pilots are former corp pilots. How many corp pilots have former frac experience?
Who knows who better?

How many corp guys are HOME every night?
How many corporate guys spend 150+ RONs/yr?
How many corp guys fly 4-6 legs/day, every duty day for a week?

How many corporate pilots have to travel 200-2000 miles to get the airplane they are assigned to……EVERY week?
How many corp planes return to their "base" 2 times per year?

How many corp planes fly 85 hours/month or 900+ hours/yr?
How many would/could fly that schedule with 1 crew per plane?

You guys do work hard...when you're at work anyway. It's the "at work" part that matters to the people paying the bills.

Nice little list of questions you have....

Most corporate guys aren't home every night. That's extremely rare.

Don't know how many, but quite corporate guys few spend 150 RONs/yr.

4-6 legs a day?..not many corporate guys do that, but of course when you do that you're doing it within the confines of flight and duty time regs. If you're doing commuter (or SWA) airline-type work, well, you know that before getting into it. Some people like it that way, others don't. I dont.

Don't know why you're whining about traveling to meet an airplane. You're doing it on company time withing duty time limits. Pretty much just plunking your butt in an airline seat and burning up a work day, or part of it. That's just like Waiting time except the scenery is changing. But I guess that goes with the territory of having a gateway system instead of moving to one base, doesn't it? Don't see why you're crying about it, or think it's a big deal.

Doesn't matter what "the plane does". You maximize your flying hours on duty days (when you're not airlining), but you're availability over a year is low. You work hard, and have lots of time off. That's the way you wanted it.

You don't have one crew per airplane, so I feel to see any comparison. Your crew needs are larger per airplane.

I doubt your claim of 80%+ of your group ae "former corporate pilots", if you mean coming from Part 91 flight departments flying jet equipment because by and large that's what ASAP is referring to when they cite "NBAA" salary averages and being "more productive". No doubt a few came from 91 flight departments, but the vast majority of NJA pilots come from the regional pilot ranks, charter, with some military tossed in.

If you mean that one of your ex-ASA (or whatever) guys at some point flew a Cessna 421 for some businessman in his past and therefore "former corporate", you're losing sight of the fact that this is not the type of operation where ASAP is deriving it's point of comparison.

niteflyr said:
Why accept this job? Because unfortunately it is still the highest paid job I have had yet. So don't lump all the low paying aviation job problems on the NJA group. We are doing our best to try to change this, in spite of all the others not wanting to pitch in with the effort. Somehow WE have become the bad guys in all this, pretty sad.

I think the low paying aviation jobs were out there prior to NetJets coming along. NetJets just adds a couple thousand (or how ever many pilots there are at NetJets) to the ranks...

How about doing a post on the corporate forum and look for some leads? I looked up your posts and didn't notice you doing this.

If you haven't found anything that pays better than NetJets in 15 years you had better start networking better, try breath mints, spell-check your resume, buy a better suit to interview in, marry a Chief Pilot's daughter, etc... But somehow I think there's forces at work greater than "there's no jobs out there..."

Are you open to moving? Where are you looking?

Nobody thinks you're the bad guys.... yet... Start playing the scab game though and all bets are off.

Last edited:
400A, your last post is spot-on.

Every NJ pilot should consider this:

If the 'owners' have NO lift they will look for another company and NJ as a whole will be in a worse market and financial postion.

If the 'owners' have to fly in charter airplanes, 1. It will cost NJ a ton of money, and 2. It will p$ss off the 'owners', but they will wait it out.

It makes sense.

What a stupid fight.

Ace

Your posts are so full of meandering drivel that I cannot address everything, so I will just point out this one.

CatYaaak said:
…but you're availability over a year is low.

2500 hr/yr based on 7/7, 14 hr duty days

vs.

2000 hrs/yr based on M-F 40 hr week.

NJA Capt said:
Your posts are so full of meandering drivel that I cannot address everything, so I will just point out this one.

that's 182 days worked per year, 182 days off. Each day on is a full day's work.

that's 260 days a year, 105 days off. Each day is AT LEAST 8 hrs as we're generally talking about non-exempt employees here.

What's your point?

Just another data point for you...

At Gulfstream - if the Demo pilots are working they're gone. The test pilots work at least five days a week and one weekend a month.

GV

NJA Capt said:

vs.

Let's talk drivel....your notion that Corporate pilots' availablility and work is limited to a M-F 40hr work week/ 2000 hr. work year. That's equivalent to 8 hours per day of working and/or availabilty, thus 16 hours per day not having to answer the phone if the office calls, including being untouchable every weekend and 2 weeks vacation.

Nice fantasy, but of course, completely ludicrous. You've truly lost it, and obviously have no clue what working a salaried position means, let alone one in corporate aviation.

So stay away from any corporate job, no matter how high the salary is if this is your expectation. You'll only find severe unhappiness and disappointment when you find out a company expects more for the salary they pay than you being able to switch off your phone for all but 2000 hours a year. No doubt you'd be crushed to find out that there's no such thing as "overtime pay" either.

This lies at the heart of why ASAP's comparison about "productivity" is a total joke, and we all know it. You easily fool yourselves, that much is clear ("nobody works as hard as we do..waaah!"), but what's even funnier is you thinking you can gloss over your hard time-off reality in your effort to convince anyone it's unjust you're not on par with NBAA averages.

If such statements are indicative of the brainpower of your new union leadership, then frankly, you're doomed. Either they are so green and clueless to the business they actually believe it themselves, or have already gone down the road of telling you just what you want to hear, relying on your ignorance for your support.

Last edited:
CatYaaak said:
So stay away from any corporate job, no matter how high the salary is if this is your expectation. You'll only find severe unhappiness and disappointment when you find out a company expects more for the salary they pay than you being able to switch off your phone for all but 2000 hours a year. No doubt you'd be crushed to find out that there's no such thing as "overtime pay" either.

Right on Cat.

They want to stay away from corporate because they will have to WORK with nothing but their individual performance to protect them. Would have to do their own flight planning (no ops to hand them their flight plan) and would have to get their own meals - no whining where is my breakfast where is my lunch- you might not eat all day and you will have to like it.

You screw up, you gone.

See it is all about giving. Union mentality is a taking mentailty. What can i get for the least amount of effort. Those who are individual achievers - overachievers- are those most successful in any venture especially corporate aviation. Corporations can pick and choose the cream of the crop, the rest go fractional where they drift along as a number-just another type rated human machine driving the airplane looking for ways to get more money for less work.

Proof of concept: those pilots whose self worth is so low they would accept sub par wages that cause them to have to join the WIC program. Hellooo? Get out there and achieve more. Find a better job challenge yourself.

Someone said i was spreading hatred. You mean threatening fellow pilots in the industry for doing THEIR jobs in the event of a strike is not HATRED? You people are twisted. Its like a cult you belong to this ASAP. They are brainwashing you. They are imposing these "rules" ....who cares about your rules...who the frig do you think you are?

The quagmire grows more quagmirey by the day.

Good luck.

Latest resources

Back