• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

NetJet is gonna EXPLODE!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
This is from AIN. I do not normally read the rag but a bud at NJA told me 'bout this one.

There’s no doubt that the economic downturn has hurt sales of both new and used aircraft throughout the industry. (General Aviation Manufacturers Association figures for the first nine months of 2002 show new business jet sales down 12 percent and turboprop sales down 40 percent.)

This has hurt the fractionals–some more than others–because sales of new airplane shares have always accounted for most of their revenue.

The operational side of the business (flight hours and monthly management fees) has not been nearly as profitable as new share sales. In fact, for most frax providers, according to Riegel, it has not been profitable at all. “Before about 18 months ago,” he said, “volume sales of aircraft up front were offsetting losses from operations. Now they’re not.”

I wonder...

I wonder if anyone out there has crunched the numbers on a mid-size airplane's monthly fee at any fractional operation. My first reaction to the AIN article was doubt, but then I thought about my fixed cost increases over the last two years. Here are a few to ponder: insurance 97%, training 17%, salaries 10%, health care 42%, utilities 22%, airport property lease rates 9%. The list goes on.

So, here is my point. A fractional can charge $50,000 per month to manage a new airplane with low maintenance cost and run red ink.

Be safe.

gunfyter said:
Do the math... There is NO way a 25% raise will be accepted. We WILL attain a Professional salary on THIS contract.

Gunfyter,

I wish you all the best in your negotiations, but this is undoubtedly one of the worst times to be negotiating in this industry. Having operational flying experience (CE750 vendor ops) in the Netjets environment, I can say say this from first hand experience. I don't feel the pilots are in a position of power, based on current economic conditions. Tread very carefully and think about all the possible outcomes before acting. The unemployment line is not a fun place to be ....

Regards,

Hope you guys get some kind of a raise. A strike would suck. If it does happen though it will not be under the protections provided by the Railway Labor Act. NetJets does not meet any of the criteria spelled out in the RLA so it will be more along the line of a traditional teamsters strike.. Good luck with that.............

Mach92 said:
Its 100% or im off to Law school !!!!!

Remember these handy phrases:

"I object!"

"Your honor, my I approach the bench?"

"I am through with this witness"

"The Defense rests"

Sorry, I couldn't resist... I truely wish the best for all the NJA guys... but I think some of your have highly unrealistic expectations of what you are going to get out of this deal...

Good luck to all, and please accept the above a a bit of humor... which is the only intent it had...

Falcon Capt : I accept the humor :) Hey we have to shoot high at NJA. Were so low I could make more $$ at McDonalds. Whats really sad is our owners (or at least the ones I talk to if they bring it up) think we make 100-200K to fly them. They think that because of what there being charged by NETJETS in management fees. Someone is makeing out and at the moment it sure isnt the pilot group. I just flew a couple whos net worth is 14 BILLION. He owns a company, I wont mention here but its the largest world wide for what they do. We can debate all night long what we all think were worth. So I let you tell me what is a Citation X capt worth? We at netjets(on the X) fly to Europe, Hawaii, Central America, Mexico and lets not forget every mountain airport possible in the lower US. I find it funny that lots of people who post here slam us on our pay and what we need. I made more money tossing bags for UAL in 1989 then I do now flying a 20 million dollar jet.

I am curious. All CS captains start at $64k. They can easily do $6k in overtime. This means a first year Captain at CS will make ~ $70K. This would be reflective in the CJ, Bravo, or Excel.

I am aware that the pay at NJA based on salary alone is ridiculously low. It seems however, that you have a rather convuluted system to account for overtime and other pay. Tell me; With normal amounts of overtime, what will an Excel captain earn in a given twelve month period.

I, for one, certainly hope that you guys at least end up at current industry standards. It is sad that they have taken advantage as long as they seem to have.

To V1RT8:

I am a 3rd yr X Capt and I grossed 51K in 2002. I have no control of overtime. And now the company is very stingy with extended days. I am on the 7/7 and not about to work 8 days in a row. Of course on the Ten, I spend a lot of time in the service center! A 4th yr Capt makes 4833/month by the way so a 100% pay increase is not out of the question.

Latest resources

Back